• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Last ride for the Blues’ legacy Bugs

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, when the reserve S-3 and F-14 squadrons went away, but that’s not this. I’m sure that when VAQ-209 transitioned they didn’t simply clean house; same thing at the VAQ-129 SAU. But that’s not what we’re talking about. People can still always make the switch as long as the gaining squadron wants them.

With the move across country, they pretty much did. The number of flying billets in the SELRES for FO's is...minuscule compared to pilots. Two VP squadrons, 209 and the SAU's is pretty much it I think.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Plenty of opportunities for those 13X5s to have tried to stay in the cockpit.
I know when I got off ACDU I fielded several calls/emails from CNAFR recruiters asking me to come fly. Also some more personal recruitment from people I worked with professionally. And I wasn't a particularly great pilot or officer and yet if I had wanted to I could have continued to fly grey airplanes if I had been willing to put up with the schedule demands. A guy I was on the boat with and 2xFOSd with basically cold called a VR and said, "hey, need a guy who likes to fly?" He SELTARd with them for awhile and is now a VR XO.

Last edited:

SlickAg

pilot
With the move across country, they pretty much did. The number of flying billets in the SELRES for FO's is...minuscule compared to pilots. Two VP squadrons, 209 and the SAU's is pretty much it I think.
So they involuntarily sep'd dudes...or guys who wanted to make the transition were able to and through the homeport change? Because there's a difference.

As to your second point, I don't dispute that. However, the original point was more of a response to these quotes:
If they hate it that much, our adversary Karens are always free to come see what the real Reserves looks like . . . NOSC shenanigans and stupidity included.
I’m sure it could, and I know DoD is pushing to improve that capability. But making memes as a flying reservist on how you missed out on having a cool new ride still has an element of “flexing on the poors” when plenty of 13X5s are consigned to TACRON, CAOCs, and staff duty in perpetuity.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So they involuntarily sep'd dudes...or guys who wanted to make the transition were able to and through the homeport change? Because there's a difference.

Neither, most that were willing to make the transition were told no thanks due to their not being able to fly long enough to make it worth it to send them through the RAG, at least according to the powers that be, while the others couldn't make the demands of a SELRES flying gig match up with their real jobs on the other end of the country. I think at one point they had 3 stay at home mom's as their only non-front office SELRES FO's.

I know several 209 alumni and several are in my unit, the transition was handled a bit poorly from a SELRES standpoint.

As to your second point, I don't dispute that. However, the original point was more of a response to these quotes:

Roger.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I know when I got off ACDU I fielded several calls/emails from CNAFR recruiters asking me to come fly. Also some more personal recruitment from people I worked with professionally. And I wasn't a particularly great pilot or officer and yet if I had wanted to I could have continued to fly grey airplanes if I had been willing to put up with the schedule demands. A guy I was on the boat with and 2xFOSd with basically cold called a VR and said, "hey, need a guy who likes to fly?" He SELTARd with them for awhile and is now a VR XO.

Peaks and valleys, feast or famine. With everyone bailing, flying SELRES gigs were few and far between and very competitive when I made the jump. Timing, as in most things, is everything.