• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Junior in High School, Interested in Career as Fighter Pilot.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Matt Martin said:
The main thing my mom is trying to tell me is that a recruiter will basically say anything to get you to join.

That applies mainly to enlisted recruiters struggling to meet quotas. Officer recruiters are dealing with college grads or those pursuing a degree. They know you have other options besides the military to pursue, so they're not going to try to sell you as much. My recruiter would ask me after going over a particular officer program "Does this sound like something you're interested in?" Whereas an enlisted recruiter would be whipping out the ASVAB and handing you a pencil saying "take this right now and we'll get the process started."

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
I went to Marineofficer.com and after submitting my application it said, "Unfortunately you must be 17 years old to enlist in the Marine Corps. Please ask for information again when you turn 17" etc. etc. Don't know where to go from here.

Matt

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Right now you are kind of in between cycles for commissioning programs. You're going to be a senior next year so this summer I would advise applying to the USNA and NROTC (Marine Option if you prefer). Those applications will go up around april - may ( someone could prolly clarify that better) as for OCS and PLC, you will need to wait for college to apply for those from what I understand. So sit tight and get those grades up and good luck, PM me if you have any questions about NROTC!

KBayDog

Matt Martin said:
Don't know where to go from here.

Well, you can start by waiting until you are 17.

Seriously, your enthusiasm is awesome, and I wish you well. However, if you are going to succeed in life (not just the military), you've got to learn to become patient. (I say "learn," because today's "now" generation expects everything to be done yesterday.) You can't stop the clock, but you can fast-forward time, either.

Keep pressing in school, enjoy "Playing Guitar, Hanging out with friends, Working," and continue to set yourself up for success.

Remember that ketchup saying: Good things come to those who wait.

Wingnut

Kill your television
Funny, I was just thinking today about what I'd tell someone of high-school age if they were asking me about this. Basically, it sounds like grades are the biggest thing you need to work on. Think of it like an investment plan, the sooner you start paying in and the more you pay early on, the more likely it is to come through when you go to cash in. Some hard work now will pay big dividends in college and later on. I don't know if the Academy is out of the picture right now, but unless you're already too far behind academically or otherwise not eligible, I'd say to shoot for that. Maybe you don't have the best chance, but it's something to reach for. Beyond that, there's ROTC, as mentioned. Also, start thinking now about what you want to get a degree in. I went back and forth for a couple years and in retrospect was probably somewhat lucky to come through with a Math degree in four years and a good GPA. Math, Physics, and Engineering are the ones they like to see most, from what I hear, but don't lock yourself into something that you don't feel fits you. Finally, I'd recommend that you talk to a recruiter, but if you're intent on flying don't even think of going to an enlisted recruiter. They don't generally know much of anything about officer programs, their focus is filling their own quotas. They will tell you about how it's easy to go from enlisted to officer and how that's actually a better route; they aren't there to help you with your commissioned aspirations, and any help you get from them towards that is largely generosity on their part. If you can sit down and spend some time with an officer recruiter you should be able to come away with what you need to start planning.
By the way, it's good to see someone your age setting goals and thinking ahead, when I TA'd a while back I saw a lot of people who had no idea where they were headed, and they were already in college. But then I didn't decide that wanted to fly Navy until after college either, so I shouldn't speak too loudly :icon_wink

KBayDog

Wingnut said:
They will tell you about how it's easy to go from enlisted to officer and how that's actually a better route; they get paid nothing unless you sign up through them.

Wow. You learn something new each day. :rolleyes:

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
i think he means they don't get incentive pay or something.. i couldn't see the poor guys being starved cuz nobody wants to join up! hahaha

super hornet

Snacks said:
plus you'd never have to do anything crazy like landing an aircraft on a boat. Geez, those guys are dangerous...:D

Thats actually the reason why I wanted to fly either navy or marines

Wingnut

Kill your television
Wow. You learn something new each day.

Uhh, yeah, I was referring to incentive pay. Obviously, they still get whatever base pay is associated with their rate. My apologies to anyone who marched down to their local recruiting station and signed up out of pity.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Matt Martin said:
I went to Marineofficer.com and after submitting my application it said, "Unfortunately you must be 17 years old to enlist in the Marine Corps. Please ask for information again when you turn 17" etc. etc. Don't know where to go from here.

Matt

Yeah didnt even think about that. Chill for a little and try again when you turn 17. But in the mean time, its never too soon to start learning how to do pullups :D

KBayDog

Wingnut said:
Wow. You learn something new each day.

Uhh, yeah, I was referring to incentive pay. Obviously, they still get whatever base pay is associated with their rate. My apologies to anyone who marched down to their local recruiting station and signed up out of pity.

Even still, incentive pay is a set amount, paid monthly, for the duration of the special duty (subject to certain provisions). Recruiters are not given a 'commission' based on signing "X"-number of recruits. They are given a 'mission' (number of recruits they are expected to sign in a certain time period), for sure, but consistently failing to meet 'mission' results in quite a bit more than a loss of incentive pay.

I think we are talking in circles, though, so I'm out.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wingnut said:
Finally, I'd recommend that you talk to a recruiter, but if you're intent on flying don't even think of going to an enlisted recruiter. They don't generally know much of anything about officer programs, their focus is filling their own quotas. They will tell you about how it's easy to go from enlisted to officer and how that's actually a better route; they get paid nothing unless you sign up through them.
Enlisted recruiters are now on a commission only basis? That must suck.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
I'm leaning towards a degree in some kind of engineering as that would give me an alternate career choice if I don't make it as a pilot. What would be some other degree choices as well as some recommended universities (I'm already in community college so it would be for 2 years at a university)? Am I limited to a Math/Engineering degree if I want to be a fighter pilot?

KBayDog

Matt Martin said:
Am I limited to a Math/Engineering degree if I want to be a fighter pilot?

No.

As for your degree choice, Math/Engineering would never hurt, but don't just get an engineering degree because you think it will guarantee you a job if the military doesn't work out.

If you pick an engineering, pick it because you love it and would love to do it for the rest of your working years. There is no sense in pursuing a career that you don't like. You will be miserable, your potential will not be reached, and you will not be an asset to your employer (in other words, you'll be the Initech employee referenced earlier).

If you love what you do, you will find a way to make it work.

As this is said in a lot of other threads, I'm surprised no one has mentioned it in this one.

You keep saying that you want to be a "fighter pilot" and not a "pilot." Would you be unhappy flying anything other than an F/A-18? If you get picked up for a Navy pilot slot, it's not specifically for a "fighter pilot" slot. You could just as easily end up flying E2-Cs or helos. This is, of course, not a bad thing at all but something you might want to think about if you're dead set on flying a fighter. Of course, the only place you can fly a fighter in the first place is in the military, so I guess you'll just have to work really hard for what you want if/when you pick up a pilot slot. Just remember it's all about the "needs of the navy/corps." Good luck though, it certainly sounds like you're much more motivated than most high school students.