• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leather Jacket Changes

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I saw lots of of the First Navy Jack on jackets before. Are we still flying the First Jack on ships? Personally, I liked that.

It reverted back to being flown only on the on the oldest commissioned ship in active status in 2019. As much as I love the flag I think it was the right decision, especially as it is likely historically inaccurate while the Union Jack is.

Since we are on the subject of flags and wearing them on our uniforms it still bugs me a little that we wear the US flag on the 'wrong' shoulder of our Type III's, I blame the Army for that stupidity.

Scruff

None
Contributor
Ha, proud owner of TG patches, however, I do think their business model of their wait lists and taking forever to deliver is a fair criticism.

I posted this in a different thread, but I ordered a name tag about 3 months ago thinking it would take a minimum 6 months, but it hit my FDNF mailbox in about 3 weeks. Huge change from the order I placed 8 years ago.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I posted this in a different thread, but I ordered a name tag about 3 months ago thinking it would take a minimum 6 months, but it hit my FDNF mailbox in about 3 weeks. Huge change from the order I placed 8 years ago.
Wow. That's incredible and a heck of a change. Mine and my buddy's took a little under a year to arrive, but the worst I saw was when I was checking into my JO squadron, they had just gotten an order of patches they had placed about 3 years prior. By that point, only 2 of the original people in the order were in the squadron, the rest had to be found, and the squadron had gone from HS to HSC. Can't argue with the quality, but man, at some point, the time spent waiting makes ya look elsewhere too.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
We have an Active Duty CO in my AF Reserve squadron. It's highly irregular. He's a nice guy, but the Reserve mentality never really clicked for him and we're all looking forward to give him a wonderful send-off at his upcoming change of command. Since my squadron hasn't issued me any clothing (aside from a pair of sweet Reebok boots), I still rock my Navy gear...including brown leather jacket with TG patches.

First time he saw me wear my Navy jacket he was intrigued.

Second time he asked the Chief Pilot, who was standing nearby, what he thought of my Navy jacket. Unbeknownst to our CO, the Chief Pilot has had his AF leather jacket highly modified by a shop near the air base in Turkey, to include a very non-standard (for AF) fuzzy collar, special silk lining, extra pockets, etc. Chief Pilot's response: "I think it's sweet!"

Third time he saw my jacket..."[Callsign], don't you have any other jackets?"
"No sir, I've never been issued anything by the AF so I'm wearing what I've got. It's really cold outside, sir." ?

A few days later one of our junior copilots texts to ask what size leather jacket I want. I told him I've already got a leather jacket ?. Copilot then ordered me a Massif jacket instead ?‍♂️

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
We had some short work ups to do onboard the Iwo (I think...might have been the Kearsarge). We had some fake name tags made up which were pretty popular...Vince Clortho, Randy Watson, Jeff Lebowski, Jeff Spicoli, and Ranier Wolfcastle were quite the hit. XO of the boat got a kick out of it, but told us that would be the last time Team Hollywood hit the flight deck.

I do remember a Marine Major riding me about my shiny new flag patch while walking down to the paraloft one day, "Hey Captain America...nice flag!" I was unimpressed..."Nice Flag"...that's what you come with? "You forgot your shield" would have been more clever. But my best flag memory was breaking down at Sde Dov Airfield in Tel Aviv...a lot of local Israeli Army or Airforce came out to chat us up and their reputation for good looking female soldiers is 100% justified. A really good looking blond woman with a machine gun asked me if I wanted to trade flags. Yup.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Totally unnecessary thread jack…..

At a meeting today I saw a USN CDR (O-5) who works a staff job. He is (was) a SWO and was wearing the star/anchor command at sea pin. My question is this…Once an officer earns that pin can they always wear it? Just curious.

Pcoola19

Totally unnecessary thread jack…..

At a meeting today I saw a USN CDR (O-5) who works a staff job. He is (was) a SWO and was wearing the star/anchor command at sea pin. My question is this…Once an officer earns that pin can they always wear it? Just curious.
Yepp from my understanding once you’ve earned Command at Sea/Shore you can wear from then on out.