• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Killing with Keyboards/ Good OPSEC Brief

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Related to OPSEC, it’s amazing what kind of intelligence can be derived from open source information. I will not comment on the veracity of their claims, I’m posting this to show how little work is required by a keyboard warrior with access to flight aware to track you when you are squawking, and then tie it into current, slightly overdramatized, news.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/wo...ne-us-plane-p-8a-poseidon-north-carolina-news

Not what I call a valid source of news, but it is headed across FB today, where a shit ton of Millenials get their news...

Practice good OPSEC!!

Pickle

Pags

N/A
pilot
Related to OPSEC, it’s amazing what kind of intelligence can be derived from open source information. I will not comment on the veracity of their claims, I’m posting this to show how little work is required by a keyboard warrior with access to flight aware to track you when you are squawking, and then tie it into current, slightly overdramatized, news.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/wo...ne-us-plane-p-8a-poseidon-north-carolina-news

Not what I call a valid source of news, but it is headed across FB today, where a shit ton of Millenials get their news...

Practice good OPSEC!!

Pickle
Never underestimate the ability of a bunch of nerds to track and document every movement of a bird, train, airplane, satellite, etc.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Never underestimate the ability of a bunch of nerds to track and document every movement of a bird, train, airplane, satellite, etc.

The internet makes it easier but even before then planespotters kept a very close and detailed track of aircraft registration numbers/BUNO's, noted movement and discrepancies then spread the word.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Jesus, it’s a Russian AGI off our own coast. Same one that swings by oh, I dunno, every year. This is hardly an OPSEC emergency.

Reminds me of the ships company folks losing their mind over port call dates. Never mind the hundreds of folks at husbanding agencies, shipyard workers, etc, who know our exact availability.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Jesus, it’s a Russian AGI off our own coast. Same one that swings by oh, I dunno, every year. This is hardly an OPSEC emergency.

Reminds me of the ships company folks losing their mind over port call dates. Never mind the hundreds of folks at husbanding agencies, shipyard workers, etc, who know our exact availability.
I wasn’t stating that this exact issue was an OPSEC “emergency,” rather it was a reminder of how easy public source information can easily be processed into actionable intelligence.

Critical reading, it’s a thing.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I wasn’t stating that this exact issue was an OPSEC “emergency,” rather it was a reminder of how easy public source information can easily be processed into actionable intelligence.

Critical reading, it’s a thing.
It doesn't matter what you meant...he was going to say what he wanted to anyway.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
It doesn't matter what you meant...he was going to say what he wanted to anyway.

Uh yeah, it’s an Internet forum my dude. Where you write ur opinions n stuff.