• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just enlisted, going in as E-3, I want gold wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker853

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum, just registered. I have many questions about becoming a pilot, don't know where to start.

So I'll just give you the low down about me
icon_smile.gif

I've had 130 college hours and chosen to finish my degree when I'm stationed wherever. I ship off to boot camp July 14th, and my rate is going to be AC - Air Traffic Controller.

My recruiter told me that I could finish my degree and then apply to be an officer, ultimately, a naval aviator. This has been my dream my whole life. Having that said, he knows nothing about requirements.

I currently wear contacts that correct my vision to 20/20, and uncorrected I have 20/20 nearsidedness and 20/100 farsightedness. I have no clue if that disqualifies me from everything or what. I scored an 89 on my asvab, which I am told is not too shabby.

Basically right now, I need a friend. Someone who's been there, or knows someone who's been there. I just need someone to take sometime and help me out. I think this is the right place. I look forward to engage with you all, even if I don't qualify for flight; I'm going into the Navy either way :)
I can be reached via AIM at jmann853 as well as MSN messenger at jmann853

Jesse

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Check into PRK - I don't think your vision is quite up to standards. I want to say that it's 20/40 correctable to 20/20 but I'm really not sure. It might be 20/70 - either way it sounds like you won't quite make it. There's tons of information on this site about vision requirements and PRK surgery to fix what God didn't bless you with. Good luck out there, and congratulations on enlisting!

AZSkegee

JOKER, Im someone thats been there and know what your about to face, I will only give you my navy email after you email me here skegeeAir01@aol.com, I know how to make you competitive

JLockheed

Wanderer
Good luck, im in a similar cituation but in the air force. Just a heads up, Air traffic rocks (im a controller) but be prepared to commit your self to it for a while. And remember if your a radar controller, all they are, are just dots :)

cricechex

Joker congrats on your decision on the Navy. I will be at RTC in May and am also going in as an E-3, 92 credit hours. Check out the STA program. It is what I am going to shoot for. As for your eyes, it sounds like your sight is far enough out that it will allow you to get eye surgery to correct the problem. Believe it or not, it is better to be far off from perfect than barely outside the requirements. When you are just outside, surgery might end up making it worse. This is what my fiancé told me, along with the doctors at the Eye laser surgery clinic she works at. I also know that you will need a waiver and I believe six months following the surgery before your eyes can be cleared.

AZSkegee, just as Joker needs someone to look to for advice, I am in the same situation. Any information you could provide me would be deeply appreciated.

Cricechex
AME2STA2USNA

Joker853

Thank you all for replying to my topic. It is obvious the only way for me to chase my dream is to get the corrective surgery. I am willing to do this, as long as I have the money anyways lol :)

I'm guessing PRK isn't to cheap, considering it has "financing" options (I check around.) Pilot is my dream, I understand if I'm not good enough for it, but no matter what, I WILL be chasing an officer position

~Jess

cricechex

College is paid for, want to get the hell out of Washington State! and College is paid for, the Seaman to Admiral program, College is paid for, and um...well, college is paid for!

DevilDucksGirl

SNA Wife- Advanced Helos
Originally posted by Fred
I'm curious why you chose to enlist if your dream is to become an officer?

My husband went from the enlisted ranks to a commissioned officer. Not everyone comes in off of the street- or through the Academy or through other programs. There are a lot of officers he works with that were enlisted at one time too!

cierno31

Originally posted by cricechex
Joker congrats on your decision on the Navy. I will be at RTC in May and am also going in as an E-3, 92 credit hours. Check out the STA program. It is what I am going to shoot for. As for your eyes, it sounds like your sight is far enough out that it will allow you to get eye surgery to correct the problem. Believe it or not, it is better to be far off from perfect than barely outside the requirements. When you are just outside, surgery might end up making it worse. This is what my fiancé told me, along with the doctors at the Eye laser surgery clinic she works at. I also know that you will need a waiver and I believe six months following the surgery before your eyes can be cleared.

AZSkegee, just as Joker needs someone to look to for advice, I am in the same situation. Any information you could provide me would be deeply appreciated.

