• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lets be honest now.....

Zotak

I know you always hear from everyone "no matter what you will fly you'll love it" and do believe it to a certain extent, but have any of you or know someone who just wasn't happy with the community they got "stuck" in? More specifically, guys who really wanted jets and got selected for helos? I know low and slow sounds pretty damn cool, but was just trying to see if there are exceptions to the rules. BE HONEST NOW!!!!!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Zotak said:
I know you always hear from everyone "no matter what you will fly you'll love it" and do believe it to a certain extent, but have any of you or know someone who just wasn't happy with the community they got "stuck" in? More specifically, guys who really wanted jets and got selected for helos? I know low and slow sounds pretty damn cool, but was just trying to see if there are exceptions to the rules. BE HONEST NOW!!!!!

When I was editor of Approach, I got to visit just about every community and certainly talked to folks from every one of them. I found everybody I met to be very passionate about where they ended up despite what they originally wanted. However, there is one guy I met on my nugget cruise who flew S-3s and he told me repeatedly how much he hated the airplane and his community. He got himself a flag aide job and switched to the A-6 only to have community evaporate before he screened for command, but he did get some quality time before that happened.

FlyingBeagle

pilot
I'd like to know if anyone (or how many) end up selecting jets and then wishing they had picked P3 or helos instead.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
Guessing by your interservice transfer post and this one that you didn't get what you wanted out of primary and want to go looking for other ways to get it. Am I close??

Nope. Wanted fighters from day one and signed up for USMC because of guarantee that PLC offered. When Vietnam was winding down, I ended up in Pentagon out of TBS waiting for a flight school slot and Navy fighter pilot offered me immediate orders to PCola if I switched over. So I got what I wanted, just in a different service. Slight irony is I signed up hoping for Tomcats in USMC (they were supposed to get them and even had first cadre at Miramar in VF-124). If I had stayed USMC, I would have never gotten Tomcats, but by switching to Navy, I was able to get what I wanted (interestingly...my advisor in flight school was a USMC Tomcat guy).

batman527

Banned
heyJoe, I think UI's post was directed at Zotak, who's only other post involved an interservice transfer from the Navy to the Air Force.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
heyjoe said:
He got himself a flag aide job and switched to the A-6 only to have community evaporate before he screened for command, but he did get some quality time before that happened.

What, the War Hoover isn't quality? What are you gettin' at Joe? :D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HooverPilot said:
What, the War Hoover isn't quality? What are you gettin' at Joe? :D

I didn't say that...he did. But this guy is an 0-6 now and rarely happy. One of his squadronmates was so wild that we tried to get him out of Hoover into Tomcats...they actually banned him from their admin so he joined ours...he was later the guy who dropped the drop tank on a Iraqi patrol boat in Desert Storm. Definitely liberty risk...definitely warrior to the core...definitely not PC...they sent him to USNA as an 0-6....I ran into him in town last year and he was still livin' LARGE...my head sure hurt in the morning. I think he was showing mids how to go over the wall....in whites no less...if you are a war Hoover type, you know the legend, and it's all true.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
heyjoe said:
he was later the guy who dropped the drop tank on a Iraqi patrol boat in Desert Storm.

Met him, drank with him, felt not so good later... Mucho respect for the man. Good story on the tank on the patrol boat though.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HooverPilot said:
Met him, drank with him, felt not so good later... Mucho respect for the man. Good story on the tank on the patrol boat though.

We made him an honorary member of our squadron..patches and all. Larger than life for sure and great fun on liberty

helosusmc

West Texas Skid Trash
I wanted jets out of primary, had the grades for them, and the Marine Corps gave me helo's. Now I haven't been out to the fleet yet, but I wing in about a week, and I can HONESTLY say I will be MUCH happier in a helicopter than in a jet. For what the mission is now over in Iraq and where we're headed, there isn't a better job out there than being a helicopter pilot in my opinion.

Lawman

None
Wasnt that S-3 pilot featured on the Viking episode of "Sea Wings" that the discovery channel ran back in like 95'

I just remember somebody made an attack on a patrol boat and ended up dropping a buddy store or something? Said they got the boat but it pissed the CAG off something fierce.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman said:
Wasnt that S-3 pilot featured on the Viking episode of "Sea Wings" that the discovery channel ran back in like 95'

I just remember somebody made an attack on a patrol boat and ended up dropping a buddy store or something? Said they got the boat but it pissed the CAG off something fierce.

That's all he had to drop and I'd say pretty fine piece of flying to figure out where it was going to go...not exactly designed for that

Not surprising that CAG might be a bit upset...CAGs have to worry that others might try same thing and hazard themselves

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
Quite a first post.
I'll let Punk expound on this one.
You read my mind. There are a handful of pilots that show up to the Prowler RAG with the proverbial fighter chip on their shoulder, but very few of them maintain that attitude very long once they fleet up.

Brett

Lawman

None
heyjoe said:
That's all he had to drop and I'd say pretty fine piece of flying to figure out where it was going to go...not exactly designed for that

Not surprising that CAG might be a bit upset...CAGs have to worry that others might try same thing and hazard themselves

Sorta like the Canadian Hornet that apparently fired an AIM-7 at a Patrol Boat. That made for an interesting story around the camp fire will all us Boy Scouts and our former Canadian Air Force Hornet Driver/Scoutmaster.