• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just took the ASTB.

SConner

I take the ASTB on Monday, in Pittsburgh. 9:00 am. I studied both the Arco book and the Barron Book. Be careful with the Barron book there are several mistakes in the test section and in the text. But doing the practice test have helped me nail down the sections I need to study more of.

MackOhare

Just a few questions for the guys who have taken the ASTB already and used the Arco Military Flight Aptitude book. Did you guys study the AFOQT part as well, in addition to the ASTB section? Seems like there's a lot of overlap, but also some things in the AF part, like the block counting and data interpretation, that don't appear on the Navy test. My first choice is Navy, but I figure I will go over all the AF stuff as well to beef up my skills, and in case I decide to pursue the AF option if need be. Anybody else do the same, or did you just focus on ASTB?

Also, as far as the spatial apperception go, are the study guide examples identical to the ASTB, in that the diagrams depicted show the view as if you were looking out of the cockpit windshield? I realize the airplane and drawing might be different, but just want to confirm if the concept is the same?

das

Contributor
Just a few questions for the guys who have taken the ASTB already and used the Arco Military Flight Aptitude book. Did you guys study the AFOQT part as well, in addition to the ASTB section? Seems like there's a lot of overlap, but also some things in the AF part, like the block counting and data interpretation, that don't appear on the Navy test. My first choice is Navy, but I figure I will go over all the AF stuff as well to beef up my skills, and in case I decide to pursue the AF option if need be. Anybody else do the same, or did you just focus on ASTB?

It can't hurt to go over the AFOQT stuff as well, though much of the AFOQT material (like blocks, etc.) doesn't appear on ASTB sections. I actually found the Barron's book to be better for preparation, even with the occasional errors it has (which were mainly a few wrong answers for the sample tests). I went over the Marine Gouge, Barron's, and ARCO, and was well-prepared for the test, and came out of the test with an 8/8/7/68 after having been out of school for 15 years. The fact of the matter is that the ASTB is mainly an aptitude test, NOT a skill/knowledge test, with the notable exception of aviation and nautical knowledge. That's not to say that some smart preparation can't help with the aptitude portions somewhat as well.

Also, as far as the spatial apperception go, are the study guide examples identical to the ASTB, in that the diagrams depicted show the view as if you were looking out of the cockpit windshield? I realize the airplane and drawing might be different, but just want to confirm if the concept is the same?

Yes. While the plane drawing is different, that is exactly how the spatial apperception section is. The one exception is that the real test does represent two differing angles of climb and bank, e.g., level, shallow, and steep, as opposed to just level or not, but the distinction is well-explained in the instructions and is obvious. The other difference is that all of the sample tests include combinations of land and water, or heading straight out to sea, while the actual test included many examples of the plane heading inland. This is of course also not a big deal, just something I noticed. If you can do the samples of these, you'll do fine on the real thing.

jtmedli

pilot

Read the ARCO book. It will tell you what sections are/aren't on the ASTB and AFOQT so you can see what they have in common. Mostly I'd just worry about the Math, Verbal, Aero sections. So yes, I'd go through the AFOQT part as well. I took the AFOQT first and did this with the ASTB and got 99's across the board and then vice versa with the ASTB and got 8/8/8 so it worked for me.

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?
I am taking the ASTB again in late May but took it cold back in 2006 and passed but it was nothing to write home about. I am preparing with the following:

Arco Book
USMC Aviation supplemental guide
Basic overview of fractions
Kaplan GRE Book (will explain why)

The Arco book gives you all the info about the test so you can really drill down on what you need and what you don't need to bother with. The USMC guide explains all the simple machines and mechanics in relatively good terms but with some crazy typos and the GRE book will allow you to test yourself repeatedly.

My weakness is math and mechanics and knowing what is on the test, I can go through the GRE book and skip the problems that aren't going to be on and concentrate on the word problems and mildly complex equations.

Hopefully it's a go. I am competing for SNA, NFO and intel and have three years in the intel community thus far. I want that flight slot but would be satisfied doing intel too.

I just hope that the ASTB is not deemed the end all and be all for all candidates.

To the original author: did you take the new test or the older version? I am confused as to when they rolled out the new test. I was informed that I will be testing on a computer but I have been unable to track down any good intel regarding the content of the computer based format.

Thanks in advance.

das

Contributor
I am confused as to when they rolled out the new test. I was informed that I will be testing on a computer but I have been unable to track down any good intel regarding the content of the computer based format.

From the ASTB Frequently Asked Questions:

Can I take the ASTB on a computer? Will I have an advantage if I take the paper version of the test?

