• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Key Bridge - Baltimore

robav8r

None
Contributor
All good points. When I lived in Virginia and drove north I typically the tunnel, but this was a good alternative. As for the port, once they finish the initial investigation, removing the debris shouldn’t take that long (unless the bureaucracy gets to work).
Which it will, and will cost infinitely more, and take infinitely longer than necessary . . .

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Is there any military boxed in by this right now? MSC? Port visits?
Good point. On most of my drives there was at leases one MSC ship (occasionally two) parked at Covington (where the cruise ships go).

robav8r

None
Contributor
Is there any military boxed in by this right now? MSC? Port visits?
Don't know. Reading various reports and articles about the automotive industry impacts (car/trucks and parts and accessories). When I was at NDU, we did a Transportation Industry study of the Port of Baltimore and I was amazed at the sheer number and type of "things" that get shipped from there overseas.

CAMike

None
Contributor
I hope the public will soon be able to see the message traffic/Casreps between the ship and their corporate office in the days and weeks leading up to this incident. Should be very revealing.

fyi gents less than 2 weeks ago my body failed to generate any electrical impulses for 8 minutes so I might be more screwed up than I was prior to this life ending event. Just delete any inappropriate posts that you see fit. I'm trying hard to re-train my thought processing after my factory reset. The good news is that they took me to church and I didn’t start hitting on the females. The bad news is that I have one more heart attack in my future and they aren’t medically able to address/correct. Glad to be here. Viva JOPA!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I hope the public will soon be able to see the message traffic/Casreps between the ship and their corporate office in the days and weeks leading up to this incident. Should be very revealing.

fyi gents less than 2 weeks ago my body failed to generate any electrical impulses for 8 minutes so I might be more screwed up than I was prior to this life ending event. Just delete any inappropriate posts that you see fit. I'm trying hard to re-train my thought processing after my factory reset. The good news is that they took me to church and I didn’t start hitting on the females. The bad news is that I have one more heart attack in my future and they aren’t medically able to address/correct. Glad to be here. Viva JOPA!
Goodness Mike, I hope you are feeling better! Take care and we’ll look out for your more “disturbed” posts.

VMO4

Not that I am what I would call a professional mariner, but I do hold a 100 ton master and drive a 51 foot converted Willard navy launch for one of day retirement jobs. Boats 50 foot or 500 respond the same way to the laws of physics. As he approached the bridge, he losses power, single screw vessels have almost no rudder authority unless you are blowing thrust pass the prop. So even though he is still making about 8 knots, he has effectively no rudder. He gets power back, and goes full astern. When you go full astern in a single screw vessel, the first motion is the stern will move to port, pushing the bow to starboard. He drops the port anchor to try and hold the bow straight in the direction of the transfer, ( vessel word for continued direction of the vessel after thrust removed). He losses power again, although I don’t think it made any difference at that point, at nearly 100K ton, too much mass.

Back years ago, a freighter lost steering , but not power , right after passing under the Greater Mississippi River bridge in NOLA, Still having thrust the pilot took over and went full power to push the bow into the embankment, and probably saved countless lives not letting the ship wonder downstream and hit the Cassio at the end of Canal street.

tarjas

Alooo-haaa
None
Back years ago, a freighter lost steering , but not power , right after passing under the Greater Mississippi River bridge in NOLA, Still having thrust the pilot took over and went full power to push the bow into the embankment, and probably saved countless lives not letting the ship wonder downstream and hit the Cassio at the end of Canal street.
As I recall the pivot point moves fully aft in high power reverse, little you can do besides drop the anchor. Seems basic ORM would require a tug ivo the bridge. The severity axis is easy (and realized) but the proba axis is higher than most realize. Plenty of examples amd videos of cargo ships losing power and hitting all manner of things We reviewed several at nav school in Newport as I recall.
During the New Orleans incident I drove over the Crescent City Connector a few minutes after on the way downtown after an air show at Belle Chase. We could clearly see where the ship came very close to hitting the riverboat Casio parked near Spanish Plaza. Once downtown we attempted to get close enough to see what was happening but were unable by the time we got there.

Last edited:

VMO4

As I recall the pivot point moves fully aft in high power reverse, little you can do besides drop the anchor. Seems basic ORM would require a tug ivo the bridge. The severity axis is easy (and realized) but the likelihood axis is higher than most realize. Plenty of examples amd videos of cargo ships losing power and hitting all manner of things We reviewed several at nav school in Newport as I recall.

I drove over the Crescent City Connector towards downtown a few minutes after the incident on the way downtown after an air show at Belle Chase. We could clearly see where the ship came very close to hitting the riverboat Casio parked near Spanish Plaza. Once downtown we attempted to get close enough to see what was happening but were unable by the time we got there.
Initially, the pivot point will be completely aft at full astern, it will gradually move forward as the boat moves. My vessel will just rotate around the stern initially, (assuming you have no forward motion) then the stern port movement will slow, then stop, then , assuming you have full starboard rudder in, it will eventually start answering the rudder. If you are moving forward, even though the pivot point is full astern initially, the forward motion will cause a yaw to port as the vessel continues to move forward.

tarjas

Alooo-haaa
None
Initially, the pivot point will be completely aft at full astern, it will gradually move forward as the boat moves. My vessel will just rotate around the stern initially, (assuming you have no forward motion) then the stern port movement will slow, then stop, then , assuming you have full starboard rudder in, it will eventually start answering the rudder. If you are moving forward, even though the pivot point is full astern initially, the forward motion will cause a yaw to port as the vessel continues to move forward.
Ship handling was about the only interesting thing about working on the bridge of a CVN. My Captain was a master ship handler so we all learned a lot. Thx Buzz. Since the CVN screws rotate in both directions (outboard both sides) we remembered with a backing bell the “deeper blade” would pull the stern in the direction of movement via rotational wash interacting with the hull. The bow was on its OFP (tugs). Happy to never use this knowledge outside of random internet posts but it was fun to learn. The NAVDORM and the rest, not so much.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Ship handling was about the only interesting thing about working on the bridge of a CVN. My Captain was a master ship handler so we all learned a lot. Thx Buzz. Since the CVN screws rotate in both directions (outboard both sides) we remembered with a backing bell the “deeper blade” would pull the stern in the direction of movement via rotational wash interacting with the hull. The bow was on its OFP (tugs). Happy to never use this knowledge outside of random internet posts but it was fun to learn. The NAVDORM and the rest, not so much.
Don't make me post my recently made black-shoe wings.