• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

June - OCS 183

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimphil

Originally posted by budaploud
no...i haven't heard that. one of my friends just graduated 181 ground...had lower than a 270...i don't think there is any formula to this whole thing to be quite honest.

True, but I believe there are no ground openings available now for 183, so it becomes moot. The number I interpret as a threshold that would "guarantee" (of course there are no guarantees) a ground slot in OCS. In any case, if ground slots do open in 183, it probably be in your best interest to have a very high PFT score.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mongol General: ...Conan, what is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
Mongol General: That is good.

Ghish

There will be all types of PFT scores when you arrive at OCS. I remember a few guys not being able to get a first class Initial PFT. It is in your best intrest to be at a high level as possible. Many people including myself ended up getting a lower PFT at the end of OCS then the beginning. So if you are borderline you need to push yourself to get a buffer. A lot of things happen like injuries that can hinder you at the end of OCS. When I was their (OCC-180) the average PFT was probably around 270+. Maybe even more. You just don't want to be that person who stands our for having a low PFT. Also I have never heard of a formula for ground PFT. Some of my friends who are ground contracts came through with lower than a 270.

-Ghish

kimphil

Originally posted by Ghish
There will be all types of PFT scores when you arrive at OCS. I remember a few guys not being able to get a first class Initial PFT. It is in your best intrest to be at a high level as possible. Many people including myself ended up getting a lower PFT at the end of OCS then the beginning. So if you are borderline you need to push yourself to get a buffer. A lot of things happen like injuries that can hinder you at the end of OCS. When I was their (OCC-180) the average PFT was probably around 270+. Maybe even more. You just don't want to be that person who stands our for having a low PFT. Also I have never heard of a formula for ground PFT. Some of my friends who are ground contracts came through with lower than a 270.

-Ghish
My personal experience is this. I've had my application ready to submit for an air contract in OCC 182. The decision was made not to submit it because my PFT was too low. I've since retaken my PFT and have improved alot (still a bit short of a 1st class PFT). By the end of this month I hope to have a 1st class PFT so there won't be any excuses.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mongol General: ...Conan, what is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
Mongol General: That is good.

davidsin

Originally posted by esday
Anyone know when the board for June OCC meets? It sounds like some of the PLC applicants get to hear well in advance, but you have to wait pretty much until the last month to hear results for OCC boards. Davidsin- how did you do two contracts? My OSO told me you couldn't do that- first of all since they don't have any OCC ground slots open for a while, and since you have to choose one or the other anyway. Did you hear something different?

"Peace on earth to men of goodwill. All others stand by."

My oso submitted two contracts for me back when ground slots opened up. I don't know how, but he did. I even had to sign two contracts and do the oath twice. I'm just waiting for 183 board results.

good luck all

Semper Fi

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
Ground slots opened back up? That's big news. Any other sources for that info? What recruiting district are you in, btw? I'm in Boston, I think that's the 1st district but I'm not sure on that.

"Peace on earth to men of goodwill. All others stand by."

davidsin

yeah they opened up temporarily back in Sept. 02 I think they're closed again. These things fluctuate. I'm in Los Angeles.

I've been told that this time around it is very competative. I guess that's normal when the economy is where it's at and so many qualified people are trying to secure a slot for OCS here in LA. I just assumed it's like this all over, but I might be wrong. 270 is a pretty typical PFT score here.

Semper Fi

hobbs77

What is the expected size of class for upcoming 183?

Thanks

Semper Fi, Do or Die, Gun-ho Gung-ho Gung-ho

topher1235

Waitint to apply for 183, 6/6/7 ASTB, 98 ASVAB,3.04gpa just waiting to do the PFT(i've been running a 296 but not official). Anyone from Southern CA (orange county) on board?

davidsin

I'm in So Cal, but my OSO is in LA. I think LA and OC will be going to Pendleton on the 26th of April for some land nav, M-16, humping, obsticle coarse etc.

I'm waiting to hear board results sometime in April. My official pft this last pool function is 267. I hear only 4 got accepted to OCS #182 from LA out of over 50 Candidates.

-------------------------
"Brothers and allies, my own beautiful dogs from hell! This next wave will be the day's last. Cinch up your balls, men, for one final surpassing effort. The enemy believes us exhausted and anicipates dispatching us to the underworld beneath his onslaught of fresh, rested troops. What he doesn't know is we're alredy there. We crossed the line hours ago."

Dithyrambos

Dolld

So there are no grounds slots open? I'm applying right now for grounds and hopefully will be accepted and will go to OCS this summer in the 183.
What's up then?

davidsin

It's strange...ground slots are filled, but if they want you I believe the rules can be bent. Nothing's concrete it seems...just my $0.02

------------------------------------------
Semper Fi

Dolld

So where do you go to find out if the ground slots are filled? I suppose I could just call my oso. He never mentioned to me when I went in and got the application packed to apply to OCS. It is a waste of time to apply now for the 183 class?
My oso said I was highly qualified but aren't most people that apply to the Marine Officer Program highly qualified?
Well I guess I'll find out on Thurs., I go to take my meps and do a first round PT test. The first of many I believe. I just started trying to get in shape last monday.
Peace out

AllenAzali

I've been reading from previous posts that some of the candidates were told by their OSO that they could get in with an aviation contract, and switch later while attending TBS. My impression was that the transfer from air to ground was alot more accessible than from ground to air, but then again I'd recommend you ask someone in TBS or someone already "in the Corps". I can totally relate to you on the PT thing, I'm supposed to send in my package for 183 but it looks like I might get rolled back, because of my lazy ass. Anyways good luck.

Signed, Matt

Dolld

I would like any advice on the application process if anyone has any. I'm filling out the rough application packet right now and wondering if I should get as many references as possible. Any other things taht I should know. I sure hope that I can get accpeted into the 183 Class for Grounds. I'm suppose to get my whole application done by the end of the month. What is a good score to have for the PT when I send it in?
Thanks alot.

jabravo2003

From my OSO, to get accepted to OCS you must now score a minimum of 255 on the PFT, up from 225 from previous months. On another note, looks like I will be attending OCC 183(PLC Combined) this summer.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.