Cricechex
AME2STA2USNA

Joker853

Originally posted by Fred
I'm curious why you chose to enlist if your dream is to become an officer?

Don't have the GPA to go straight to OCS. If I go "mustang," will have a MUCH better chance at it :)

Fred

My husband went from the enlisted ranks to a commissioned officer. Not everyone comes in off of the street- or through the Academy or through other programs. There are a lot of officers he works with that were enlisted at one time too!

Yes, I realize many officers were prior enlisted. It just never made much sense to me to enlist with the sole purpose of wanting to be an officer. STA 21 is so competitive, and someone who already has a college degree is not eligible. They would need to apply directly for OSC.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I enlisted in the Nuclear Power Program for the sole purpose of becoming an officer. Personally, I didn't have any cash to pay for school. At the time, my goal was to be an airline pilot. In my senior year in high school I only applied to one university, Cal Poly, Pamona (Aerospace Engineering) and was accepted. However with no money and parents that made too much (and didn't save enough), I had to do something different to get where I wanted to go. I saw that I could serve my country, get a top education in nuke power, earn some cash for college via the MGIB, and have an opportunity to become an officer and fly for the navy. I ultimately got selected for ECP and made it to flight school in Pensacola, but then determined that I didn't want to be a pilot. Personally, I don't recommend that people enlist with the expectation that they'll have a better shot at becoming an officer than if they simply try for OCS. "If I go 'mustang,' will have a MUCH better chance at it." That simply isn't true. If you don't have the GPA now, you're not going to have the GPA later when you are competing against people that DO have the GPA plus numerous collateral duty and leadership positions under their belts. Competition for only a select few commisioning program slots each year is incredibly keen. Many outstanding sailors go up for these and many apply multiple times before being selected. I think it becomes downright crazy to enlist when you have over half of your undergradute degree requirements already met. It is downright stupid to enlist if you already have your bachelor's degree. There may be some exceptions to that, but none come to mind right now.

Now with all that said, I do sincerely believe that those with prior enlisted service make better officers. I'm not saying that someone should absolutely not enlist to become an officer. However, being an enlisted sailor on a ship is a tough life. It is not for the weak or weary. Those that are simply go away or end up in some kind of trouble that make the Chief's and Divo's job much more difficult. Knowing what I know now, I would take school loans or whatever else I needed to do so I can go to college right off the bat. Think again if you are under the impression that college tuition is free if you enlist. Yes, the Navy is now paying 100% tuition assistance for college courses. College may be paid for, but that doesn't mean it's free.

As for Joker, any place you end up you need to be focused on getting your quals done first. If your quals aren't done, don't even think about applying anywhere. You could have a Ph.D in Astrophysics from MIT. If you don't have your quals, you will be less valuable to your division and command. And that means your Chief and Divo will probably not be very inclined to give you a very good endorsement.

Note: your CO will sign your endorsement and make sure it has the necessary tricky words and magic phrases (there are good and bad), but your immediate chain of command will play a HUGE role on the initial write-up.

Good luck to all who choose this route. It can be long and arduous.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I'm gonna agree with the webmaster on this one. Being a mustang doesn't necessarily improve your chances. We have a YN1 at our command with a master's degree and he listed: NFO/Supply/SWO, and didn't get picked up for OCS. It's a real inexact science, and personally, it may almost be easier to come from civilian, because I've seen some of the dirtbags at OCS and wonder how a recruiter can put these guys in with a good conscience when there are a lot of qualified AD members (who clearly want to make a career out of the Navy) get passed over.

bigmikenjax

I am Active duty right now, and I go to OCS tomorrow! I have been in 8 yrs, I am an AM1(AW), I have been on shore duty and on Sea duty, I have made 4 deployments. Goin to school and being in the Navy is not easy!! I got up at 430am and worked until 5pm started class at 5 and was not finished until 10pm 4 DAYS A WEEK for 2 YRS to finish my BS. And still had to work on my professional career side of the house, quals, wings, cdi,cdqar, etc... I did it and I ll reap the rewards once I graduate from OCS, but it wasn't easy. One sentence that sums it all up....

"How bad do you want it?"

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.