• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just watched Shuttle Launch

Whalebite

I beleive all the remaining shuttles have upgraded glass cockpits. Dont know where i read that, but too lazy too look up right now.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Does anyone know if NFOs can be astronauts? I swear I remember a FO astronaut while watching the NASA channel. Not sure if he had another job on the shuttle but if anyone knows, please indulge me.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Does anyone know if NFOs can be astronauts? I swear I remember a FO astronaut while watching the NASA channel. Not sure if he had another job on the shuttle but if anyone knows, please indulge me.

I had a smarta$$ reply based on Fezz's question, but to answer it - yes. There are NFO astronauts. :)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had a smarta$$ reply based on Fezz's question, but to answer it - yes. There are NFO astronauts. :)

Do the NFOs "fly" or are they just self-loading baggage like in every other platform? Where's SOB when you need a nice, uninformed comment? :D

Brett

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Do the NFOs "fly" or are they just self-loading baggage like in every other platform? Where's SOB when you need a nice, uninformed comment? :D

Brett

They man the drink cart and squeeze food from the packages so the pilots don't have to exert themselves. :)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Damn....you guys beat me to it. I didn't figure it would be the NFOs that would stir the pot.

Also, there have been flight surgeons that were astronauts. I knew a guy who's a flight surgeon that had a twin brother who was also a flight surgeon. They both applied to the program and later heard that NASA had selected the first set of twins to become astronauts, who were both navy flight surgeons. They were happy as hell until it turned out there was another pair, who actually got selected. What are the odds?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Damn....you guys beat me to it. I didn't figure it would be the NFOs that would stir the pot.

Also, there have been flight surgeons that were astronauts. I knew a guy who's a flight surgeon that had a twin brother who was also a flight surgeon. They both applied to the program and later heard that NASA had selected the first set of twins to become astronauts, who were both navy flight surgeons. They were happy as hell until it turned out there was another pair, who actually got selected. What are the odds?

There was a pair of twin dual designator (flight surgeon/pilot) dudes in JAX during my VP days. I wonder if they're the same guys. PM me if you remember their names. Goober, weren't you in JAX VP in the early 90s? Remember those guys?

Brett

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
The guys I knew weren't pilots, too. Just Docs. I didn't know the guys who actually got selected. How many twin flight surgeon pairs can the navy have? I guess at least two pair, but your guys are probably the ones who got it. Especially since they were dual qual guys. That would make a little more sense.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The guys I knew weren't pilots, too. Just Docs. I didn't know the guys who actually got selected. How many twin flight surgeon pairs can the navy have? I guess at least two pair, but your guys are probably the ones who got it. Especially since they were dual qual guys. That would make a little more sense.

I heard another anecdote about a pilot type who, for whatever reason, wasn't competitive to get picked up, despite multiple attempts. He finally redesignated as a flight surgeon (via several years of medical school) and finally got picked up that way. Now THAT'S dedication and perseverance.

Brett

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I would think it would almost be easier as a pilot. How many of us are there compared to doctors? I don't know if you have to be a FS, but there are an a$$load of doctors out there. Plus, the have two pilots per launch (plus back-ups). How many FS jobs do they have?

Anyway, good on him for sticking with it and getting what he wanted. Personally, the whole program sounds like a 3 year brief for a 3 day flight. Not my bag. Plus, it's probably not as much fun as it looks to those of us who are on the outside (launch and landing aside).

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!

Brett

yoda-13.jpg

Much anger I sense in you (not so) young NFO. :D