• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lateral Transfer, Undesignated Ensign, USN

Insomneo

So recently, over the past 3 weeks, I have discovered that flying is not for me. I am currently an Ensign in the USN, with the designator of NFO. IFS has shown me that flying is not for me, so I am strongly considering DOR'ing out of the program. For the record it has nothing to do with the work load, if you could call 3-4 hours of studying a day that, or a fear of flight.

Doing this opens up many options, but one which was mentioned to me caught my interest. I am interested in a lateral transfer to the USCG, but have a few questions. The first is if I will have to go through OCS again, or any other type of "basic" training. The second is what designators are there for officer's in the USCG, and what are they like?

Any constructive input is greatly appreciated, as this is a very big decision I am on the verge of making.

Brunes

pilot
I can't help you for if you can/how to lateral. I'm not sure what kind of obligation you have based on your current training.

As far as "designators" the in CG- They kinda don't exist like the Navy. There is a lot of options open and the option to retrain/move around is a bit easier.

Should your lateral request go thru- you could become a ship driver (Deck Watch officer) you could learn about afloat engineering (Damage Control Assistant), traveling law enforcement, shore based search and rescue and law enforcement operations, shore based environmental protection/safety/security inspections, shore based engineering, shore based support/admin, training/teaching and human performance.

I think I hit a lot of them- There are more I'm sure.

Do you have something that trips your trigger- something you might want to get into??

Insomneo

I am not IFS complete. As soon as that plane takes off, I want to land. I was one of those kids who had dreams of flying from diapers. I thought that I would feel at home, and comfortable flying. However, prior to this I never flew besides in an airliner. It's not the insane amount of turbulence you get in those Cessnas, nor is it the many things going on during flight, it just does not feel right.

I have been thinking about this for awhile, which has definitely affected my flying. I've decided it would be best to let it go now, rather than get to primary still feel the same way. I would just be wasting tax dollars, and would be occupying a spot that someone could have that would enjoy it.

Insomneo

Well my only training thus far is Navy OCS. The option of a lateral transfer was brought up by my Lt.

All of those designators sound very interesting particularly Ship Driver, SAR, Law enforcement, and environmental protection.

Also Brunes, from your knowledge, what is the status of JO's in the Coast Guard, numbers and needs wise. I know the Navy is in a flux (?) right now, so this option of a transfer appears to be very realistic.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Without getting too touchy-feely, what you're feeling now is not at all uncommon. Not everybody takes to flying immediately, and for plenty of folks (yours truly included), it took a while before taking the controls didn't scare the crap out of them.

My advice is, get through IFS, API and Primary. If you get through Primary and still feel it's not for you, then move on. It won't be so much time that it'll cost you other options, and you can say to yourself honestly that you gave it your best shot. Believe me, and I speak from experience - you really don't want to be on the other side of the fence wondering.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Yeah, I would at least say try to hold on until Primary. Don't let a Cessna rub you the wrong way. I've been in a T-34 before at CORTRAMID and a prowler for my first class cruise, and having to chug along in a Cessna 172 makes aviation seem rather boring. If you have no problems sitting in an airliner, there are larger aircraft down the road in the Navy that might spark your interest.

STLEngineer

pilot
Without getting too touchy-feely, what you're feeling now is not at all uncommon. Not everybody takes to flying immediately, and for plenty of folks (yours truly included), it took a while before taking the controls didn't scare the crap out of them.

No kidding!

My first few flights in the 172 were completely different from what I imagined flying would be like.

About 5 minutes into my first real flight:
Instructor: "Let's practice stalls."
Me: "Huh? You want to do what?!?!?"
Instructor: "Stalls."
Me: "Can't I just fly around in circles for a little bit?"
Instructor: "No."

I was uncomfortable in the 172 until about the last two flights in IFS. Give it some time.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
tough it out some dood. I didn't like IFS at first, but I damn sure didn't want to be told to leave the navy.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I am not IFS complete. As soon as that plane takes off, I want to land. I was one of those kids who had dreams of flying from diapers. I thought that I would feel at home, and comfortable flying. However, prior to this I never flew besides in an airliner. It's not the insane amount of turbulence you get in those Cessnas, nor is it the many things going on during flight, it just does not feel right.

I have been thinking about this for awhile, which has definitely affected my flying. I've decided it would be best to let it go now, rather than get to primary still feel the same way. I would just be wasting tax dollars, and would be occupying a spot that someone could have that would enjoy it.

