• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lemoore Oceana or Miramar

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Ok so Oceana isn’t all bad news compared to Lemoore

Better question - if shit blows up with China are they going to send out Atlantic based Strike Groups to Pacific Deployments? I know they did Vietnam and I thought I’ve seen Norfolk based VFA squadrons out on Pacific deployments

You might as well pick the place with the best beaches and QOL while you wait for your chance to die, and not spend the rest of your days smelling cow shit.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or you be like the Garudas and get a “deployment” at freaking Spangdahlem. Hard duty, but I guess someone’s got to take one for the team . . . ?
They already took one for the team themselves by spending 10+ months in Al Udeid. That said, they’re probably flying their asses off over Poland and Romania with not a whole lot of time off.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
They already took one for the team themselves by spending 10+ months in Al Udeid. That said, they’re probably flying their asses off over Poland and Romania with not a whole lot of time off.
They were. They got home a couple of weeks ago.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

A rare night off in Germany >> almost any sandy deployment spot, JMHO.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A rare night off in Germany >> almost any sandy deployment spot, JMHO.
More to the point, neither of which involve embarking for long periods of time aboard The Floating Gray Prison for Aviation Overachievers.

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
I went to boot camp in San Diego, Millington for “A” school, then Oceana to VF-31. Two cruises on the FID, last one I did a duty swap to VAQ-142. The next 27 was at NASWI. Out of all the bases I’ve seen it was the best hands down for me.

Did SuperFam in Lemoore for two weeks and that was enough for me.?

Would have loved a tour in San Diego, but my rate doesn’t work on helos. So no real reason for a detailer to send me down there.

Oceana was ok, lots of women to chose from, beaches, good food. But I just didn’t like the east coast being I was born and raised in the northwest.

Obviously I’m not a pilot, but I do believe all the ones I released aircraft to loved the flying at NASWI.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I went to boot camp in San Diego, Millington for “A” school, then Oceana to VF-31. Two cruises on the FID, last one I did a duty swap to VAQ-142. The next 27 was at NASWI. Out of all the bases I’ve seen it was the best hands down for me.

Did SuperFam in Lemoore for two weeks and that was enough for me.?

Would have loved a tour in San Diego, but my rate doesn’t work on helos. So no real reason for a detailer to send me down there.

Oceana was ok, lots of women to chose from, beaches, good food. But I just didn’t like the east coast being I was born and raised in the northwest.

Obviously I’m not a pilot, but I do believe all the ones I released aircraft to loved the flying at NASWI.

Coming from a VFA, primarily Oceana background as an active guy, to VAQ as a reservist, I agree. Whidbey is fantastic. I remember coming back at 2100 or so one June or July a couple years back, in full daylight, from a BFM flight over the offshore training range. The Olympics were still capped in snow. Baker was a nice pinkish red in the distance to the east, and looking south you could see Rainier, Adams, a bit of St Helens, and Hood. The strait and sound were full of folks partying on boats or coming home from offshore. I got home and kicked back on my outdoor couch on the back deck and drank some great PNW beers under a full moon listening to the owl that lives in our back tree line. I'm born and raised in the northwest too, so I'm probably biased, but that is a snapshot of the place. I'd also submit that NASWI has much better facilities, housing, and MWR type stuff, than Oceana or Lemoore. The only real downside is these next 8 months :)

Dhoop29

None
Coming from a VFA, primarily Oceana background as an active guy, to VAQ as a reservist, I agree. Whidbey is fantastic. I remember coming back at 2100 or so one June or July a couple years back, in full daylight, from a BFM flight over the offshore training range. The Olympics were still capped in snow. Baker was a nice pinkish red in the distance to the east, and looking south you could see Rainier, Adams, a bit of St Helens, and Hood. The strait and sound were full of folks partying on boats or coming home from offshore. I got home and kicked back on my outdoor couch on the back deck and drank some great PNW beers under a full moon listening to the owl that lives in our back tree line. I'm born and raised in the northwest too, so I'm probably biased, but that is a snapshot of the place. I'd also submit that NASWI has much better facilities, housing, and MWR type stuff, than Oceana or Lemoore. The only real downside is these next 8 months :)
As a primarly Oceana guy, you're 100 percent right, Oceana seemingly hasn't been updated, or renovated in 30 years. I shake my fist angrily at the VAQ/VP kids that get such an underrated choice.