• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

KillBOX!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Doesn't it guarantee the AF types jets?

No. They choose FAIPs from both the T-1 and T-38 sides of the house. It does guarantee your choice of platform in your respective area T-1 = heavies and T-38 = fighters.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
But wouldn't it set you up to be behind for your year group?

First, don't assume the AF manages career paths like the Navy. Second, getting selected as a FAIP is a positive. "They" trust your skills to go straight to instructing.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Does the Navy have FAIPs? Why would someone choose to do that?

We call them sergrads. You don't always "choose" these things, needs of the Navy and all that. It can be good though because you rack up a lot of PIC time and get your instructor ticket right away.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We call them surgrads. You don't always "choose" these things, needs of the Navy and all that. It can be good though because you rack up a lot of PIC time and get your instructor ticket right away.

From what I have seen though, the use of FAIP's is much more widespread in the USAF than SERGRAD's in the Navy.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
FAIPS aren't gauranteed their first choise...they get thrown into the mix with what is available for their peer group...
That's not how it worked in my class.

RetreadRand said:
Unfortunately the training squadrons are made up of about 40% FAIPS..
Which ones? Phase 2 or 3? In the Phase 2 squadrons it seemed closer to 20%, but that was also before 9/11.

RetreadRand said:
and sergrads are not the same as FAIPS
How are they different?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
I am talking about after they do their instructor tour.
Those I have talked to said they get thrown into the mix of their peer group except they go to whatever plane as an AC.

My close friend in flight school was a T-37 and then T-6 FAIP, has told me different, but that was 5 or more years ago. He also didn't show up as an AC, he had to upgrade in the C-5 like everyone else.

Now, I will totally admit many of them are cocky asses, but my buddy doesn't fit that mold so much, he's a heavy guy, so that is a more relaxed community.

RetreadRand said:
Did I really spell choice with an S?
Yes

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
The only sergrads I've known were in the strike pipeline. Anyone know if other pipelines use them as well?

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
We taxied by as a two ship today and had a couple guys waiting to get gas in their T-1's wave at us? I thought, wow that's kind of gay...and then it came to me....it was a come on....and I realized how could they have known I was Mclovin sexy under all my gear?

What a bunch of idiots. :rolleyes: Maybe he should've just flipped you off instead.

Seriously, what's the big deal about one aviator waving to another? Or are you guys too cool for school or something?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
We taxied by as a two ship today and had a couple guys waiting to get gas in their T-1's wave at us? I thought, wow that's kind of gay...and then it came to me....it was a come on....and I realized how could they have known I was Mclovin sexy under all my gear?

I routinely wave to other military aircraft that taxi by both at home field and on the road as a matter of respect comraderie etc, maybe when you get your wings you will be confident enough to do the same.

If it was a come on maybe it was becasue they thought you spoke Air Force, a flight of two is a section in Naval Aviation a "two ship" in Air Force speak.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
The only sergrads I've known were in the strike pipeline. Anyone know if other pipelines use them as well?

There were lots of T-34 sergrads a few years back that came from the Harrier pipeline due to the issues that community faced. We have a T-44 sergrad in the E-6 community who decided to forego his shore tour and roll right into a loop job. He was on the last DH list that I saw.
On the Navy side, it is based more on manning. In the AF, it is just a policy that they have to fill their instructor slots, since they do not do the Navy sea/shore rotation.
When I training with the AF, their FAIPs did not get their first choice. It was based on the needs of the AF and what pipeline they trained in originally. When I was at Tinker, I saw one of the cooler FAIPs who was now flying AWACS (def not a first choice for AF guys). I saw another FAIP, who was not only a horrible pilot, but a chode to boot, flying RC-135s up at Offutt (usually the worst thing out there for AF guys). Karma is a bitch in his case.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
What a bunch of idiots. I would've flipped you off.

Seriously, what's the big deal about one aviator waving to another? Or are you guys too cool for school or something?

Then you would have been a tool.

I usually did it -- waved -- because we're "Brothers" .... military or airline .... does that confuse you???

Status
Not open for further replies.