• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Left seat or right, big deck or small boy, FLIR up..or down?

MasterBates

I have flown helos that needed bags or such in the other seat for W&B if the pilot was light (I don't have that issue)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
CNATRA always made me take a sandbag.

Oh , no, I know they did! I'm just saying that the Bell 206B3 series aircraft (aka TH-57B and C in all respects) are happily flown single pilot with no one in the left seat and I have ferried may a helo that way.

I get it that CNATRA has their own rules.

and there have been many a HT-8/18 IP who decided to depart on a solo flight on a Saturday afternoon without their student on board while weekend RON on a cross country :)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
and there have been many a HT-8/18 IP who decided to depart on a solo flight on a Saturday afternoon without their student on board while weekend RON on a cross country :)

Haven't seen that. I would submit that they're stupid. How would you conceivably explain that if something went wrong? I'm not about living one's life by cya, but for god's sake, leave yourself a plausible story!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Just sayin... in my day it wasn't completely uncommon.

Granted all it took was a chip light and you were busted.

Ongates

Thoughts from an old guy

There is an film at the AHS Museum that attempts to chronicle the actual reasons for the pilot being in the right seat in helicopter... The various reasons are provided by early helicopter pioneers with several, obviously bogus, reasons provided by me... My favorite as an H-2 guy was that the co-pilot had to sit on the left so that he could signal turn intentions to the cars following your aircraft as it was towed back to Lakehurst...