• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lemoore Oceana or Miramar

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Coming from a VFA, primarily Oceana background as an active guy, to VAQ as a reservist, I agree. Whidbey is fantastic. I remember coming back at 2100 or so one June or July a couple years back, in full daylight, from a BFM flight over the offshore training range. The Olympics were still capped in snow. Baker was a nice pinkish red in the distance to the east, and looking south you could see Rainier, Adams, a bit of St Helens, and Hood. The strait and sound were full of folks partying on boats or coming home from offshore. I got home and kicked back on my outdoor couch on the back deck and drank some great PNW beers under a full moon listening to the owl that lives in our back tree line. I'm born and raised in the northwest too, so I'm probably biased, but that is a snapshot of the place. I'd also submit that NASWI has much better facilities, housing, and MWR type stuff, than Oceana or Lemoore. The only real downside is these next 8 months :)
Best part is you don’t even really need to take advantage of on-base facilities because you’re based in a beautiful part of the world with an abundance of activities. Or you can rent a boat from MWR to go crabbing in the Puget sound.

I was flying back from the Olympic MOA after a RAG AAR flight with a Super Hornet from 122. The entire time back the pilot was talking about how lucky we were to be based there. 100% concur.

Bad_Karma_1310

pilot
Best part is you don’t even really need to take advantage of on-base facilities because you’re based in a beautiful part of the world with an abundance of activities. Or you can rent a boat from MWR to go crabbing in the Puget sound.

I was flying back from the Olympic MOA after a RAG AAR flight with a Super Hornet from 122. The entire time back the pilot was talking about how lucky we were to be based there. 100% concur.

While completely fair talking about how awesome that area is, a underrated aspect of Lemoore is the awesome variety of outdoors stuff here as well.

The flight to the R2508 takes you over Mt. Whitney, the flight to W-283/285 takes you over Big Sur and the flight to Fallon takes you over Yosemite. All those are in very easy day/weekend trip range and spending almost every weekend in the winter in Tahoe with your buddies skiing makes up for a lot of shittness in the Valley.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
While completely fair talking about how awesome that area is, a underrated aspect of Lemoore is the awesome variety of outdoors stuff here as well.

The flight to the R2508 takes you over Mt. Whitney, the flight to W-283/285 takes you over Big Sur and the flight to Fallon takes you over Yosemite. All those are in very easy day/weekend trip range and spending almost every weekend in the winter in Tahoe with your buddies skiing makes up for a lot of shittness in the Valley.

No doubt. 2508 was awesome flying too, and the Sierras are beautiful to fly over and play in. Having said that, best part about Whidbey is if you choose to stay home as opposed to hop in the car for the weekend, it’s a genuinely nice place to be.