• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paullatina

I have an extra computer I was keeping around for my wife to use while I'm deployed becuase I would obviously need our laptop. My question is, does the Navy give us laptops to use for day to day operations and also take on deployment?

Thanks in advance.

schmuckatelli

paullatina,

The short answer to your question is yes. They are not issued to you personally but the squadron will have computers for doing work. I would bring your own, though, if you want to use it for games, watching DVDs, etc.

DairyCreamer

Call me surprised that a Naval Officer would respond to a genuine question in this manner.

~Nate

Originally posted by Patmack18
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! This aint the Air Force! Oh man... I'm gonna be cryin' for a while after that one... sorry... had to laugh...

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Speaking of laptops...Can anyone reccomend one to me? I would only use it for word processing, internet, and email. I am looking to spend no more than around 1200 bucks...Let me know what you think.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Goplay:

If that's all you're looking to do, then the squadron laptop would probably be good enough. Then again, I don't know how easy it is to get a computer when the whole squadron deploys. For Dets, though, there's only a couple of officers, and usually 2 or 3 laptops (for us anyway), so there's plenty to go around.

Personally, I use mine for games and watching DVDs.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think it depends on what your job is. A couple of jobs I had in the squadron, a laptop came along with it, with the proliferation and roll out of NMCI, these were "deployable" dell laptops. Personally, I am glad I didn't have one of them, because I purchased my own laptop prior to my last deployment. On a P3 deployment, you would be crazy not to have one, since you have access to internet most of the time, and can use that in your room. Plus of course, the DVD and games aspect. On the ship, it still comes in handy for at least the DVD and games.

As for which one to get, that basically depends on what you are going to do with it. I own a Dell Inspiron 8200, and have been quite happy with it. Last deployment near the end, my motherboard died, and had a video card problem, Dell apologized for it, and complimentary upgraded me from a 8100 to an 8200, and upgraded the CPU, memory, harddrive and added a CDRW... for me, with something like a laptop, customer service support goes a long way. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one, just my thoughts.

schmuckatelli

I've got to agree with olpa9901. I brought my TiBook on last cruise and everyone in the squadron made comments about how cool it is and how they wanted one. When we got back the CO and the MO bought iMacs and the safety officer is always threatening to steal my TiBook.

unfUSN

I just got off my 1st sea deployment before I transfered into aviation. I had a computer in my office, but the helo-det guys on my boat never had a problem getting on a PC. They either used the Det PC in their office or grabbed a friends, or used the ship's PCs in the library.

LTJG Payne

apples are sweet but they suck for games-and that's only b/c they don't make many for Apple.
For everything else they pretty much humiliate their Pentium counterparts.
It's really sad when you realize how many laptop innovations have come and still come out from Apple, yet PC's are still #1.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Alright, there are Mac people out there! I'm very pleased w/ my new G4 I bought a few weeks ago. It's my "All things Media" computer. Of course, as it's said above, if I want to play games, I still go to my PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.