• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just took the ASTB.

PolishMike

Hey all,

I just found this forum (right after taking the ASTB ironically). I had no idea what I was in for as I have been putting this package together in a hurry. I have a private pilot license so I didn't think it would be too hard. I realized that I forgot some of the stuff though.

I am going to USMC PLC in a couple months. I am hoping to fly(obviously). I just got my flight physical approved so I am good medically.

Anyway I got a 6/6/6/54 on the ASTB. My OSO said I passed but didn't really elaborate. What does this mean?

Mike

MCatchings88

ASTB in USMC is pass/fail. 4/6/4 is passing. I got the same scores and signed my air contract, dont worry about ASTB anymore, focus on the PFT now.

gusthebus229

I got in the BDCP with a similar score (6/6/7 54), so your score should be impressive enough.

My recruiter did the same thing: "that's outstanding" with little to no realistic enthusiasm, and I didn't know what to think.

gb21

ASTB scores

I actually just took the ASTB today, and I scored a 43 4,5,5. I am a sophmore in college right now and I have a 3.27 in business finance (I also have play div 1 basketball). I am applying for the bdcp and my first choice is obviously SNA. Do you think I should just submit my packet, or should I retake the test?

champ53

I would recommend retaking it only if you feel that you can score higher. You can take the astb 3 times in your life and the most recent score is the one that counts not the best.

Semper_Fly

I am planning on taking the ASTB, but I'm not sure what to study for. I have been looking at different websites like navygouge and I ordered the Arco book, but it's on back order everywhere. I pulled out my old aerospace book for AFJROTC. I want to know what is actually on the test. any suggestions?

das

Contributor
I am planning on taking the ASTB, but I'm not sure what to study for. I have been looking at different websites like navygouge and I ordered the Arco book, but it's on back order everywhere. I pulled out my old aerospace book for AFJROTC. I want to know what is actually on the test. any suggestions?

The ARCO book is available for download here:

http://www.grafitto.com/~mark/astb/MilitaryFlight.pdf

Recommendation:

Go through this entire thread, and you'll know what you need to know.

Vegas

AH-1Z
pilot
I cant speak for navy, but the Marine Corps its a pass/fail, If you pass dont ever worry about it again, if you dont study like hell and pass.

Vegas

AH-1Z
pilot

First it would be helpful for you to search, there are hundreds of threads on the astb. My personal advice for people who are going to take it is to use these test taking strategies:
-Start by doing all the easy questions dont waste any time trying something your not sure how to do untill you answer every question you know how to do.
-After you finish all the easy questions move on to the questions you skiped and try to figure them out.
-At 30 seconds left answer the same letter for all the questions left(you cant lose points so there is no reason any question should be left blank)

Those are some basic tips that will often make a big difference in your score.
best of luck

blarged

ready
-At 30 seconds left answer the same letter for all the questions left(you cant lose points so there is no reason any question should be left blank)

Most of what people can tell you on the forum is to study and be well rested for the test. But this little bit of knowledge can really save you and earn some points that would have otherwise been lost. If you are taking it on a computer, you can flag questions to come back to later... VERY helpful.

jtmedli

pilot
I took the AFOQT first and got 99's (studied my tail off for that thing). It ended up helping me out alot on the ASTB where I got 8/8/8!! Not bragging at all, but that ARCO book and the Marine Gouge was the only thing I used so it's pretty decent.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
I actually just took the ASTB today, and I scored a 43 4,5,5. I am a sophmore in college right now and I have a 3.27 in business finance (I also have play div 1 basketball). I am applying for the bdcp and my first choice is obviously SNA. Do you think I should just submit my packet, or should I retake the test?

i was in your same boat, but first time around 50 6/6/7, didnt retake applied and non select. then went more months with out a select getting better gpa and astb, studied and made 65 8/7/7(finance and 3.32). So as a finance major, im sure your aware of the time value of money. I would wait a month, study gouge(plenty on here), retake, have confident score and then get accepted sooner and bdcp money sooner. My OR was ify sending mine in with 50 6/6/7, SNA is competitive, and with 2 years left of college they want to be impressed for bdcp.

yet still lives true, the best time to apply is NOW. crunch some numbers take your pick. my .02