• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

leave charged over holidays?

theduke

just checked into TRAWING 6. sounds like they're gonna charge us leave over holidays if we fly anywhere or go outside of 350 miles (for 72s and 96s). whatever happened to special liberty requests/out of bounds requests?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's pretty much standard Navy wide. An out of bounds request is a training command-ism, and it doesn't give you free time to go out of bounds, it's just a CYA for the command so they know you're going out of bounds. As a student, I always thought the liberty radius was bogus, since the regs don't say anything about it, but the command has the right to be more restrictive. Now, after having to hunt down several guys who have worked for me while in the fleet after they haven't returned, I understand why the radius is there, painful, though it may be.

theduke

right, right, i understand that an out of bounds request isn't a free lunch in terms of getting leave without getting charged (if it's a working day). it just didn't seem quite right to get charged for leave over Thanksgiving or Christmas, for example, just because I'd be going to Raleigh (when I could go to say, Atlanta, and not get charged for leave).

Is this just another one of those "it makes no sense, but it is what it is" scenarios?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Pretty much, but it also helps cover you if you get hurt. Then you're officially "in the line of duty, off duty" or whatever. I can't remember what the actual blurb is, but I'm sure someone will correct me in mere minutes.

HalfBreed

None
theDuke, do you know when Christmas leave dates for TRAWING 6 are going to be? Like when can I expect to be allowed to leave, etc.

My API class is already getting screwed by API since we are supposed to graduate the Friday after Thanksgiving and they refuse to tell us when we are going to graduate.

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
TRAWING-6 leave period is 22 Dec - 03 Jan. That isn't guaranteed, per se, but as long as you run a leave chit you can expect to prob get that time.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
My API class is already getting screwed by API since we are supposed to graduate the Friday after Thanksgiving and they refuse to tell us when we are going to graduate.

If its the Friday immediately after Thanksgiving, I'll guess it'll be the Friday the following week. You probably won't have any class Thanksgiving week, and get pushed back a week. Don't look at it as being screwed, free days off man

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Just wait to you have been in the fleet a while and they start taking away your extra days.

You can only have a max of 60 days on the book at the end of the fiscal year (sometimes more if deployed, combat, etc). If you have more than 60 on 30 September, you have 60 on 01 Oct. Gone, bye bye, nothing for it.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
^ Second that...you know it's bad when you reach that point of looking at your LES after taking a sh!tload of leave and think, "I STILL have use or lose left?"

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Leave is all inclusive start to finish, even if a holiday falls in the middle. Pick your start/finish time wisely and you can save a day or two. A smart YN should be able to help you with this in your admin.

Now basket leave...that's a whole other thing.

Shadow9660

I'm in IFS up here at Quantico and should finish the end of NOV...possibly get down there (driving) before the christmas holiday...could i get earlier leave than that, and if so, do you recommend buying a plane ticket back home now since they are getting expensive...or will i have to wait?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Leave is all inclusive start to finish, even if a holiday falls in the middle. Pick your start/finish time wisely and you can save a day or two. A smart YN should be able to help you with this in your admin.
Yes, always pick your days smartly. Just be sure you don't run your chit through a SWO. Why? Cause we'll make sure you get charged an extra day or two; because we can, and we're good at it. :eek:

jbelsha53

USMC NFO
None
For Thanksgiving (or other 72/96 hour holidays) if you submit an out-of-bounds/special liberty chit, it doesn't count as leave (as long as you're not missing any work), and you're not eligible for watch. For example, I just got one approved for noon next Wednesday through that Sunday, to go home for turkey day. No leave charged. Christmas is a special case, since it's not one long liberty but a few of them with duty days thrown in, but this works most of the time.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Guys, trust me, just take the leave. I remember whining about having to take leave to go to some such place. Speaking from experience, by the time you get out of the training command, you will have a REDICULOUS amount of leave. When I reported to the RAG, I had 35 days on the books and now I have close to 53 or something like that. Just take the time. You'll get it back. I PROMISE.