• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Junior in High School, Interested in Career as Fighter Pilot.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
RichardDelk said:
You keep saying that you want to be a "fighter pilot" and not a "pilot." Would you be unhappy flying anything other than an F/A-18? If you get picked up for a Navy pilot slot, it's not specifically for a "fighter pilot" slot. You could just as easily end up flying E2-Cs or helos. This is, of course, not a bad thing at all but something you might want to think about if you're dead set on flying a fighter.

Easy on him, he's 16. That's not even important at this stage.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
RichardDelk said:
As this is said in a lot of other threads, I'm surprised no one has mentioned it in this one.

You keep saying that you want to be a "fighter pilot" and not a "pilot." Would you be unhappy flying anything other than an F/A-18? If you get picked up for a Navy pilot slot, it's not specifically for a "fighter pilot" slot. You could just as easily end up flying E2-Cs or helos. This is, of course, not a bad thing at all but something you might want to think about if you're dead set on flying a fighter. Of course, the only place you can fly a fighter in the first place is in the military, so I guess you'll just have to work really hard for what you want if/when you pick up a pilot slot. Just remember it's all about the "needs of the navy/corps." Good luck though, it certainly sounds like you're much more motivated than most high school students.

I am definitely content with being a pilot of any military (for now) fixed-wing aircraft but less content with being a helo pilot. I have to put one ambition ahead of another and being a fighter pilot is on the top of my list. Followed by President...J/K :)

Matt

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
firefriendly said:
He's on step 3 out of 3,506. It's cool that he wants to be a fighter pilot and its a solid motivating tool to keep him going even while in high school. Why is it unrealistic? Martin if you want to be gauranteed a flight slot it's BDCP and PLC. You may already know this, but with the Academy and ROTC you don't know what platform you will get until you have already incurred at least a 4 year obligation. However, the scholarships are better from the Acad and ROTC.

Again, not familiar with the acronyms. :)

Matt

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Matt Martin said:
I am definitely content with being a pilot of any military (for now) fixed-wing aircraft but less content with being a helo pilot.

Matt

Always the rotor-man gettin' no love!

Matt Martin said:
I am definitely content with being a pilot of any military (for now) fixed-wing aircraft but less content with being a helo pilot. I have to put one ambition ahead of another and being a fighter pilot is on the top of my list. Followed by President...J/K :)

Matt

Everybody wants to be Maverick but I'm glad to hear that you wouldn't mind being Maverick in an E2 or something either. ;)

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Fly Navy said:
Easy on him, he's 16. That's not even important at this stage.

Exactly. When I was 16, I was worried about SATs and if I was gonna get laid after the prom (I didn't), not what I was gonna do for 10 years after college.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
PLC seems promising. Is it just an alternative to OCS that you do before your graduation of college? BDCP also seems promising, if I am indeed guaranteed a flight spot. Do most universities support BDCP? I don't quite understand if it's a program offered by the Navy to anyone or a program offered only at certain colleges.

Matt

snort

Banned
Matt, sit back and take a few days off.

I'm a retired F-14 driver, and I never thought about going Navy until I got out of college. It was a good decision.

(Warning and note to readers: snort has not been able to verify that he is a Naval Aviator)

Matt Martin said:
PLC seems promising. Is it just an alternative to OCS that you do before your graduation of college? BDCP also seems promising, if I am indeed guaranteed a flight spot. Do most universities support BDCP? I don't quite understand if it's a program offered by the Navy to anyone or a program offered only at certain colleges.

Matt

BDCP is a program offered by the Navy, and it doesn't matter which college you go to (as long as it's a 4-year university and not a community college). It's a great program that basically pays you while you are in college. Also, if you are accepted to the program, you are accepted for a certain designator that you choose (i.e. Pilot, NFO, SWO, etc).

Check out the BDCP forum on this site for lots of info, or PM me with specific questions if you have them.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
snort said:
Matt, sit back and take a few days off.

I'm a retired F-14 driver, and I never thought about going Navy until I got out of college. It was a good decision.

What squadrons?

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Thisguy said:
Exactly. When I was 16, I was worried about SATs and if I was gonna get laid after the prom (I didn't), not what I was gonna do for 10 years after college.

exactly... worry about fun stuff like getting laid and doing well academically! You'll eventually find out that in college academics get harder and getting laid gets easier ( unless you go to a few select schools in the nation that make getting laid even more difficult ) .

Thisguy: I sense that your new unhappiness with your china lake assignment can be traced all the way to not getting any on prom night. =)

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
HighDimension said:
Thisguy: I sense that your new unhappiness with your china lake assignment can be traced all the way to not getting any on prom night. =)

Possibly, but I've upped my chances to getting laid on prom night here...if I don't mind going to jail.