• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just watched Shuttle Launch

MasterBates

Watched the shuttle launch from my backyard. I saw it clear the trees @ ~ T+1:30. Was able to follow it to SRB seperation, then it was out of sight!

Have a good flight, Discovery!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Watched the shuttle launch from my backyard. I saw it clear the trees @ ~ T+1:30. Was able to follow it to SRB seperation, then it was out of sight!

Have a good flight, Discovery!

Watched on TV but remember being able to see it from JAX as well. Traveling down to Titusville to watch an actual launch remains one of the coolest things I've ever done - highly recommended. What a great way to celebrate our independence. Happy birthday, nation.

Brett

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
I remember watching it launch well living in Melbourne as a young'n.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I saw a night launch and it was like watching the sun come up over the horizon
I've watched two launches, live....one day and one night. Loved em both. Watching a night launch truly is like watching the sun come up in fast forward. Even though the Shuttle is quite a distance away from where you can watch the launch, you can still feel the rumble right in your gut. It's awesome! The only think that can make it better is taking some wings and beer with you. :D

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Concur, The shuttle is awesome. I have woken up many a night to go outside and watch a satellite launch ( since the shuttle doesn't anymore). I bought a viewing ticket for the first Return to Flight launch and it was awesome from 6 miles away. You can really feel it in your chest and you can just feel the excitment flowing through the crowd from the final minute until it is out of sight. Definitely something that will remain in my memory for a long time!

Carno

Insane
My parents live in Titusville, so I grew up watching the Space Shuttles take off.

Always an awesome thing to see, especially this year on the Fourth of July.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
If you're ever in El Paso, stop by the NASA training facility and ask the guy to show you around. He let me sit in the trainer (Gulfstream with shuttle controls) and it was interesting. I was surprised how simple the control panel was. Not what I expected.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
If you're ever in El Paso, stop by the NASA training facility and ask the guy to show you around. He let me sit in the trainer (Gulfstream with shuttle controls) and it was interesting. I was surprised how simple the control panel was. Not what I expected.

from airliners.net

01619190ts.jpg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow. So even the shuttle pilots are HUD cripples. Now I don't feel so bad. :D

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I went down to Titusville on Saturday to watch the launch, but instead got caught in the departing traffic and all the Daytona traffic on the way down there. So much fun. I did see the launch from the beach at Mayport, surprised how well you could see it this far north. It really was something else to see, glad I did.

AppleCello

I heard the TV poeple say that NASA wont do any more night-launches of the orbiter so that they can monitor the foam break-away from the extrenal tank. This way, they can use their hundred-some cameras and sensors to track the falling foam and make sure its safe for re-entry.

Watching the shuttle go up is one of my favorite things ever. I have never seen it live and I really should make it a priority to see in the next year... There is no telling how many more flights remain at this point... one more major problem and they will just ground it until they can work out alternate craft...

Carno

Insane
My dad works for NASA, and he said they supposedly need 18 or so more shuttle launches to finish the space station. The Russians just finished up the work that the US contracted out to them, so from now on it's up to NASA to finish the station. NASA is in a tight spot with finishing the space station, because there definitely won't be 18 more shuttle flights.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Used to live at the south end of Orange Park (Middleburg street address - that far south) before a lot of the development really started going on. Roommate and I would watch night launches from the front yard for as long as we could see it. After, we'd go look at the NASA channel on cable to see where it was - off the coast of North Carolina. Could see the SRB separation and everything.

Lonestar155

is good to go
I had chills going down my spine while I watched the shuttle launch. At the same time it was a beautiful way to celebrate our independence day, but on the other hand I knew anything could go wrong since there was some controversy with the condition of the shuttle. I could and will never imagine what it feels like to be strapped into the shuttle during a launch. So many emotions must be going through the astronauts' minds during a launch. Those men and women are true American heroes.