• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Letter of Introduction to new command still required?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
From the non-aviation side, I sent a letter or e-mail each time. I figured sending one could only help and not sending one could only hurt.

"From the Aviation side", had you done this in my time-frame ... you would have been considered to be a faggot or maggot, pick your choice of spelling. But then; I guess it's about "kinder, gentler" these days ... :)

"From the Aviation side" ... you were preceded by your REPUTATION as an Aviator ... not by a letter of introduction. :icon_wink

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For what it's worth, I believe it's still a fairly common practice (or at least acceptable) in the Surface community. Maybe BigRed or one of the other 'token' SWOs can confirm that.

If you're looking to go SWO, check out SailorBob.com. They have a thread on this topic.

All my friends in my ROTC class that went SWO wrote letters, but as show here it's a community dependent thing. Maybe find a buddy who is in your field (though not at your prospective command) to give you a heads up?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I did not realize that a question about protocol would stir such a debate. :p I have to keep reminding myself how different each of the communities (Aviation, Submarines, Surface) are within the Navy.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Otherwise, no, a formal letter of introduction is not required. Neither are calling cards, a sword, or a swell collection of phonograph records.

That was the worst $20 I ever spent going to TBS. I think that came out of the Marine Officer's Guide and transmitted on to me at TBS as well. Still waiting to see the mythical calling card dish at all the formal functions I attend. As it was, they just look like the crappiest business cards ever ("Where's the phone number on this?")

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I did not realize that a question about protocol would stir such a debate. :p I have to keep reminding myself how different each of the communities (Aviation, Submarines, Surface) are within the Navy.

LOL. The closer you get, the less you'll have to remind yourself of that fact.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
From the non-aviation side, I sent a letter or e-mail each time. I figured sending one could only help and not sending one could only hurt.
That's because you're in a non-warfighter pussy community......
1.gif

For us warfighters, it is not necessary, not desired and will only result in ridicule of our manhood.
2.gif

1.gif
:D

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
That's because you're in a non-warfighter pussy community......
1.gif

For us warfighters, it is not necessary, not desired and will only result in ridicule of our manhood.
2.gif

This could also be considered Tactful and Subtle, in a different kind of way...I like it better :D

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
HAL, your retired, I gotta figure at this point the only "war" your fighting is the war against erectile dysfunction and osteoperosis :)
You haven't met my ex-wife.....Al-Qeada and the Taliban are nothing compared to her..... :icon_rage

Now that I'm on the 767, I have access to the Aussie hookers in Sydney. They'll cure any case of erectile dysfunction. If they break my bones in the process, well I got the LBFMs in Manila to massage me back together. Great R&R as I recover from my personal war. :D

exhelodrvr

pilot
Assuming that you have leave enroute, I would say at a minimum to let them know when you are planning on checking in.

exhelodrvr

pilot
As it was, they just look like the crappiest business cards ever ("Where's the phone number on this?")

LOL! I don't think I used a single one of my Ensign cards (from USNA); thank goodness that, for a small additional price, they included the metal printing plate so that it would be cheaper to get the new ones each time I got promoted.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
LOL! I don't think I used a single one of my Ensign cards (from USNA); thank goodness that, for a small additional price, they included the metal printing plate so that it would be cheaper to get the new ones each time I got promoted.

So you could print even more cards that you wouldn't use?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Ah, yes...the Midstore Mafia. Fun times. If only the Feds would start looking into that deal, the RICO charges would come fast and furious. Kickbacks, forced purchases, and half the crap they sell you before graduation borders on a scam. They present calling cards, etc, as a "you need to get this" thing, and yet not once do the company officers or Dant Staff ever pipe up with a "What? You don't need that BS!"

Bought their silence, I tell ya!

Not to mention the dead dogs in King Hall and the silencing of The Log.