• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just took the ASTB.

Aviator2B

Pro-Rec SNA, NFO, SWO!
scores

So I just took it 2 weeks ago. Only studied for a night so may want to retake.

52 oar, 6/5/5. SNA, NFO, SWO
PRT was 79/79/10:04
GPA 3.35, sports med
LOR 3 ESN and 1 retired captain(all aviation) and 3 previous supervisors
Project leader for a NPO, varsity soccer in college(captain), all other sports in high school, aopa member, National Honor Society member, v.p. of fraternity, vp of community college soccer team, scuba license, 41.4 hrs flight time(solo, xc, solo xc) Tons of academic awards....Hopefully all of this makes up for the not so good test scores.

Submitting my package tomorrow....going to give it a shot and if a no-select I will retake.

Aviator2B

Pro-Rec SNA, NFO, SWO!
I am just wondering...I wasn't able to get my scores back until almost a week and a half later because they have to send it to Pcola. How did you get it on the same day? Am I missing something??

blarged

ready
I am just wondering...I wasn't able to get my scores back until almost a week and a half later because they have to send it to Pcola. How did you get it on the same day? Am I missing something??

Sounds like you took the paper ASTB?

Most of us (it seems) recently that have taken it, used a computer. After finishing the test, it takes all of 30 seconds for the computer to poop out your score.

I think the computer test would be easier to move quickly with, resulting in a possible better score, but that might be just me.

allison

ASTB Math

Hello All,

I read through several of the post and I just need a straight answer. What is the best study guide for the MATH section? I'm not great at math and I have been studying a GRE math prep book.

das

Contributor
Hello All,

I read through several of the post and I just need a straight answer. What is the best study guide for the MATH section? I'm not great at math and I have been studying a GRE math prep book.

There is no straight answer. Different guides are better for different people.

ARCO, Barron's, and "Marine Gouge" is what many use.

Your best bet is to take the practice tests, time yourself, and brush up on what you don't understand or are taking too long on. The key with the math section is that you only have about a minute for each question, so time management -- and figuring out how to effectively eliminate obviously wrong answers and deduce the correct one even if you're not completely sure -- is key. If you really need tutoring/guidance, then some of the math prep test type of resources are also good.

Aviator2B

Pro-Rec SNA, NFO, SWO!
Sounds like you took the paper ASTB?

Most of us (it seems) recently that have taken it, used a computer. After finishing the test, it takes all of 30 seconds for the computer to poop out your score.

I think the computer test would be easier to move quickly with, resulting in a possible better score, but that might be just me.
I guess NRD Jax is still oldschool. I wish I could take the computer test and I'm sure I would get a better score. I guess if I do not get selected I am going to request that. Thanks!

das

Contributor
I guess NRD Jax is still oldschool. I wish I could take the computer test and I'm sure I would get a better score. I guess if I do not get selected I am going to request that. Thanks!

For what it's worth:

Can I take the ASTB on a computer? Will I have an advantage if I take the paper version of the test?

At some test sites, the ASTB is available in a web-based format called APEX.NET. The content on the computer-administered version of the test is identical to the paper-and-pencil version of the test. The web-based version of the ASTB allows for the administration of the exam anywhere in the world, but the system is operated on a secure server that is monitored and controlled by NOMI. Even though some individuals feel more comfortable taking the paper version of the test, studies have found that there is no significant difference in pass rates between the paper and computer versions of the test.

Aviator2B

Pro-Rec SNA, NFO, SWO!
For what it's worth:

Can I take the ASTB on a computer? Will I have an advantage if I take the paper version of the test?

At some test sites, the ASTB is available in a web-based format called APEX.NET. The content on the computer-administered version of the test is identical to the paper-and-pencil version of the test. The web-based version of the ASTB allows for the administration of the exam anywhere in the world, but the system is operated on a secure server that is monitored and controlled by NOMI. Even though some individuals feel more comfortable taking the paper version of the test, studies have found that there is no significant difference in pass rates between the paper and computer versions of the test.
ahh good post. However I would think that you would have more time on the computer based version(but maybe not a significant amount). You do not have to worry about erasing, is the circle filled in good enough, finding the right circle. etc. Even better is not having to fill in all the circles for everything else. May just depend on the person. Hopefully I do not have to worry about a retake though. Thanks for the info.