• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lets be honest now.....

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
gatordev said:
I didn't know Foxtrots could shoot. True?

Unless something changed in the last year or so, they can't (although people talked about making them a hellfire truck).

I'm not sure why you are asking that question though. That picture is a Sierra I think.

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
E5B said:
Happens all the time. When I selected there were quite a few Marines that were die hard Helo and hit the jet draft at the right (or wrong) time. Then my neighbor while I lived in Milton (he's on Airwarriors, maybe he'll tell you his story) was a die hard helo guy but got jets and just recently winged for Harriers.
Hey, that's me!

I was a die hard helo guy all through primary, and while honored, I was a slight bit bummed to select (i.e. drafted into) jets. However, I'm extremely happy things turned out the way they did. I still would have loved to fly a helicopter, but I have done things I never would have dreamed of in jets. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have changed a thing.

It's all about your attitude. Like someone has already said here, there is no bad platform in the Marine Corps. Each has its own perks and down sides. If you go into this adventure focusing on being a Marine and an aviator, you will be a happy person. The only guys I see who hate life are the ones who joined the Marine Corps to fly one specific aircraft. If they don't get what they want then they see all their time and effort as a waste. It's the same for the ground guys at TBS who only want one MOS. Hey, by all means try to get what you want, but if you put all your eggs in one basket, you are setting yourself up for failure.

I can count on one hand how many times I've gotten my "first choice" when it come to the Marine Corps, but I've rarely regretted any of the outcomes.

HOORAH

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
Zotak said:
Keep this train runnin'... Anyone else want to chime in about their/buddies experiences?
Yeah I'll jump on. HAHA!!

OK so this isn't a direct thing, kind of heresay in a way I guess but anyway...

My fiance's cousin is an enlisted Marine about to get out in less than a month and he is the most bitter person I have ever met. I try not to talk to him actually because everytime I talk to him he ticks me off. I try to make the best of any situation, especially one I put myself into i.e. joining the MC, and he does NOT! So I'm talking to him last week and says to me, "I know 6 officers that want out BAD!" basically trying to get me to not take my commission I guess. And all I could say was "well good for them." Then he says "well you know 3 of them are aviation 2 jets 1 helos and the other 3 are infantry." And it just annoyed me, the whole conversation was pretty much him *****ing and me saying nothing. What am I suppose to say? Great you're bitter? IDK apparently there are people out there don't like their decisions and don't know how to make the best out of a crappy situation. Whatever.

I'm kind of in the same boat as Goose I guess. IDK what I want because it all interests me. I guess I need to find out more about the communities. I figure if I don't get my hopes up in really wanting this or that then I won't be dissappointed in what I do get. Just my thoughts. I just like flying, that's about it. :D

reapergm

There was a navy Lt in API who was a 53 pilot. I asked if that was his first choice. He said no, he wanted jets. I told him I bet hes so much happier flying the 53 now.. he said hell no... he still wants to fly jets!! Vance kinda sucks... but atleast one thing the AF has going for them... seems like everyone I met gets to fly anything and everything. There are tanker pilots teaching the T-38!! I wish that the Navy and Marines gave you options to try new aircraft during your career.. but oh well. If I dont get what I want.. atleast I know as a Marine I can try something new in the B-Billet and maybe feel like a real Marine for once...

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
reapergm said:
There was a navy Lt in API who was a 53 pilot. I asked if that was his first choice. He said no, he wanted jets. I told him I bet hes so much happier flying the 53 now.. he said hell no... he still wants to fly jets!! Vance kinda sucks... but atleast one thing the AF has going for them... seems like everyone I met gets to fly anything and everything. There are tanker pilots teaching the T-38!! I wish that the Navy and Marines gave you options to try new aircraft during your career.. but oh well. If I dont get what I want.. atleast I know as a Marine I can try something new in the B-Billet and maybe feel like a real Marine for once...

Can't please everyone. Though it may not be like the old days, what makes you think you can't fly different aircraft in your career? Any pilot can attempt to change platforms. My hats off to those who get it and are successful. I know a few people who have done just that. Jake, if you're out there, you're still my hero.........he's flown H-60's, F-14's, F-18C's and F-18E's. In addition, prop guys can fly T-45's as IP's...even some helo types as I understand it. My good Marine buddy flew CH-53's and now fly's C-12's and Learjets (not sure of the designator). I've only flown C-2's in the fleet, not for lack of trying not to, was sent to the FRS without my consent but I will finally fly something different. I was offered T-45's out of Meridian but went with T-34/T-6 out of P-cola. Not a fleet aircraft but finally something different.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
bunk22 said:
Can't please everyone. Though it may not be like the old days, what makes you think you can't fly different aircraft in your career? Any pilot can attempt to change platforms. My hats off to those who get it and are successful. I know a few people who have done just that. Jake, if you're out there, you're still my hero.........he's flown H-60's, F-14's, F-18C's and F-18E's. In addition, prop guys can fly T-45's as IP's...even some helo types as I understand it. My good Marine buddy flew CH-53's and now fly's C-12's and Learjets (not sure of the designator). I've only flown C-2's in the fleet, not for lack of trying not to, was sent to the FRS without my consent but I will finally fly something different. I was offered T-45's out of Meridian but went with T-34/T-6 out of P-cola. Not a fleet aircraft but finally something different.
I know a guy who flew 60Bs, then made the jet transition to Prowlers and he's currently on an exchange tour with the USAF flying A-10s in Afghanistan. Switching platforms can be done, but it's usually at the expense of your career (I.E. probably won't make Skipper).

Brett

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot
reapergm said:
Vance kinda sucks... but atleast one thing the AF has going for them... seems like everyone I met gets to fly anything and everything. There are tanker pilots teaching the T-38!!

Well, no kidding, considering that only a few years ago EVERYONE went T-38s in the AF because there were no T-1s and that was the only advanced platform.

The 38 was the AF's only advanced platform for a long time. People started flying T-38s when they were still flying C-47s! Does it make sense that you could possibly be an instructor one day in your advanced platform???

Pags

N/A
pilot
Also, make sure you research all the community options. There are a bunch of old threads in here on the subject that have helped others (myslef included). I've seen people who filled out selection cards with all San Diego without having a clue as to what the different Navy helo communities do.

Pags

N/A
pilot
squorch2 said:
That's a Block III Sierra. Which hasn't come online yet.

Complete with a utility hydraulic system for the express purpose of.....wait for it.....minesweeping.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Brett327 said:
I know a guy who flew 60Bs, then made the jet transition to Prowlers and he's currently on an exchange tour with the USAF flying A-10s in Afghanistan. Switching platforms can be done, but it's usually at the expense of your career (I.E. probably won't make Skipper).

Brett

Yes, tough to make CO or even become proficient at what they do joining so late in the game. I know two who made CO (non strike community) and both had to do back to back sea tours with a lot of away from family time. IMO, not worth it.