• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Kenzie's Korner (you may fire when ready)

coledcuts

You might end up having to take a slew of technical classes during your time in NROTC in spite of your Performing Arts or Ceramics major. Many of my buddies who went through spent long hours in the study hall pissing about calc II and "business physics" or something like that. From what I remember they were a req. prescribed by the battalion CO and henceforth may vary by university.

I on the other hand, went the PLC route. I majored in Geography; it was f-ing easy. I lost no sleep over it and still learned skills relevant to my career path. Additionally, I was able to secure an SNA contract prior to finalizing any PLC entry paperwork. I didn't have to put up with any of the midshipman/ROTC/microscale-bearaucracy BS either. I hung out at the NROTC building, ate their food, slept on their couches, shot pool with the MECEP prior enlisted and PT'd with those guys.

PLC was a great option for the reasons above. It required a few more weeks at OCS, but so-what. That place is a good time. After my first session there I was also eligible to receive compensation for tuition and living expenses. It was more than adequate.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Obligatory " yutyut Leader of Marines first, pilot is secondary. Yut yut SEMPER FI".

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I didn't have to put up with any of the midshipman/ROTC/microscale-bearaucracy BS either. I hung out at the NROTC building, ate their food, slept on their couches, shot pool with the MECEP prior enlisted and PT'd with those guys.

That's the best reason I've ever heard to go PLC...ever. And my ROTC unit was way laid back. I can't imagine being in one that is keyed much higher.

Kenzie...if you're still around...You've been remediated enough on Airwarriors ROE. Here's the deal....You can get Marine Option Midshipman in your contract. You can't get Marine Option Flight Midshipman up front. Ain't gonna happen. You can also get Marine Option after going to your unit as a Navy Option; maybe not on your first try, but four years is a long time to piss off the MOI enough for him to go to bat for you. Once you're a Marine Option just start putting in your paperwork for a flight contract. The window and number of slots differs from day to day, but if you don't suck your MOI will take care of you.

Academy....All bets are off.

PLC and OCC...Two dogs of different breeds. You'll go to OCS for a longer period of time, but you'll be able to sign the line knowing that it's a flight contract which is what you so desperately desire. Just remember that if you dick up your body too bad to pass the ass-bleeding detail flight physical after you sign that you'll end up as a ground-borne Marine officer. Is that something you're comfortable with?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Were you speaking to an ENLISTED Recruiter or an OFFICER Recruiter (OSO)? Did your recruiter tell you that you'd have to sign up as an Enlisted Reservist in order to increase your chances for a scholarship? Make sure you are talking to the right type of recruiter. Second, have you spoken to the NROTC unit you want to attend?

BTW, Marine NROTC scholarships are very hard to come by. IF, and that's a big IF, you get a 4 year Marine NROTC Scholarship, then you are in the minority. Most folks cross over from a Navy scholarship to a Marine scholarship, otherwise they are College Program students paying their own way through college vying for a Marine Scholarship. As others have stated, PLC is another avenue.

Marine, or Naval Officer FIRST, then Aviator if you are lucky enough to make the cut.

Take a deep breath and look around the site a bit more before you dig yourself into a DEEP hole.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You might end up having to take a slew of technical classes during your time in NROTC in spite of your Performing Arts or Ceramics major. Many of my buddies who went through spent long hours in the study hall pissing about calc II and "business physics" or something like that. From what I remember they were a req. prescribed by the battalion CO and henceforth may vary by university.

It may have changed, but when I was going through NROTC, the Marine Options didn't have to take Calc/Physics, only the Navy scholarship options. The ECPs didn't even have to take the classes. If they changed it, so be it, but your buddies may have just been taking their state required math courses or a version of physics w/out calc.

kenzie

I was talking to an enlisted recruiter and I am just trying to find the best way to get to where i want to go. All this is a little confusing, but i am planning on going to an OSO soon. Hopefully he can help.

coledcuts

By all means confer with an OSO. They'll give you the straight dope. In my estimation, 6 week PLC sounds like a good option for you. Arrange a meeting with the command staff of the NROTC in your area as well. You may find that you enjoy the regimented structure that it offers.

kenzie

By all means confer with an OSO. They'll give you the straight dope. In my estimation, 6 week PLC sounds like a good option for you. Arrange a meeting with the command staff of the NROTC in your area as well. You may find that you enjoy the regimented structure that it offers.

So you think that going through PLC is a better way to become a pilot than OCS and NROTC?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Kenzie, just to be absolutely clear, PLC is either 2 summers of 6 weeks each (or the single 10 week combined summer session) and go directly to an OSO with your questions.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
So you think that going through PLC is a better way to become a pilot than OCS and NROTC?

The only way you don't go to OCS to be a Marine officer is to go to the Naval Academy. NROTC guys go for one six week session of OCS. PLC guys go for two seperate six week sessions, the second session (seniors) is what NROTC guys go to. OCC is basically the same as PLC except they do one longer ten week session. I chose PLC and I would choose it again if I were in the same situation. You get to live your life without hassles when you're in school, then you spend half of two summers getting paid to get abused at OCS.