At some test sites, the ASTB is available in a web-based format called APEX.NET. The content on the computer-administered version of the test is identical to the paper-and-pencil version of the test. The web-based version of the ASTB allows for the administration of the exam anywhere in the world, but the system is operated on a secure server that is monitored and controlled by NOMI. Even though some individuals feel more comfortable taking the paper version of the test, studies have found that there is no significant difference in pass rates between the paper and computer versions of the test.

How can I find out my ASTB scores? Is there any way to find out my scores immediately?

The paper-and-pencil version of the ASTB must be sent to NOMI to be scored. Unlike previous forms of the test, scoring manuals were not issued to the fleet for ASTB Forms 3, 4, and 5 in order to protect test security. Therefore, recruiters and other test administrators are no longer able to provide unofficial scores for the test. In order to obtain scores for the test, examinees or recruiters may call 850-452-2257, then select Option 8 (Operational Psychology), then Option 1 (ASTB Scores) to be connected with a department representative. An official score letter will be generated that can be faxed, mailed, or e-mailed to the examinee. On the other hand, score letters can ONLY be e-mailed to addresses that end in .mil or .edu (For example Joe Examinee@nomi.med.navy.mil). Individuals can also request scores by sending an e-mail to NOMI-psychtech@med.navy.mil. Individuals should include their name and social security number as well as the address, fax number, or e-mail address where they would like to receive the score letter.

Immediate scores on these ASTB forms can be generated using the APEX.NET web-based platform for ASTB administration. Please ask your recruiter for more information about taking an online administration of the test.

The main difference with the computer-based version of the test (other than being on a computer) is that you will find out your scores immediately. I took the paper and pencil version myself, and got my results back in less than a week.

The issue of paper and pencil vs computer is separate from the new ASTB that is apparently being developed. That thread was the first I had heard or seen it, so I'm not sure about anything beyond that.

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?
Thanks for the heads up. I am going to assume (hell of an assumption) that I will just be taking the same test but on the computer.

Thanks again for the information and here's to a career in the Navy.

Sailtexas20

I am a MIDN at Texas a&m and just took the ASTB. my scores were 5/6/5 48. I have a 3.1 GPA in Marine Transportation. I am going for SNA how am I looking.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I am a MIDN at Texas a&m and just took the ASTB. my scores were 5/6/5 48. I have a 3.1 GPA in Marine Transportation. I am going for SNA how am I looking.

Thats probably on the low end, but I have known some guys to get picked up with similar scores. I knew someone who got picked up with 5/5/5 50 for SNA. I was only at 5/7/6 50 and got picked up.

jharris48

Since you can only take the ASTB three times in your life, I just took the OAR section to make sure I was on track before I took the full test. I just took it last thursday. It was on the computer and it was easier than the Barron book practice test and the ASVAB practice test. I scored a 65 and did a significant amount of study with the gouge found here.

A note about the computer version: The computer I took it on was super slow and when it was loading the next question it would waist 3 or 4 seconds each time. At one point it froze up with the clock running and I lost a full 2 and a half minutes on the Math section. Luckily the problems were a bit simpler than I expected so I was still able to finish, but there wasn't time for me to check my answers. I would suggest being fairly fast at simple algebra, cross multiplication, etc. (If possible I would take the paper test.)

Anyway wish me luck, I'll be taking the full thing in thirty days!

blarged

ready
If possible I would take the paper test.

yikes, not a chance. i loved being able to mark questions to come back to (but i guess that is only good if the computer doesn't freeze). I wonder if there has been any comparison between average scores on the paper vs average scores on the computer version.

congrats on your 65! I don't think you'll be wanting to retake it, hah.

my 65 did my just fine.

akrebel84

Took my ASTB today and got 7/7/7 54...like most of you I have no idea how good/not good that score is. Is this score good enough to be real competitive or should I start studying again?

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Took my ASTB today and got 7/7/7/7 54...like most of you I have no idea how good/not good that score is. Is this score good enough to be real competitive or should I start studying again?

Wow, thats really good. Most people can only get three 7's.

das

Contributor
Took my ASTB today and got 7/7/7/7 54...like most of you I have no idea how good/not good that score is. Is this score good enough to be real competitive or should I start studying again?

Those are solid scores...though I think you might have an extra 7 in there. ;-)

No need to take it again unless you're positive you will do better; remember, only your most recent score counts! But those scores are good!

akrebel84

Haha damn you guys are quick...I changed that right after I saw I posted it! got a little carried away with the slashes