• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

leave charged over holidays?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
For Thanksgiving (or other 72/96 hour holidays) if you submit an out-of-bounds/special liberty chit, it doesn't count as leave (as long as you're not missing any work), and you're not eligible for watch. For example, I just got one approved for noon next Wednesday through that Sunday, to go home for turkey day. No leave charged. Christmas is a special case, since it's not one long liberty but a few of them with duty days thrown in, but this works most of the time.

Just FYI...It's all well and good that you are getting that deal, but for the record, that's not a legal special lib chit. You've got a 120 hour lib chit there, which is more than an O-6 can authorize. Not a big deal unless something bad happens while you're gone.

FlyingBeagle

pilot
If you were going out of town for xmas, but staying in the wing's radius, is there any good reason to take leave?

FlyingBeagle

pilot
I thought only the week checking in got watch? If I really don't want to have to get called back during the 22nd-3rd, I need to take leave, even if I'm only going to be 300 miles away?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I thought only the week checking in got watch? If I really don't want to have to get called back during the 22nd-3rd, I need to take leave, even if I'm only going to be 300 miles away?

its the only way to be sure...
typically they try to give duties to the new guys but that doesn't always work.

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
If you're checking in to CTW-6, then be ready to stand watch if you don't take leave. They usually have a hard time getting people to stand watch, so the people who are staying behind without taking leave will more than likely get several shifts. If you want to be sure that you won't have duty, regardless of how far you're traveling, taking leave is the best bet.

FlyingBeagle

pilot
I was told liberty radius was 350 miles, and I was planning on taking liberty and staying within 320. I was told I had to take leave anyways because I was leaving the local area for more than 3 days, even if I stayed in the radius. Is this how it works? If not, is there any way to get that leave time back? How is "local area" defined if it has nothing to do with the radius?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It goes back to one of my earlier posts. An O-6 can only grant you 96 hours of liberty, so if you're taking more than that, you have to go on leave to be legal, regardless of radius. The radius thing is totally in house of your local command (whether that's Schools Command, TW-x, or squadron). Looks like since they're saying you'd be gone more than 3 days (72 hours), they're just making it easier on themselves and realizing you will probably be gone at least 4 days (96).

The way to "get the leave back" is to check in off of leave, but that's no good, since then they'll expect you to muster and be available for "things."

Crowbar

None
Just take the damn leave. A few days here and there won't hurt you in the long run.

If you insist on saving your leave so you can lose it a few years down the road, then do what the fleet guys have already said. Be smart about when you actually check out/in. For instance, if you took the whole period but were going to be in town, you could check out the day after Christmas and check back in the night of Dec 30th. That way you'll still get your holiday weekends but you'll save 5 or 6 days in the process. (This assumes you'll be staying in the area the entire time). If that's not the case, then adjust your leave start/end dates according to which weekend you'll be out of town. I.e. if you want to go home for Christmas, then come back, start whenever, then come back on the 30th. Or if you want to stay here for Christmas, then be out of town for New Year's, start on the 26th.

One thing you should have learned by this point is to ask the salty guys/gals in your class how to do things like this. The ensigns and 2nd lieutenants with gray hair can be a good source of info.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Crowbar said:
Just take the damn leave. .... One thing you should have learned by this point is to ask the salty guys/gals ... can be a good source of info.

Damn straight! Do not be that guy who has the accident 400 miles from station. Not only will you end up paying for all your medical bills, be AWOL for the time you are in the hospital, you may also face disciplinary action when, if, you ever do return. Been there, seen that. Play by the rules, ensure that your subordinates play by the rules.

Back in the day, the 350 mile limit was in place. I always understood it was what the Navy considred a "safe" driving distance for one day.:D