• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just A Piece Of Cake

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterBates

And this is a reason VRC is on my list for transition...

If only BUPERS can hurry the heck up and make their decision.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
And this is a reason VRC is on my list for transition...

If only BUPERS can hurry the heck up and make their decision.

Obviously flying nights at the boat makes one a better ball flyer yet I had no problems when it went away. I think there are only two of us COD drivers left in the active duty navy who deployed as day/night players. Actually, only one since he's still flying COD's and I'm done for good. I remember coming aboard many a dark night with no ACLS, no AACS, just a good ole internal comedown/talkdown. Makes FCLP's a whole lot easier as well. The COD has so many issues with its lights, instruments, etc, that it just made it that much harder at night. That or I'm just a big pu$$y :D

Skeeterman

Banned
It's disturbing to read some of you refer an aircraft carrier as a "boat".. When did this all start? It is some "aviation" slang?

Being a old Navy man, and with 24 years of active duty. Some seven total years duty on carriers, they were always referred as ships..

Why is it called a "ship"? It is self explanatory. U.S.S, is always applied to a U.S. Navy vessel. These words. "United States Ship" U.S.S.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
It's disturbing to read some of you refer an aircraft carrier as a "boat".. When did this all start? It is some "aviation" slang?

Being a old Navy man, and with 24 years of active duty. Some seven total years duty on carriers, they were always referred as ships..

Why is it called a "ship"? It is self explanatory. U.S.S, is always applied to a U.S. Navy vessel. These words. "United States Ship" U.S.S.

Easy oldtimer........things have changed a bit. As long as I can remember, we have called the carrier, the boat. Probably a slang term like you say.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Easy oldtimer........things have changed a bit.

YOU DAMN KIDS!
old-man.jpg

Brett

Paddles

We call it a Boat to piss off the SWOs. Also a Boat seems a lot less intimidating than a Ship, which is important when trying to land on one at night.

BTW, the night trap was an OK (TMPIC) (HAR) 3 wire on a full moon night. EA-6B. Every now and then, even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

Skeeterman

Banned
Paddles, so a carrier being called a ship intimidates you.. Would that mean, you fell more secure landing on a boat than a ship? During the earlier part of the Korean war, there were many new pilots, fresh out of training..."ninety day wonders'" they were called. When one would speak out of the contexts of military jargon, the CO or Air Boss ( those old WWII fly boys) would give a stern lecture, " learn fast, forget the past."

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Paddles, so a carrier being called a ship intimidates you.. Would that mean, you fell more secure landing on a boat than a ship? During the earlier part of the Korean war, there were many new pilots, fresh out of training..."ninety day wonders'" they were called. When one would speak out of the contexts of military jargon, the CO or Air Boss ( those old WWII fly boys) would give a stern lecture, " learn fast, forget the past."

Skeeter, different days sir. You certainly flew during the legendary days of naval aviation while I would say today's navy is more, touchy feely. We aviators have to get in our jabs when we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.