• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just selected, and got....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sure, but the capability exists (esoteric differences notwithstanding) and they'll utimately go where they're needed most.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just selected P3/P8. Any new gouge on when Whidbey is doing the transition? Word is Jax is almost done. Are they going right into transitions over there. Also does anybody know how they are determining the guys going P3 vs guys going P8? It seems that no matter what we'll all end up in the same plane. Just looking around and getting excited for advanced.

Jax is effectively out of the P-3 business with the exception of the reserve types. The last P-3 squadron is on deployment and will transition when they get home. As far as Whidbey goes they're going to start with the legacy Hawaii squadrons first, transitioning them as they finish up their last P-3 deployments and simultaneously move them to Whidbey. That starts next year.

jugg34naut

pilot
One of the better thread resurrections lately. Congrats!

I had jets first and I am so glad that big Navy knew what was better for me than I did. As far as I am concerned I dodged a bullet. I'd like to keep my family in one piece for one and I think maritime is a great piece to that puzzle.

jugg34naut

pilot
Jax is effectively out of the P-3 business with the exception of the reserve types. The last P-3 squadron is on deployment and will transition when they get home. As far as Whidbey goes they're going to start with the legacy Hawaii squadrons first, transitioning them as they finish up their last P-3 deployments and simultaneously move them to Whidbey. That starts next year.

How long does it take to transition a squadron? If it's anything like Corpus and the t34 transition that'd be a nightmare. You'd think that they would have worked out the kinks when then transitioned Whiting. I have API buddies that classed up a month before me in Corpus. I finished in Whiting this month. Those guys are still 1-2 months out. Wx is a factor but it's going so slow down there.
Do the p3 guys go back to the FRS or do they learn the plane from IPs that have been sent ahead of time?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sure, but the capability exists (esoteric differences notwithstanding) and they'll utimately go where they're needed most.

Which won't be in support of Navy forces, we are basically losing half of our capability in that area with the EP-3 retired. While the Navy has made a great commitment to EA they have neglected the ES half of the equation the past 20 years.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Among other things...

Yup, at least VAQ has come out much better than most. There are a lot of cuts that have been made and more to come, the EP-3 was low hanging fruit and an easy cut for the Navy to make but it still doesn't make this old VQ'er too happy.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I'd like to keep my family in one piece for one and I think maritime is a great piece to that puzzle.

First, congrats on selection. Second, what makes you think selecting jets would have not kept your "family in one piece"? People, relationships, and marriages fail across the spectrum of employment - and that means they fail across the spectrum of flight school selection and community.

I had jets first and I am so glad that big Navy knew what was better for me than I did. As far as I am concerned I dodged a bullet.
If it was a bullet, why'd you put it first?

Look, I'm not trying to rain on your parade - I'm just trying to offer some advice. If you think the community you selected is what is going to make or break a family/marriage.... It's not. You, your partner, your maturity, your communication, and your ability to manage expectations will go lot further toward ensuring happiness then whether or not your aircraft has a tail hook or a microwave :cool:

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I'll pile on here a little bit. Two friends of mine recently graduated Primary and were asking me to verify some rumors lurking around the VTs about tacair. They informed me that the gouge is jet guys are ALWAYS gone, fly very little, have a poor ready room/community attitude, have high divorce rates, and (this one was really funny) have no shot at getting picked up at an airline compared to a big wing guy.

I'll just caution all the Primary studs out there that if any of the above is true, it's true for all communities. I've been a helo guy and a jet guy and you're gonna love what you fly almost as much as the guys flying beside you, no matter where you go.

I can't believe someone could be led to believe that missing jets would be dodging a bullet.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How long does it take to transition a squadron? If it's anything like Corpus and the t34 transition that'd be a nightmare. You'd think that they would have worked out the kinks when then transitioned Whiting. I have API buddies that classed up a month before me in Corpus. I finished in Whiting this month. Those guys are still 1-2 months out. Wx is a factor but it's going so slow down there.
Do the p3 guys go back to the FRS or do they learn the plane from IPs that have been sent ahead of time?

It takes roughly six months. Squadron gets back from P-3 deployment, turns in their planes, and starts transition. Whether or not a person transitions with the squadron is dependent on how much time they have left in the squadron. During the transition time the squadron is getting instructed by VP-30 types. Typically a couple people with P-8 experience will get orders to the squadron so they can assist during the transition and be instructor makers during the beginning of the IDRC. In my squadron our XO came in a qualified P-8 IP and one of our DHs was already a P-8 instructor TACCO.

jtmedli

pilot
I'll just caution all the Primary studs out there that if any of the above is true, it's true for all communities. I've been a helo guy and a jet guy and you're gonna love what you fly almost as much as the guys flying beside you, no matter where you go.

I can't believe someone could be led to believe that missing jets would be dodging a bullet.

I'll second the above. You will have fun wherever you go. Every community has their ups and downs.