• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Legal question

89-LX

Schnugg - Happened at 0145, off 2 major roads. I am 100% innocent. I stopped like the police told me to in the parking lot so that the police may arrive.

snow85 - Expect a PM in approx 3 minutes.

snow85

Come on, the FBI would have given him twins!
wink said:
If you are found not guilty of a criminal complaint you are good to go. They don't care that you are arrested as long as you are not guilty.

no, they don't care, but you still have to disclose that it happened. if you don't, there will be an integrity issue at play.... not a good thing.

wink said:
As to the civil suit, small claims or otherwise, you can not ship to OCS with any civil action outstanding. The case would have to be resolved before you go on active duty. And the Navy does not care whether you win or lose civil cases as long as you make good on any obligations arising out of the civil disposition.

this is not true. you can go. your CO can request a stay under the Servicemember's Civil Relief Act until you can appear. you'll probably have to submit a copy of your orders and an affidavit to the court. actually, i know you will. i've done it. (logically, think about this. how else do AD kids get divorced? that's a civil suit.)

89-LX

Btw, I have 3.5 years left of college till I go to OCS. So civil suit shouldnt take too long.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
89-LX said:
Btw, I have 3.5 years left of college till I go to OCS. So civil suit shouldnt take too long.

Never underestimate the inefficiency of the American court system...

89-LX

ChunksJR said:
Never underestimate the inefficiency of the American court system...

Good point. lol Right here is a prime example of the American legal system at its finest.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm curious, and I'm not trying to Quarterback your event, I just want to know cause well, I'm like that. Why did you stop?

89-LX

Fly Navy said:
I'm curious, and I'm not trying to Quarterback your event, I just want to know cause well, I'm like that. Why did you stop?

Officer on the phone told me to stop so that an officer may arrive. I will answer any questions on these forums publically. I have nothing to hide. I did everything the legal way, and it obviously is not worked.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
snow85 said:
this is not true. you can go. your CO can request a stay under the Servicemember's Civil Relief Act until you can appear. you'll probably have to submit a copy of your orders and an affidavit to the court. actually, i know you will. i've done it. (logically, think about this. how else do AD kids get divorced? that's a civil suit.)
What CO? I am talking civilian applicants going to OCS off the street. I can honestly say I have no experience with the divorced thing, but the Navy does not want to take someone that will later incure an obligation post facto. You need to be clean of just about every obligation except legit loans and previous court orders, such as child support.

KBayDog

89-LX said:
Nope, SE Michigan.

If you don't live in Vermont, you don't know how jacked up our legal system can be at times.

(Yes, I realize this is old news - and the sentence has been changed - but it is jacked up, regardless.)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
89-LX said:
Officer on the phone told me to stop so that an officer may arrive. I will answer any questions on these forums publically. I have nothing to hide. I did everything the legal way, and it obviously is not worked.

No, sorry, I mean you were pulled from your car. You'd have to be stopped in order for that to happen. Why'd you stop?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
If you don't live in Vermont, you don't know how jacked up our legal system can be at times.

(Yes, I realize this is old news - and the sentence has been changed - but it is jacked up, regardless.)

Activist judges have no place on the bench.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Dude, no offense, but if someone tried to pull me out of my car I'm driving the hell away. If he stands in front of it, I'm going to run him the **** over. This all goes back to the police in your area being completely inept. I can just picture the conversation: "911 can I help you?" "Yeah, these guys just threw a bottle at my car, and I think they're trying to mug me. What should I do?" "Sir, just pull over in the parking lot and we'll be right there."

Of course you're in a panic and are going to trust the authorities. The common sense answer would've been "Sir, you're in a car. They're on foot. Drive away."

89-LX

Fly Navy - I pulled into the parking lot, stopped, got out my papers for the officer (license, insurance and registration) and thats when they came.

Spekkio, they were in a car. They threw the bottle at my car when I was driving past them. I did not think they were going to mug me. I called and said that 2 guys just threw a bottle at my car, and here is the plate number. I am at x and x. He said ok, pull over and an officer will be there shortly. End of convo.