• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lemoore Oceana or Miramar

Renegade One

None
...my experience was at -101, where it was just a crap shoot for Navy guys...
If you're talking about a time when the Tomcat FRS was "one coast" and the squadrons were still "bi-coastal"…I get that. Does that still apply to the Hawkeye community? I know the Prowlers/Growlers have always sipped from a different cup…one FRS, one base, but bi-coastal (or expeditionary) wings to support. Hardest stuff I ever did was being in a west coast air wing assigned to an east coast CV for two cruises…talk about time away from home...

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
If you're talking about a time when the Tomcat FRS was "one coast" and the squadrons were still "bi-coastal"…I get that. Does that still apply to the Hawkeye community? I know the Prowlers/Growlers have always sipped from a different cup…one FRS, one base, but bi-coastal (or expeditionary) wings to support. Hardest stuff I ever did was being in a west coast air wing assigned to an east coast CV for two cruises…talk about time away from home...

All Hawkeye and Greyhound guys go through VAW-120 in Norfolk before being sent to Pt Magu, Japan, San Dog, or staying in Norfolk.

This post is about ten years old. I'm just resurrecting the thread to see if the information is still good. Leemore vs Oceana are now the only options after selections

I get that the west coast is more laid back than east coast.

Trying to get an idea of what the OP Tempo and different mission set, at least in the VFA squadron, are between the coasts?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
This post is about ten years old. I'm just resurrecting the thread to see if the information is still good. Leemore vs Oceana are now the only options after selections

I get that the west coast is more laid back than east coast.

Trying to get an idea of what the OP Tempo and different mission set, at least in the VFA squadron, are between the coasts?

Based on your EFMP post you may not even have a choice with Oceana.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
VFA between the two coasts is pretty homogenous now days as far as culture and mission sets go. I'd say the bigger differences are QOL and culture between the single seat and two seat communities.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Based on your EFMP post you may not even have a choice with Oceana.
I think you mean Lemoore?

My wife was EFMP, I went to Oceana.

Portsmouth is right there. Lots of medical care options in the Sentara network for all sorts of stuff that would require an EFMP enrollment.

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I think you mean Lemoore?

My wife was EFMP I went to Oceana.

Portsmouth is right there. Lots of medical care options in the Sentara network for all sorts of stuff that would require an EFMP enrollment.

Sorry, Lemoore.

I meant to say I know there’s some EFMP conditions where the member / family must be nearby a major MTF, like Portsmouth.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Sorry, Lemoore.

I meant to say I know there’s some EFMP conditions where the member / family must be nearby a major MTF, like Portsmouth.

Ohhh. Yeah. He may not have a choice but to go to Oceana. I see it now. It wasn't written in all caps in crayon so I didn't get it the first time.

Ok so Oceana isn’t all bad news compared to Lemoore

Better question - if shit blows up with China are they going to send out Atlantic based Strike Groups to Pacific Deployments? I know they did Vietnam and I thought I’ve seen Norfolk based VFA squadrons out on Pacific deployments

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Who knows. If you go east coast generally they do Med and 5th fleet deployments. But dude please don’t be picking which coast you go to based on what would happen in a highly improbable wartime scenario instead of things that will actually impact your life during the next 4 years.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok so Oceana isn’t all bad news compared to Lemoore

Better question - if shit blows up with China are they going to send out Atlantic based Strike Groups to Pacific Deployments? I know they did Vietnam and I thought I’ve seen Norfolk based VFA squadrons out on Pacific deployments
Or you be like the Garudas and get a “deployment” at freaking Spangdahlem. Hard duty, but I guess someone’s got to take one for the team . . . ?