• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Key Bridge - Baltimore

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The Golden Gate Bridge took only 5 years. The Brooklyn Bridge took 14, but humans had a fraction of the lifting power it has now

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Interesting fact about the increase in size of container ships over the last 50 years. I assume there are mitigation measures that can be put into place with a new bridge to prevent a catastrophic failure, compared to the old bridge that was completed in the 70's. (I know nothing of bridges, except that I want the Kerch bridge dropped. 😆)

hscs

pilot
Not just container ships, but also the size of the petroleum carriers has increased. They have been dredging quite a bit in the Chesapeake channels to support. One thing not mentioned is that these ultra-larges own exclusive rights to the channel making scheduling interesting. You have to be on time - much like not being late for your ramp time.

GroundPounder

Interesting fact about the increase in size of container ships over the last 50 years. I assume there are mitigation measures that can be put into place with a new bridge to prevent a catastrophic failure, compared to the old bridge that was completed in the 70's. (I know nothing of bridges, except that I want the Kerch bridge dropped. 😆)

I'm certainly not a bridgeoligst, but I think theain issue was the lack of the islands/buffers that are now built around the bridge supports. I don't think there is any bridge that could take a hit there and not be catastrophicly damaged.

I'm guessing that ultimately, this incident had a whole series of events that went wrong, at the worst possible time and place.

I wonder if a tug boat had been right there, if that would have been able to prevent the collision.

CAMike

None
Contributor
Let’s all hope that Synergy Marine Group has a better SSDG and Rudder 3M program on their LNG and LPG fleet of ships. Those types of ships can strike back once physically abused. The term thermobaric comes to mind.

Duc'-guy25

pilot

This is a bad graph as hscs says as well. Tankers have been massive since the 70’s, and also completely different in their tonnage.

I remember talking to a QM type chief like a decade ago while on an ADT as a reservist doing chart corrections for the boat as it was getting ready to deploy. One of the notes on a chart mention “vessels with a drafts greater than 50 feet…” He was shocked when I told him much bigger tankers were than carriers, as he was under the impression carriers where the largest vessels afloat.

Long story, but big ships have been around for half a century.

Also, I feel old because that was almost a decade ago, but I’m still in the JOPA so suck it hinges.
Not just container ships, but also the size of the petroleum carriers has increased. They have been dredging quite a bit in the Chesapeake channels to support. One thing not mentioned is that these ultra-larges own exclusive rights to the channel making scheduling interesting. You have to be on time - much like not being late for your ramp time.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
This is a bad graph as hscs says as well. Tankers have been massive since the 70’s, and also completely different in their tonnage.
It seems like the authors of that graph know their stuff. Scroll to pt 3 of the attached link where they write of container ship capacities over the years.

Maybe the original poster and myself are misinterpreting something from it?

Duc'-guy25

pilot
It seems like the authors of that graph know their stuff. Scroll to pt 3 of the attached link where they write of container ship capacities over the years.

Maybe the original poster and myself are misinterpreting something from it?

They do, but I’m talking about tonnage, they’re talking about TEUs. Containers were a relatively new thing in the 70s, so they were generally not massive ships due to ports still developing the infrastructure to handle them. That doesn’t mean massive ships weren’t being built at the time.

Point being ships of comparable tonnage have been around for awhile. 500,000 ton ships were designed and built in the 70s; Dali is something like a 116,000 DWT and 150,000ish in displacement. In the world of cargo ships, it’s not really an outlier. Few bridges actually stand a chance against ships, they’re just so much momentum. This is the norm world wide.

Shiphandling when conning this size of vessel involves a lot of anticipation. Unlike nearly every navy ship, they don’t have high HP to tonnage ratios, and you can’t correct things at the last second like you can with a destroyer or a carrier.

I do have a lot of a lot of questions concerning the plant, the EDG, steering pumps, and who/when the decision was made to drop an anchor. I’m sure the NTSB will cover the bases on these though.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
They do, but I’m talking about tonnage, they’re talking about TEUs. Containers were a relatively new thing in the 70s, so they were generally not massive ships due to ports still developing the infrastructure to handle them. That doesn’t mean massive ships weren’t being built at the time.
Ah, makes sense. Thanks for the context.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
I'm certainly not a bridgeoligst, but I think theain issue was the lack of the islands/buffers that are now built around the bridge supports. I don't think there is any bridge that could take a hit there and not be catastrophicly damaged.

I'm guessing that ultimately, this incident had a whole series of events that went wrong, at the worst possible time and place.

I wonder if a tug boat had been right there, if that would have been able to prevent the collision.
I work by the water front in Boston, All the tankers and vessels I see in my end of the harbor have tugs with them.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I work by the water front in Boston, All the tankers and vessels I see in my end of the harbor have tugs with them.
Boston is a lot more narrow than Baltimore, and the tugs generally cast off at Castle Island/Fort Independence.

Last edited:

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
True, I'm up by the bridge so all I see is mostly tankers and the LNG ships. Always seemed like a common sense thing for those.
I should have specified outbound ships. I imagine they get picked up by tugs at the same point. That LNG terminal is the scariest thing in Boston. If it goes up the damage would be immense.