• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Junk in NATOPS

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Part of the aerodynamics chapter in the 60B revision in 2003 was numbers that were cut and paste from the Bell 206. That was when I realized that not all of the natops is written in blood; some parts are written in crayon.

taxi1

pilot
I remember giving a NATOPS check...

“You have a wheels warning light, what’s the procedure”
“I don’t need to have that memorized, it’s not bold face”
“...and you have 5 minutes of gas left.”

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
That link didn't really work, but anyway...
I had a cable angle error during a maintenance dip at night with low illum. The cable was pegged forward, and this new stupid French dome won't auto raise with the cable out limits. The cable was on the funnel, so not really interested in raising right away anyhow. It was my 1st or 2nd flight as a HAC during my DH tour, and I was flying with an H2P from another squadron and a junior AW at the console. I couldn't control the cable manually inside of the inner ring to allow auto raise (and I'm not too shabby a stick), it kept oscillating back and forth, so I elected to freestream from memory (as we did in HS), and sure enough the cable centered in forward flight, we raised and locked it, and returned to the carrier without further incident.

Postflight inspection showed the funnel contact wore through the Kevlar sheath. Who knows if the dome would've still been there if I waited for the copilot to fumble through the checklist, and read steps I already have memorized, but I wouldn't change what I did.

For those who meet me in person, I'd be more than happy to give FOUO tech details about why I think it's much much harder to manually hover over the cable in the Romeo than it was in the Foxtrot.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did you lead up to that with a fuel leak or something similar? Otherwise that’s a dick move.
Was going to say this. Compound EP Kobiyashi Maru land is fine, as long as there's a reasonable explanation leading up to it, not just helpings of instructor handwavium.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Was going to say this. Compound EP Kobiyashi Maru land is fine, as long as there's a reasonable explanation leading up to it, not just helpings of instructor handwavium.

Meh - if you have 5 min of gas left, you've already decided what you're going to do in the next 60 seconds - fuel leak is an irrelevant matter, in a way. You get out the checklist and read it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The MH-60S hot fueling procedure used to have us going to EMCON as a hold over from the 46, because an HF transmission could ignite fuel. But the 60S didn't have HF.

Maybe that finally explains why the EMCON got added to SuperHawk. I never understood how Bravos could have managed to fuel for 20+ years (and on a SPY ship, no less) and not blow up without going to EMCON and then all of a sudden they couldn't (and Romeos later). My theory was that some HSL former HT IP came back to the fleet and submitted the change in the name of safety because "that's what they did in the -57 in the pits."

The idea that it crept into SuperHawk from the -46 community makes sense. But I still maintain my guess isn't out of this world.

Part of the aerodynamics chapter in the 60B revision in 2003 was numbers that were cut and paste from the Bell 206.

They did change them in SuperHawk, though how valid they are is up for debate.

SteveHolt!!!

pilot
At least in hsc land, there’s an unhealthy obsession with cmis. Both way too many and too much hardcore verbatim snobs. There’s way too little impact on the five basic ep steps, and definitely too little on non-memory checklists. Also writing eps that are just replaced by common sense (dual engine failure, I’m looking at you), which then become verbatim testable.

I’d love a closed book test that was basically “what checklist” are you looking for given indications. Most eps exist somewhere on the spectrum where I’m not going to die immediately, but I should get through the checklist accurately and quickly. Obsession with testable cmis mean a lot of pilots just can’t find checklists quickly and aren’t sure what they’re asking them to do.

This also applies to non ep checklists- I don’t need you to memorize the no apu shutdown checklist, but it’d be nice if you knew it existed and roughly what it was going to have you do.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Meh - if you have 5 min of gas left, you've already decided what you're going to do in the next 60 seconds - fuel leak is an irrelevant matter, in a way. You get out the checklist and read it.

It came across as implying the dude needed to have a non CMI EP memorized, and because he didn’t, he then got ‘obtw, 5 minutes of gas left’

taxi1

pilot
Did you lead up to that with a fuel leak or something similar? Otherwise that’s a dick move.
I think I did (been decades). Probably a bingo profile with worsening WX at the divert and OBTW the wheels warning light lit when you dropped the rollers. Or the deck was fubar’d and you were max conserve, then into the pattern. Or you are the last plane up, you’re operating in a fjord, and the ship is running out of sea room. Etc.
I’d love a closed book test that was basically “what checklist” are you looking for given indications.
That was a core of the drill. Being able to grab the PCL and zip right to the procedure, knowing in advance roughly what it was going to tell you. If the first time you went speed-fishing for that info was during an unrelated emergency...

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I think I did (been decades). Probably a bingo profile with worsening WX at the divert and OBTW the wheels warning light lit when you dropped the rollers. Or the deck was fubar’d and you were max conserve, then into the pattern. Or you are the last plane up, you’re operating in a fjord, and the ship is running out of sea room. Etc.

That was a core of the drill. Being able to grab the PCL and zip right to the procedure, knowing in advance roughly what it was going to tell you. If the first time you went speed-fishing for that info was during an unrelated emergency...

Ok, that makes sense to me, so not a dick move.