• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Left seat or right, big deck or small boy, FLIR up..or down?

Pags

N/A
pilot
The "pilot" flies from the right in helos

I'd heard this but have not seen it. There is no pilot/co-pilot seat in helos. You have to be able to fly from either seat equally well, no excuses.

A lot of times it depends on what seat the off-going HAC was in when it comes time for the hotseat.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
In the 60F (and I assume the 60B) it is true. The controls and the display for the tactical plot are only located in the left seat. For example during Anti-Submarine ops, (I am in ASW ground school right now) the left seat pilot decides where to drop sonobouys and dip while the right seat flies.

MasterBates

Left seat in the 60B is ATO, Right seat is pilot.

No weapons controls, computers or display controls on the right, only flight instruments.

All the pilot has is the AFCS contol, and both seats can reach the Jettions Alll Stores-Sono button.

MasterBates

Here is a Block-0 60B cockpit, note the "TV" on the left (it's really the MFD) and the keypads for it on the left. Block-1s will have a "joystick" mounted to the left side of the center console for the FLIR/HELLFIRE controls.

SH-60B%20Sea%20Hawk2.jpg

SH-60B%20Sea%20Hawk.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Short answer--it is customary in side-by-side seating helos for the aircraft cmdr to sit right seat, copilot left seat. This has carried over to tiltrotors as well.

This may change for training needs, facilitating hotseats, and whims of the pilot.

Supposedly this started with one of Sikorsky's first helos, which only had one collective for 2 pilots, located in the middle. Right hand cyclic, left collective is easier, so the boss, Mr Sikorsky, got dibs.

KBayDog

The Phrog has pretty much identical controls on both sides. Aside from a few switchology differences, primarily overhead (left side has better access to most internal/external lighting, for example), there is very little difference in the two seat positions.

Seating is up to the HAC, based on what the crew is doing that particular day. (We try to mix it up so that we are comfortable in both seats (the sight picture for landings is different depending on which side you sit).

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
So do all Naval helos require 2 crewmembers at all times? Or can you fly single pilot for FCF events?

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Some are cert'ed for single pilot--AH/UH come to mind. They'll usually put an e-dog in the other seat for FCF. The assaults always use 2 pilots.

MasterBates

You can be "single pilot" for MIDN flights and such, but you need to have 2 people in the seats to engage rotors.

As an FCP I could turn by myself with a Mech in the left seat, but there had to be 2 in the helo to turn up.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
TH57 also single-pilot FCF, but you need a body in the left seat for balance.

Pags

N/A
pilot
60S has identical controls on either side, with similar access to all necessary switches (with the exception of a few light switches). The only time I get picky about seats is going to the boat or other events when I want the flying pilot to be close to an obstruction.

Like Kbay said, you need to mix it up so the FNG doesn't become handicapped to one seat or the other. Boots tend to like to fly right seat, because it's what they know, but the need to be able to fly just as well from either seat.

As far as FCF goes, we need two pilots (Per SOP, not NATOPS). In order to turn a helo, there needs to be a pilot at the controls.

KBayDog

Boots tend to like to fly right seat, because it's what they know, but the need to be able to fly just as well from either seat.

Do they fly right seat in the RAG? New Phroggers fly only in the left seat (in the RAG).

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
60S has identical controls on either side, with similar access to all necessary switches (with the exception of a few light switches). The only time I get picky about seats is going to the boat or other events when I want the flying pilot to be close to an obstruction.

Is that also true for your FLIR? Our Hand Control Unit is mounted how MB described. Is yours the same? I have seen pictures of Army Blackhawk where the control unit is mounted in the middle of the center console.