• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Latest Drops

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
zippy said:
it probably doesnt really matter unless whoever is comparing is from the same squadron.

I think so too. There is NOONE here with a 1.38 in any catg except Nav, and Really that is just based on your cross country. I went at the end of Instruments so I smoked it, but guys who went early one average around 1.10-1.15ish, still high compared to other catg where the avg is around 1.05-1.08ish. I will repost here to let you know how I did, but I will say that the grading here is tougher than what I have gathered from other primary squadroms. How easy is it to Unsat a ride where you are? Its a normal occurance around here. I have only 'hooked' one ride, but the average is 3-4. I really wish someone could tell us how to figure out a fail safe way to see how we are doing. I hate the 'just do the best you can' response. JUST SAY YOU HAVE NO IDEA EITHER D*ckhead! LOL

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Im my primary squadron it was pretty common for individuals to have "pieces of flair" in their ATJ... it seemed like a far less common occurance in the other squadron.

When i selected, all the Navy students got fixed wing platforms (jets, e2c2, p3, e6) and there were more jet slots then P3 slots... the week before and after it was mostly helo slots. Past selections have absolutely zero bearing on future selections... right now it does seem if you want P3s or helos you'll get them. Things could change tommorrow though.

ThetaChi

pilot
jg5343 said:
Also, I turned in my dream sheet Thursday and put J2 first, and then E2/C2 second. My question is this, if there are no jets to kingsville, will they know that my first choice is jets regardless of where? Or do I have to put J2 and J1 as my 1st and 2nd choices? Seems kinda weird that you would have to put jets twice....

Yeah...you probably should have put J1 2nd if that was what you wanted after your first choice. From what little I learned in my selection experience, they tend to take your preference sheet literally. I doubt it will matter, because it REALLY IS primarily based on the "needs of the navy" that week (good timing helps) which you have heard ad naseum. It is likely that if you have jet grades in the eyes of the board that week, you will get your first choice....just keep in mind, not always. :icon_zbee

FLY_USMC

pilot
jg5343 said:
How easy is it to Unsat a ride where you are? Its a normal occurance around here. I have only 'hooked' one ride, but the average is 3-4. I really wish someone could tell us how to figure out a fail safe way to see how we are doing. I hate the 'just do the best you can' response. JUST SAY YOU HAVE NO IDEA EITHER D*ckhead! LOL

There are only 3 guys in my flight that haven't hooked a ride, so that's like 12total and we still have a little bit to go, plus many have hooked more than one, so I'm positive there will be more. As for how hard it is? Not really sure, essentially you really just have to royally screw one thing up and get a U, and there's your hook. I agree with you about knowing how you're doing. I read a post about Corpus guys' getting a brief on their NSS? Dude, no one here even know's what an NSS is! You'll notice in an earlier post I mentioned about the frigain rock star guys we have here, one of them I was talking about pulls 1.30-1.40 by the end of every block, and NAV was even higher since we pretty much kick NAV in 3 days, and if you're smart and fly with a cool IP, you're golden. As for how hard is it to hook rides. Dude, the AF claims this place is the roughest when it comes to UPT bases, I personally haven't seen it, but who knows? Either way, good luck, wish I knew more, the AF world sucks sometimes.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
FLY_USMC said:
I read a post about Corpus guys' getting a brief on their NSS?

Whether or not we got a brief on it (if we did it wasnt anything all that specific), most of us had no idea how everything factored into the NSS... every couple of days there would be some new "sure" way to calculate it - each of them different and no way to check it once the squadron stopped giving out the projected NSS's. Even those who ended up with a close guestimate couldnt take into account the multiplier the squadron got assigned for that week to equalize the NSS with the other squadrons.

Nothing good can come worrying about it (if you knew what it was, would you fly any differently???). Its gonna be what its gonna be...

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
Good lord, jet guys are uptight sometimes. I just had one student talk to me about how much more serious and "real" that kind of aviation was, as if flying around with 10 other people and getting them safely across thousands of miles to drop buoys and torpedoes is always a walk in the park.

If you go jets, be cool. Don't respond to the question "how far along are you?" with "I'm not in props, I'm in Meridian flying a stage we call 'basic instruments', it's nothing like what you and your classmates know from Primary..." Dude was in my API class even. No **** you aren't in props, otherwise I wouldn't have asked you what the syllabus was like.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Just out of curiousity, how many graded events are there on a normal FAM flight in the Navy/Marine side of the house? I read some old posts about people talking about getting "aboves" which I assume they mean above MIF, meaning an E if MIF is a G, etc, etc. We have 48 gradeable items on each CONTACT/FAM ride, about the same the rest of the blocks, out of which you probably perform 42 or so. I'm assuming ya'll must have less, since someone saying they had 130 aboves was great, doesn't seem so great to me with the # of items we have?

pilotvmi

I wanted jets out of primary so I was instructed to put Jets in the first block along with J1 and J2 and indicate in that block where I wanted to go. Than I just put my other two choices after that. Just ask whoever works in your admin office, thats what they're there for. As far as grades go, dont compare yourself to guys in other squadrons. I was in VT-2 and I remember that the VT-6 guys always had way more aboves than us 2 guys...except in the sims of course. It was in your face obvious that the way these squadrons graded their studs was very differently. I think the multiplier does a good job at leveling the playing field. Advanced is great, you either get 1 or maybe 2(rarely)net aboves, average, or 1,2,or more(rare)net belows. But at this point most studs just want to get their wings. We all still bust our asses but the stress of selection day is pretty much absent from most of us.

jg5343

pilot
Ok, I got my NSS today. So here it comes......

What are my chances with a 52?

I don't know anyone who's gotten jets with that, but any word on the E-2/C-2 avg NSS?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jg5343 said:
Ok, I got my NSS today. So here it comes......

What are my chances with a 52?

I don't know anyone who's gotten jets with that, but any word on the E-2/C-2 avg NSS?

Good job.

Can't say what the current effective minimum NSS is. When I selected like 1.5 years ago, it was about a 60... it may very well have changed, lots of new Navy types here, so it's possible.

jg5343

pilot
Well, minimum jet/boat grades is a 50 so I do qualify if that is what you mean.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jg5343 said:
Well, minimum jet/boat grades is a 50 so I do qualify if that is what you mean.

Right, you qualify, what I'm saying is while 50 is the standard, that can raise and lower on needs of the Navy. When I selected, it was a minimum of 60, even if 50+ was "jet grades". Since there seem to be more and more Navy types showing up to Meridian, hopefully your 52 will cut it. Fingers crossed for yah bud.

diverkr

pilot
Even though you only need a 50 NSS to get jets in the Navy, I would say you need at least a 60 to be competitive. Although I have known guys to select jets with less than a 60, and guys with higher than a 60 not get jets. It all comes down to the week you select and who you are competing with from other squadrons.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Couple weeks ago there was a guy from Vance who got jets with a 52... a week or so before that a guy with a 60 got P3s. I think the last 2 e2c2 guys I know of had like high 60s/low 70s and other mid 50s.

You've got what you got. Youre going to get what youre going to get... Put what you want down, and whatever is going to happen is going to happen. No since worrying about it (too much...). Nothing you can really do about it.

beau

have a friend here in Meridian who selected a couple of months after me in Corpus and got Jets (navy) with a 52....but that was not the norm back then....two weeks after I selected my roomate in Corpus missed jets with a 58 (got E-2/C-2's)...a week after that my other roomate with a 57 got jets ......Timing timing timing....thats all i can say...bust your ass to put your self in a position to get what you want...then pray...and pray somemore....luck doesent hurt either.