• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Kenzie's Korner (you may fire when ready)

kenzie

Yes. Swanee doesn't know what he's talking about. NROTC, The Academy, PLC, and OCC all have Aviation Contract options.

But if you're good enough, you don't need an air contract to get jets. Just sayin.

So Squeeze, would you say that taking an NROTC scholarship is a good idea if I want to fly jets, or is there another path that is better suited to getting there?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
hmm i new i should have found some other way to get these questions answered. getting made fun of by the people i admire that sounds like fun. :)

Well, we have many "Stupid Question" threads (ie OCS, Naval Aviation, etc.). ROE protects you there. If you throw them out in open forum, you are like a plastic duck at a Carnival Shooting Gallery.

screen4.png

Hint: don't be the yellow duck!

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Rocketman that is a great video, and it has helped me so much that I know exactly what to do and how to become a pilot.

thank you

Cool. Now you can relax and wait for Santa to show up. I hope you get everything on your list !

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Lots of Situps...lots of pushups...run your ass off...and read the other 8 thousand PT threads on AW before starting your own...

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I know that OCS is hard and that a lot of training is needed to be physically ready, so does anyone have an effective training plan that they used or advice on what to work on other than running my a** off?

I searched OCS fitness programs and came up with a few things....

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13376&highlight=ocs+fitness+programs

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141596&highlight=ocs+fitness+programs

No telling what other searches might turn up.......

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I know that OCS is hard and that a lot of training is needed to be physically ready, so does anyone have an effective training plan that they used or advice on what to work on other than running my a** off?

I understand your enthusiasm and that you have questions, but your questions are pretty much the same that everyone else in your boat asks. In fact, there is even a forum dedicated to PT and the PFT. Please, go use the search function and spend some time with your eyes open and your fingers still before you ask another question. It's for the best.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Yes. Swanee doesn't know what he's talking about. NROTC, The Academy, PLC, and OCC all have Aviation Contract options.

But if you're good enough, you don't need an air contract to get jets. Just sayin.

Whoa whoa whee whoa, so you can get into NROTC or the Academy, and before you sign on the line you go in with a contract to go Air? Or you do earn one while you are there? I know guys come from those sources to TBS with air contracts, but I didn't know you could go ROTC or Academy and from day one know you are going to get a shot at wings.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Kenzie, scroll to bottom of this page and you'll see that the forum software has already researched the threads that have this topic addressed. The better the title of your thread, the better job it does automatically offering up threads from the past. You can also search on key words and we advise you to do so BEFORE starting a thread on a topic that has many threads already present. Otherwise, every new person will think it's OK to start new things on any issue that want answered. That results in a viral outbreak and a lot of repeat info. So, your homework assignment is to learn to use and put into practice "Search before asking" AND kept the "Stupid" questions in threads designated for such. Otherwise, the Mods will move your posts there.

kenzie

Whoa whoa whee whoa, so you can get into NROTC or the Academy, and before you sign on the line you go in with a contract to go Air? Or you do earn one while you are there? I know guys come from those sources to TBS with air contracts, but I didn't know you could go ROTC or Academy and from day one know you are going to get a shot at wings.

That is what I was told by a recruiter. That if I signed for the NROTC scholarship then I would have a spot at flight school if I made it through everything else. He said there was no guarantee that I would fly jets or any aircraft for that matter, but I would get a shot.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is what I was told by a recruiter. That if I signed for the NROTC scholarship then I would have a spot at flight school if I made it through everything else. He said there was no guarantee that I would fly jets or any aircraft for that matter, but I would get a shot.

Ask him if he'd be willing to put that in writing or better yet, come here and post that guarantee. You'll get to state your preferences, but needs of the service prevail. Check out PLC (with an Air Contract) if you want to go Marine and BDCP for Navy. ROTC and Academy go through a selection process once you're nearing graduation and there are no guarantees before that point. Check the threads, it's all discussed here.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Marine Option NROTC students can get a flight contract before graduation. The time frame varies. When I was a student it was limited, I want to say juniors and seniors only. Then it changed and people could apply for them as early as their freshman years. Don't know what rules MCRC has in place now.

He's thinking they give it to him upon signing on dotted line not once in the program before graduation, which is what I'm saying and even then, if he majors in wrong subject, he could be a Nuke Power Voluntold if he doesn't get the Marine Option in NROTC.

kenzie

The recruiter I was talking to told me had some buddies who became pilots (he couldn’t because of his eyes) who had majored in subjects like history and English. Said that it is good to take some math classes, but it is not required. He just said that if you take them it would mean less studying when you have to start learning that stuff.