• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just graduated OCS, AMA

SBeaty

Congrats! I have seen answers before but want to confirm currently. How is the swim test? Did you see people who can't swim be able to pass after doing some swim training in lieu of PT?

v/r
The swim test is jumping from a small tower, swimming 50 yards with the stroke of your choice (proper form), floating for 5 minutes on your face or back, and then you have to inflate the coveralls at the end. You only put the coveralls on when it is time for that portion of the qual. Everyone passes the swim at some point. The pool staff are very helpful. Later in training you have the chance of taking the second-class qual, although you have to do it again down in Pcola anyway.

SBeaty

What do you know now that you wish you knew before you went to OCS? What was your biggest misconception about the school?
Honestly, just proper stretching and injury prevention. I did not struggle with physical training like I thought. It was hard, but I kept my form and rarely got sharked. The hard part was managing shin splints and general soreness. Injuries creep up fast.

As for misconceptions...the school was more relaxed than I thought it would be. I found myself with plenty of time to study, write letters, socialize, talk to other classes, learn about life in the Navy outside of OCS...it really is a great experience in the evenings when all the staff are away.

flgator92

None
I found myself with plenty of time to ... learn about life in the Navy outside of OCS...it really is a great experience in the evenings when all the staff are away.
Hey congrats on completing OCS, SBeaty. But to this point for all of you about to go to OCS: take time in the evenings to learn from the prior enlisted about life in the Navy.

OCS is not the Navy. It's good at teaching some stuff (military bearing/discipline, uniform regs, etc.), but poor at teaching what daily life is actually like in the Navy. When I was at OCS, I'd always ask priors, at a bare minimum, what their rate was (and what they did in that rate). There are a lot of rates in the Navy, and being a lowly ensign hitting the fleet, knowing some of that really helps and you'll get more respect from the enlisted if you know and understand what their job is. Build your working knowledge as much as possible, as early as possible.

For the prospective aviators (SNAs/SNFOs) you'll indoctrinated into your specific community and their traditions, ways of doing things, and expectations in your advanced training squadron (last stop before your wings). Communities within aviation vary considerably in expectations and lifestyle. Be ready to learn a ton in preflight (API/IFS/NIFE/whatever they call it now) and in flight school once you hit primary.

But definitely learn all you can at OCS and realize the training has just begun. Until you pin on your warfare device, stay humble and learn all you can. In fact, even after you earn your wings, stay humble and learn all you can. If you're humble, know your boldface, and are a good dude, you'll be fine.

Solo43

I will offer the current gouge, but if you’re months away from heading to Newport, covid-related gouge is highly subject to change!
#OCS #SNFO #StudentPool
So basically what does it look like when you go to OCS as of the process getting in?

katiemmora

Do you get to call home to your families if you roll? When did you find out you would be in student pool? Were you nervous about the physical part going in to OCS?

Ty Corfield

Hey man, congrats! I have a question about OHARP. My wife and I have been talking about doing a mini road trip after OCS graduation since I have family up in Maine and Boston that I’ve never visited, and Newport is so close, so I was wondering what the general time frame you are expected back in your hometown is from the people that volunteered for OHARP. Also, for the people that do volunteer for OHARP, how likely is it that you get it? It’s something that I’ll likely want to do since my wife will still have a month or two to finish up the school year as a teacher after I graduate OCS, so I’d like to stick around for a little before Pensacola. Thanks!

SBeaty

Do you get to call home to your families if you roll? When did you find out you would be in student pool? Were you nervous about the physical part going in to OCS?
You get a phone call the day you roll. After that you get to sign up for phone calls friday evenings + weekends like everyone else. You usually figure out you'll be in student pool because of outstanding medical stuff. Your class team will also tell you in advance. If you don't sign your commissioning documents in candio, then you'll be in the pool.
For the physical stuff, nothing can really prepare you for the chaos of some of the events. There will be times you are exhausted but willpower with see you through. Train well in advance, eat right, hydrate.

SBeaty

Hey man, congrats! I have a question about OHARP. My wife and I have been talking about doing a mini road trip after OCS graduation since I have family up in Maine and Boston that I’ve never visited, and Newport is so close, so I was wondering what the general time frame you are expected back in your hometown is from the people that volunteered for OHARP. Also, for the people that do volunteer for OHARP, how likely is it that you get it? It’s something that I’ll likely want to do since my wife will still have a month or two to finish up the school year as a teacher after I graduate OCS, so I’d like to stick around for a little before Pensacola. Thanks!
I honestly can't give you a solid timeframe. It all depends on when you commission and what your orders say. If you have medical issues outstanding, you'll be in student pool for a bit and can safely take a couple weeks of leave. There are some caveats. If your orders come in while you're on leave, they'll call you back to Newport to take care of it.
AFAIK, all the people in my class that applied for OHARP are doing it. I don't know how it was in the past. Someone said it was mandatory but right now it is optional.

