• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leather Jacket Changes

Pcoola19

What's up with flag patches no longer being authorized on the leather jacket? Did SWO leadership think ours were cooler?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
What's up with flag patches no longer being authorized on the leather jacket? Did SWO leadership think ours were cooler?

This hasn't been allowed officially since at least 2010, which is when I was first issued my leather jacket. I read somewhere (USNI Blogs I think?) that they haven't been authorized since 1999.

Pcoola19

This hasn't been allowed officially since at least 2010, which is when I was first issued my leather jacket. I read somewhere (USNI Blogs I think?) that they haven't been authorized since 1999.

I remember reading in the regs a few years ago that the American Flag patch was still authorized. I've never seen where the Navy Jack was good to go, but now it looks like they've pulled everything.

Notanaviator

Contributor
That is how it was done and authorized back then, several older folks when I came in had similar setups.

Fair, and I'm certainly not the one to weigh in on regs and what was authorized, etc., just odd that he had a bunch of SEABEE/SWO stuff mixed in with the VF/centurion type stuff you'd expect.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Fair, and I'm certainly not the one to weigh in on regs and what was authorized, etc., just odd that he had a bunch of SEABEE/SWO stuff mixed in with the VF/centurion type stuff you'd expect.
Let’s not get hung up on the stupid shit on his jacket. Didn’t he wear an E-2 patch that whole movie?

Pags

N/A
pilot
"Willing suspension of disbelief."

I'm sure some costume guy just picked stuff he thought looked cool and conveyed a certain ethos vice accuracy.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

His particular jacket was a Hollywood creation with whatever patches looked good as is the new one, though PRC-friendly this time.

Let’s not get hung up on the stupid shit on his jacket. Didn’t he wear an E-2 patch that whole movie?

His 'VF-1' patch was VAW-110's with VF-1 on it.