• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just A Piece Of Cake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeeterman

Banned
Carrier landings during daylight hours are relativity easy. That is, after one has done several hundred. Probably could close your eyes and get it aboard.
Click on pictures to view video.

The "Night Landings".. Well that's another story all different... You might as well have your eyes closed. During the Korean war, all ships had "black out". The carrier deck was total darkness. Only the illuminated LSO paddles was visible.. We are now talking disaster about to happen.

Here is a video with at least a outline of the carrier run.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Skeeter,

Those are great videos, and I've watched them before. It still boggles my mind how you can fly around the boat at night. In the night landing, it looked almost as if there was nothing to reference for depth preception.

Soon enough I'll see it from the backseat... Seems nerve wracking.

borinf2d

T-Bone
I have no idea wear the "ball" is, but is that it port side mid ship? I just saw a straight line, so if it is, he was on the money. In the night video

Skeeterman

Banned
borinf2d, On the old straight deck carriers, the LSO (no lights) was port side aft at the fantail. The angled deck carriers, it's midship port side.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Regarding the day trap vid... Why is someone vaccuuming while the guy is trying to land? ;)

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
Skeeterman, I just read your bio and saw that you are a Korean War veteran.

Does anybody know if that makes Skeeterman the most senior person on the forum?

balt

argh
Nice vids. Would this be considered a close call or just par for the course on a wave-off?

- Foggy (attempted) carrier landing.

Status
Not open for further replies.