• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lateral Transfer, Undesignated Ensign, USN

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The frustrating thing is that, at the time, the main reason what I joined for has ended up being not what I thought.

IFS/API/Flight school is not the end-all, be-all of what you were trying to attain. It's all steps on the path. Giving up a shot at Naval Aviation based on a few rides in a fucking Cessna is ridiculous.

or if I might be making a mistake.

You have a slot locked down in the USN. You have NO legitimate idea if this USCG plan is going to work.

But you've appeared to have made up your mind and dropped your pack. There's no shortage of guys waiting to take your opportunity and run with it. And yes, I am an asshole.

navy09

None
Insomneo, sounds like you're in a tough spot man- I don't envy you. Out of curiosity though, why are you suddenly looking at the CG when there is such a breadth of communities and jobs available in the Navy?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If you want some motivation to NOT DOR, might I suggest the fact that anyone who DORs/attrites/NPQs is being shown the door? Not saying it's happening to EVERYONE but the latest gouge I've heard is EVERYONE who is O-1 undesignated who doesn't make it through their initial designator training is sent home with a "thanks for trying". Perhaps give it a go until primary to see if you still feel the same?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the point we've been trying to make is, you haven't really seen Naval Air yet. So how can you really know how you'll feel about it?

Tough it out through Primary, dude. By P-grad, you'll have enough hours to know whether this is a suitable business for you or not.

It's six (-ish) months of your life. Toughing it out 'til then won't make any difference if you decide to punch - you can just as easily apply for a cross-commission now as six months from now - but it'll make all the difference in your world outlook. If it turns out you enjoy this flying thing after all, then you'll be very grateful you stayed with it. If you don't, then you can live with yourself, knowing you gave it a fair shot.

I have been where you're at, and I made a shitty decision. I lucked out and got back into the Brownshoe side after spending a couple of years in SWO purgatory. I like being a FO and I've enjoyed flying in the back of the Hummer, but I could have had one anchor and been a helo pilot - my lifelong dream - if I'd toughed it out.

Trust me on this. You don't want to punch and wonder.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Dude, I STILL question myself...it is part of the job. I REGULARLY scare the shit outta myself [and sometimes those around me(ask the Webmaster)] and have gone home with the wobbly hands/legs...and you can see what is under my name.

This job is stressful, but doing any other job in the Navy will be no less stressful...well maybe being a dirty chop, but other than that...those SWO guys still bust their ass and sweat over running a big ass hunk of steel through a narrow channel while having their lunch eaten by the ass-hat next to them. The question you may need to ask is not whether flying is for you but if the Navy is for you...

IFS is not, I repeat NOT a representation of Naval Aviation...it is nothing close. Primary gives you an idea; Advanced is pretty close; and the RAG damn near gets it right...but for fuck's sake, don't judge your desire for Aviation based on IFS.

And screw the taxpayers dollar...we have more invested in Plasma TV's at VAFB than you will waste going through IFS and Primary...at least get a good way into Primary before you DOR....

Pickle

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Plus the fact that if you wait it out, maybe in 6 months, you won't have to go civilian and they'll let you xsfer. But right now... it doesn't look good for xsfers.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
As a non-aviator, I'll go ahead throw this one out there:

Suck it up buttercup!

At least give it an honest shot and tough it out like OttoWrote8 and others have recommended.

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
Wow, thanks for the replies everyone. It's difficult to describe how I feel about this, but I'll do my best.

Primarily, I think I have already made up my mind on this. I have been thinking about it for awhile now. Maybe I've changed since I joined back in October, but thinking back, since the beginning of OCS I haven't quite had the same outlook on flying as I did a year ago.

Okay...to summarize, you are looking for advice vis a vis transferring from the Navy to the CG. You are not digging IFS or the thought of flying...copy...but what do you want to do? What is going to float your boat?

If you cannot articulate your desires to yourself (and by extension to the AW audience at large) it is rather difficult to provide much in the way of worthwhile feedback.

You also seem to be talking around the problem with aviation/IFS...in simple english, what's up?

A sudden tack from Naval aviation to the USCG is a bit extreme...as mentioned above there are many other rewarding careers in the Navy, too, that might be less problematic to slot for than a move to an entirely different organization.

I've just gone through the lateral transfer process within the Navy...granted after 14 years of flying...but I've been through the process. PM me is would like to talk off-line.

This is a huge decision you are weighing...take some time to think it through...all the way through.

FWIW...I hated flight school with a passion...but I loved the EP-3 and being a fleet JO flying real world missions (fighter guys can start giggling if they so choose)...

End soapbox standing.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
Plus the fact that if you wait it out, maybe in 6 months, you won't have to go civilian and they'll let you xsfer. But right now... it doesn't look good for xsfers.

Regardless of whether or not flying is for you, this might be worth weighing in your decision. I was an attrite from jet advanced, but luckily in my time in the pipeline, the Navy had gone full circle from kicking everyone out to desperately trying to retain people. So, I got to redesignate to something which, while not my dream job, still let me get to the fleet and do some interesting things.
Right now, the Navy is "right-sizing" again, so it will be harder to lat-transfer or redesignate, whether or not you want to.

Casual

Jammin'
None
If you want some motivation to NOT DOR, might I suggest the fact that anyone who DORs/attrites/NPQs is being shown the door? Not saying it's happening to EVERYONE but the latest gouge I've heard is EVERYONE who is O-1 undesignated who doesn't make it through their initial designator training is sent home with a "thanks for trying". Perhaps give it a go until primary to see if you still feel the same?

Back when I was in VT-10 (one of the NFO Primary squadrons), our CO basically told all the students that anyone from OCS who DORs will be shown the door. I believe any available re-designation slots would be given to people who were NPQd or could not continue the program for some reason out of their control. This was probably 6 months ago or so. The understanding was that the OCS guys didn't owe the Navy any money, so the Navy had no qualms just cutting instead of re-designating them.

Naval aviation is always really competitive, but in this job market, they're certainly not hurting for applicants. I would count on being kicked to the curb if you DOR.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Hating Naval Aviation because of IFS is like hating the Navy because of OCS (or plebe year at the Academy). You're not even flying with military instructors. Focus on the task at hand but keep your eyes on the prize.