Feel it out dude, that is all I can say. I promise you will change your mind if you stick with it, no question about it....at least if the interest has been there before

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Definitely give it till primary bud. I wasn't sure if it was right for me until my IFS solo, but being in primary has definitely gotten rid of my doubts. I have plenty of friends who had doubts all the way till the end of primary, but are glad they stuck around, because they realized it was right for them. Besides, the T-6 is a sweet plane :D.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
So recently, over the past 3 weeks, I have discovered that flying is not for me. I am currently an Ensign in the USN, with the designator of NFO. IFS has shown me that flying is not for me, so I am strongly considering DOR'ing out of the program. For the record it has nothing to do with the work load, if you could call 3-4 hours of studying a day that, or a fear of flight.

Doing this opens up many options, but one which was mentioned to me caught my interest. I am interested in a lateral transfer to the USCG, but have a few questions. The first is if I will have to go through OCS again, or any other type of "basic" training. The second is what designators are there for officer's in the USCG, and what are they like?

Any constructive input is greatly appreciated, as this is a very big decision I am on the verge of making.

This is your one shot. Once you quit there is no coming back. Three weeks is not enough time to really know. There were plenty of times I thought it wasn't for me but I listened to others and stuck it out. I look back now and wondered what I was thinking.

I have been around the training command as an IP for a long while now (see profile). You would be surprised at the number of dudes with similar feelings. I can all but promise you that one day you will not dread going to work to fly and the prize at the end (wings) will drive you. That day happens at different times for everyone....some at IFS, primary, advanced, etc. When that day happens we might as well hand you your wings because nothing will stop you from achieving your goal. Trust me, I see it happen every week. The light comes on and I can literally see the confidence and motivation change in a student. Hang in there and talk about this with friends. They aren't cool and confident with what they are doing either.

Good luck and keep us in the loop.

navy_wings.jpg
<--- WORTH IT!!!

Brunes

pilot
I'll echo what has been said already. I'm only in Primary right now...and IFS was boring...API was kinda boring...and Primary is a challenge...It's worth seeing some REAL Navy aviation before you think about DOR...FB said it- This is your ONLY shot...Give up now and there is NO coming coming back.

As far as JO needs in the Coast Guard. Shore side there are openings and there is "fudge" room- they make jobs sometimes and move people around as needed. Ships may have some room depending on when your transfer goes thru. In general-ship billets get filled first... then shore... then special assignments and extra billets.

Think about it...Only you can decide what is right for your situation- Good luck!!

torpedo0126

I am not IFS complete. As soon as that plane takes off, I want to land. I was one of those kids who had dreams of flying from diapers. I thought that I would feel at home, and comfortable flying.

Well one thing I noticed from your original post that no one has addressed really is that your an NFO. You might not feel comfortable at the controls, but after IFS, you will have a competent, well-trained IP and eventually pilot at the controls. Obviously you will be part of the team, but you will be participating more in the mission of the aircraft and not so much worried about mainupulating flight controls.

My first 15 or so flights in IFS (minus the solos) I did not particularly enjoy because I felt queasy. I felt a LOT better the last few flights and also felt much more comfortable flying. Now I can't wait to get back into the cockpit (not looking forward to overcoming the queasiness again!).

Lastly, today we had gear issue. Now while this may sound cheesy, and I will probably draw some crap for this, but when we were putting on the suits and trying everything on...I kept thinking "wow, this is actually happening." I wasn't even flying and I felt like I had the best job in the world.

At the same time I don't know much, but I can already tell you everyone has there problems during training. For some it might be academics, others it might be a confidence thing.

Insomneo

Wow, thanks for the replies everyone. It's difficult to describe how I feel about this, but I'll do my best.

Primarily, I think I have already made up my mind on this. I have been thinking about it for awhile now. Maybe I've changed since I joined back in October, but thinking back, since the beginning of OCS I haven't quite had the same outlook on flying as I did a year ago. While at OCS I didn't think about my designator at all, my primary drive was that I was doing something worthwhile, important (even if it was one big game.) When I arrived at Pensacola, I felt the same way, maybe the whole officer first thing that was stressed there actually got to me. I thought that "Ok, been out of it for awhile, getting up in that plane at IFS will respark my drive." But in reality, it didn't, and flying was nothing what I thought.

The frustrating thing is that, at the time, the main reason what I joined for has ended up being not what I thought. However, I have also realized what drove me at OCS is still attainable outside of aviation, which is why I will do what I can to stay in the military. I think that the USCG is the best option for that from what I have heard from various people.

Again, I appreciate everyones comments. I have read them over more than once too see if anything clicks, or if I might be making a mistake. Theres still a lot of time to think, and I will use it, but right now I am leaning towards redesignation.

Along with what Uncle Fester said, I'm not trying to make this sappy at all, just trying to give a broader perspective of what I think on the situation.

Now the question is... do I really have the balls to do this? DOR was such a forbidden term in my mind for so long.