• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olpa9901

Been there, (PNS) Done that.
i've got the G4 for at home...but ug...i have the Thinkpad for work....work just isn't as fun when i have to windoze it up.... I like to be able to take my "digital life" with me.

schmuckatelli

I just bring my Mac to work and use the stupid NMCI piece of crap for email and FOUO things. I am much more productive and don't have to worry about crashes, the server not being online, random blue screens of death, the printer not working for unknown reasons, etc.

psrogers

Intel Officer
So if we have a laptop and we bring it on deployment, do we have access in our rooms to the internet or where?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you're talking about a ship, it really depends. For small boys, the big problem we ran into was the IT21 standard, which basically tries to keep all the computers standard. As a result, they don't let you plug into their LAN w/ an outside computer (Squadron or otherwise). I don't know about the carrier.

jaerose

We used iBooks in our Physics labs at school and not a lab went by without them not working properly and freezing up. Really turned me off of macs.

JR

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
What is NMCI? Is that the intranet that they are planning. If it is, can anyone tell me how a single guy is supposed to pay his bills on deployment if he can't do it online? Just a thought.

--Goplay

olpa9901

Been there, (PNS) Done that.
rosie, i'm sure they wern't using OSX. Not a day goes by with me using osx where i don't realize how nice it is.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Goplay:

NMCI is a landbased WAN. It started in HI and Washington, and has spread like a virus to BUPERS, DC, and San Diego. The intent is that everyone gets a navy.mil email address, and they log into a networkcentric environment. So if you're stationed in CA, you can go to WA and log in and still get your email, files, etc. The problem is that they bought cheap computers (Dell Celerons), and the even the simple process of logging on is sooooo slow. There's a bunch of other features of the network, which means there's plenty of other pains in the ass.

A good friend of mine I went to HS and college w/ worked on NMCI when they were building it. Anytime I talk to him, I make sure to tell him my personal thoughts on his work.
icon_smile_wink.gif

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Don't forget the pain in the ass when calling tech support.... you used to have your own computer ppl in the command who could do anything for you, now they have been cut out of the loop.... you have to talk to someone back on the east coast... crazy...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And what is up w/ those printers???? Why could you possibly have reinstall the printers again, the day after you just reinstalled them? Grrrrrr...

Status
Not open for further replies.