• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
interesting, the rumint we heard is hours are good for legacy hornets. according to the avplan selections start to drop off a lot after this year, from I think 22 to 12 roughly until sundown.

There is a realm in which both statements could be true- 120 hours a year could be considered good, especially when compared to what that community has been through in the past.

Duc'-guy25

pilot
Hello All,

Does anyone know what is happening to the Harrier and Hornet pilots once their platforms are retired? Do they automatically go over to F-35 B’ sand C’s respectively?

It appears that the Corps is cutting down on their F-35’s order meaning there will be less F-35’s (B’s and C’s combined) than Harriers and Hornets. Does this mean that the jet spots coming out of Primary are extremely limited due to the older platform guys getting first shot at transferring over?

I tried searching and asking around but no one I ask seems to have a clue.

Thanks for help.
They take us out behind the barn and thank us for our service.

Some will transition, some won’t. The legacy commands manage people based on requirements until sundown and career desires. There’s plenty of people that want to stick with legacy platforms until their last flight and then get out.
interesting, the rumint we heard is hours are good for legacy hornets. according to the avplan selections start to drop off a lot after this year, from I think 22 to 12 roughly until sundown.

USMC TACAIR pilots are flying roughly the same across the board in monthly flight hours for all T/M/S. Hornets are are doing a lot of UDP fills which generally means healthy flight hours when they’re out there, Harriers will continue to fill MEUs. I doubt you’ll see another newly minted aviator select for Harriers though.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Does this mean that the jet spots coming out of Primary are extremely limited due to the older platform guys getting first shot at transferring over?

No. USMC generally views ROI on a CAT-1 (new pilot) as better than converting a Legacy platform pilot.

If we could evolve past the up and out manpower system and wrap our minds around the notion that post-DH hinges can only be a non-flying staff officer or a CO, that’d probably change, we’d save a lot of $$, and be a more lethal force.

Duc'-guy25

pilot
No. USMC generally views ROI on a CAT-1 (new pilot) as better than converting a Legacy platform pilot.

If we could evolve past the up and out manpower system and wrap our minds around the notion that post-DH hinges can only be a non-flying staff officer or a CO, that’d probably change, we’d save a lot of $$, and be a more lethal force.
Or better, let us stay hero’s as Captains in the fleet!

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Or better, let us stay hero’s as Captains in the fleet!

I was about to add 2P'd Captains and Majors continuing to fly in the fleet, or having aircrew be professional aircrew do nothing but fly a la commonwealth countries. Visiting foreign countries and watching them operate the same equipment we do, only better, is always depressing.