EDIT: If you are waiting on medical APPOINTMENTS, then you may have issues taking leave. If you are just waiting on processing and it is all out of your control, then you should be fine. It kinda sucks but that's just the way it is right now.

Hope that answered your questions, let me know if I can clarify.

Me So Hornet

SNA PRO-REC-Y / OCS 14AUG2022
Thanks for starting the thread SBeaty.

1. Did you arrive knowing all of Appendix B? How did candidates who did not know all of Appendix B do?

2. Any items you’d recommend bringing that are not on the required/recommended packing list? Big one I keep reading about is better black boot socks.

SBeaty

Thanks for starting the thread SBeaty.

1. Did you arrive knowing all of Appendix B? How did candidates who did not know all of Appendix B do?

2. Any items you’d recommend bringing that are not on the required/recommended packing list? Big one I keep reading about is better black boot socks.
I did not know most of bravo on arrival, but memorized it all during ROM. Since ROM is no longer mandatory, I suggest knowing at least half of it before you arrive so you suffer less. People that did not study their material ended up struggling the most because they had less and less time to prepare for the rest of the inspections.

Definitely bring a couple pairs of decent boot socks. Some moleskin and athletic tape may help too. A lot of people were getting put out of commission for blisters, so take care of your feet as much as possible. I made a trip to the NEX just about every weekend at OCS, so don't worry if you think you forgot something. You can also ask family to mail/order you something.

adtravelman808

I did not know most of bravo on arrival, but memorized it all during ROM. Since ROM is no longer mandatory, I suggest knowing at least half of it before you arrive so you suffer less. People that did not study their material ended up struggling the most because they had less and less time to prepare for the rest of the inspections.

Definitely bring a couple pairs of decent boot socks. Some moleskin and athletic tape may help too. A lot of people were getting put out of commission for blisters, so take care of your feet as much as possible. I made a trip to the NEX just about every weekend at OCS, so don't worry if you think you forgot something. You can also ask family to mail/order you something.

Hi congratulations on graduating from OCS. Thanks for being willing to answer questions. I head out soon and had a couple of questions. Is the two drawer unit in the room the only area for personal storage? I am asking because I would like to bring a blanket and pillow but I know everything has to be locked up during RLP. Is there a way to put excess items back in your lucky bag just prior to inspection? For instance, in looking at the OCR, two pair of black boot socks and two pair of white athletic socks are required to be in the drawer unit in the locker. However, I am sure we will get issued multiple pairs of both, as well as extra PT gear. Where did you put these things during RLP? Also, I noticed there was a locked compartment of some kind under the mattress. Is this a storage area? One last thing. Did you bring white t-shirts and the brown t-shirts with you prior to arrival? I've seen them on some of the packing lists. Thank you.

SBeaty

Hi congratulations on graduating from OCS. Thanks for being willing to answer questions. I head out soon and had a couple of questions. Is the two drawer unit in the room the only area for personal storage? I am asking because I would like to bring a blanket and pillow but I know everything has to be locked up during RLP. Is there a way to put excess items back in your lucky bag just prior to inspection? For instance, in looking at the OCR, two pair of black boot socks and two pair of white athletic socks are required to be in the drawer unit in the locker. However, I am sure we will get issued multiple pairs of both, as well as extra PT gear. Where did you put these things during RLP? Also, I noticed there was a locked compartment of some kind under the mattress. Is this a storage area? One last thing. Did you bring white t-shirts and the brown t-shirts with you prior to arrival? I've seen them on some of the packing lists. Thank you.
The 2-drawer is a black hole. Anything in it does not exist as long as it's locked. That being said, don't have anything you aren't allowed to have. When preparing for RLP, you'll just put anything extra into the 2-drawer or the big desk drawers.

You won't be accessing your lucky bag prior to candio unless you need your phone for an appointment or updating some financials.

The locker under the bed is not used.

If you bring any white or brown shirts, MAKE SURE THEY ARE CREW AND 100% COTTON, and that the neck fits tights. Trust me. I just bought extras of what they sell at the uniform store, they are super comfy.

adtravelman808

The 2-drawer is a black hole. Anything in it does not exist as long as it's locked. That being said, don't have anything you aren't allowed to have. When preparing for RLP, you'll just put anything extra into the 2-drawer or the big desk drawers.

You won't be accessing your lucky bag prior to candio unless you need your phone for an appointment or updating some financials.

The locker under the bed is not used.

If you bring any white or brown shirts, MAKE SURE THEY ARE CREW AND 100% COTTON, and that the neck fits tights. Trust me. I just bought extras of what they sell at the uniform store, they are super comfy.

Thank you very much. Really helpful info.