• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Letter of Introduction to new command still required?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Gents,

I'm reading The Naval Officer's Guide, and The Naval Institute Guide to Naval Writing in preparation for some - hopefully - positive results from the December DCO Intel board :D

In the The Naval Institute Guide to Naval Writing there is a section on letters, memos, and directives whereby a "letter of introduction" is mentioned. Specifically, the book explains that a letter of introduction should be written to a new command.

I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with this type of letter.

Many thanks...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was it a pre 1900 edition?

Old_Salts-SSDS.jpg

Sure it wasn't an email of introduction? :)

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
Write a letter of intro to a Squadron CO and a callsign will be born. Seriously though, I agree with HJ's point, that document is a bit dated.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Write a letter of intro to a Squadron CO and a callsign will be born. Seriously though, I agree with HJ's point, that document is a bit dated.

Coming from a former CO, I think you have your answer. I think we had a thread on this waaayyy back talking about someone who actually wrote a letter only to have it read in front of the Ready Room upon arrival. Don't be that guy!

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Coming from a former CO, I think you have your answer. I think we had a thread on this waaayyy back talking about someone who actually wrote a letter only to have it read in front of the Ready Room upon arrival. Don't be that guy!

Does this advice apply across the board for all (i.e., SWO, Intel, et al.)?

I'm a DCO Intel applicant (Naval Reserve Direct Commissioning Program) and, although I was enlisted for 6 years, I've been out of the game for a few years and am trying to read as much as I can prior to the DCO board's results.

Many thanks for the responses...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's nothing really wrong with touching base with your new squadron before arrival, but keep it at the JOPA level. If you can, drop by the spaces one day, say howdy, introduce yourself around, that kinda thing. If skipper wants to meet you, he will find you.

On the other hand, if you do none of that and they don't see your smiling face before you check in, that's perfectly fine, too.

Otherwise, no, a formal letter of introduction is not required. Neither are calling cards, a sword, or a swell collection of phonograph records.

phrogpilot73

There's nothing really wrong with touching base with your new squadron before arrival, but keep it at the JOPA level. If you can, drop by the spaces one day, say howdy, introduce yourself around, that kinda thing. If skipper wants to meet you, he will find you.

On the other hand, if you do none of that and they don't see your smiling face before you check in, that's perfectly fine, too.

Otherwise, no, a formal letter of introduction is not required. Neither are calling cards, a sword, or a swell collection of phonograph records.
And that's why I'd say never say never. It's good headwork to call and talk to the JOPA. Get a feeling for the CO. If the CO is expecting a letter, they'll let you know. For what it's worth, I never wrote a letter, but I know of someone who's CO appreciated it (a SWO).

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And that's why I'd say never say never. It's good headwork to call and talk to the JOPA. Get a feeling for the CO. If the CO is expecting a letter, they'll let you know. For what it's worth, I never wrote a letter, but I know of someone who's CO appreciated it (a SWO).

Word of caution, DON'T ask them if you should write a letter or someone might decide to set you up!

navy09

None
Does this advice apply across the board for all (i.e., SWO, Intel, et al.)?

For what it's worth, I believe it's still a fairly common practice (or at least acceptable) in the Surface community. Maybe BigRed or one of the other 'token' SWOs can confirm that.

If you're looking to go SWO, check out SailorBob.com. They have a thread on this topic.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From the non-aviation side, I sent a letter or e-mail each time. I figured sending one could only help and not sending one could only hurt.

Are you freakin' kidding me??? Look where it got this guy...out of the NAV.

Do not send a letter or you'll look like a tool and never hear the end of it. This is aviation, not the pork-chop club.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Are you freakin' kidding me??? Look where it got this guy...out of the NAV.

Do not send a letter or you'll look like a tool and never hear the end of it. This is aviation, not the pork-chop club.

I am not going aviation or SWO.. I am a DCO Intel applicant (i.e., Reserve Intelligence).