• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Juniors/Seniors PLC Program Eliminated

Indeejordan

Will this make it more or less competitive to get into OCC? It could be less because they will be able to spend more money and accept more people or it could be more because more people will be applying to the same classes. What does everyone else think (if it is in fact true that is)?

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Will this make it more or less competitive to get into OCC? It could be less because they will be able to spend more money and accept more people or it could be more because more people will be applying to the same classes. What does everyone else think (if it is in fact true that is)?

I think that if the majority of people don't go from JR to SR, then the attrition rate for PLC is going to be alooooooot higher than it was before

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Two 6 week sessions ruled and I wouldn't trade the extra years on my PEBD for anything...except maybe beer.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

Very good point ... I would much rather be a o-2 +4 than +3 ... as for the OCS expirence, Ill still take the 10.

usmcecho4

pilot
Very good point ... I would much rather be a o-2 +4 than +3 ... as for the OCS expirence, Ill still take the 10.

Agreed, I thoroughly enjoy being an O-2 +6. And as far as OCS experience is concerned with 6 weeks you still have some summer left when you get home. Without Jrs and Srs no one will have the truly unique experience of laying in your rack after your second pickup asking yourself why you decided to go back for more. It always was fun last week of Seniors and walking by the OCC guys and saying something along the lines of "Only 7 more weeks boys." Good times.

I'll believe Jrs and Srs are canceled when I see the MCO and they change the website info http://officer.marines.com/page/Earning-a-Commission-O.jsp. Until then it's still a rumor.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

MotivatorJames

Just got back from Juniors 1st increment yesterday and was told by our Company Commander that PLC Jrs./Srs. has not been eliminated yet, but the issue is being debated upon as we speak. He also spoke of the possibility that a week or 2 may be added to the Srs. course for those candidates like myself who have just completed the Jrs. course. This is the latest from OCS I have heard.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I could agree with that

I heard some scuttlebutt that less than half the people who make it through JR's go back (I think it was like 35%)

In the early 70s, we had over 1,000 for PLC JR and barely over 300 for PLC SR with just over 200 completing it successfully so 35% figure was pretty accurate for that era. Part of "sales" pitch was "try out PLC JR under no obligation" and there were plenty of folks who said they would complete the 6 weeks, but had no intention of returning. During PLC SR, they told they didn't need all of us and folks were either quitting or being shown the door right up to last day.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I did the two six weeks but If this program is eliminated I see the benefits:
1. I think the attrition between Jrs and Srs is fairly high "do I really want to go back to that place again" kind of stuff. Attrition is not a bad thing really, it does help to screen out those that want to be an Officer.
2. Travel costs are now cut in half, you only ship to and from OCS once vice twice-I am sure there is huge savings in this.
3. Training program will be uniform throughout making scheduling and training plans easier in some ways.

I went to OCS as a Freshmen and honestly looking back I was too young I think waiting until the Sophomore year is a good call, sure it is only a year but it does make a difference.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
I could agree with that

I heard some scuttlebutt that less than half the people who make it through JR's go back (I think it was like 35%)

Quite possible. I know two guys who finished Jr's. One dropped out of the program when he got back, the other told me he hasn't trained a day since coming back (which will make Sr's interesting).

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lonewolf02 said:
Just got back from Seniors yesterday.... I think in Echo we graduated around 190, where as India (there was no Kilo Co., just 6 Platoons in I Co.) graduated somewhere around 370 (which is close to what a session of Jrs. will normally put through). So the Jrs. / Srs. program is definitely losing more than its fair share.

Maybe, but remember Jrs has guys there who are both Freshman and Sophomores so 370 Juniors to 190 Seniors in one year does not mean that there were 180 who decided to pursue another profession necessarily. I had a summer off after my Sophomore year before returining to Seniors.

wtweber

Lonewolf02 said:
Just got back from Seniors yesterday.... I think in Echo we graduated around 190, where as India (there was no Kilo Co., just 6 Platoons in I Co.) graduated somewhere around 370 (which is close to what a session of Jrs. will normally put through). So the Jrs. / Srs. program is definitely losing more than its fair share.

India only had about 280 at graduation, we started with a little over 300. The first few days was a mess because they only had 4 platoons. 1 female and 3 male so there were almost 100 people in the platoons. I have no idea what they were thinking when they were planning that out but they had to move some staff from the sr. class to our company to accommodate the massive numbers.