• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

June 2010 Boards

ryan1234

Ryan 1234

I have PADI OW to, I have to ask whats the deal with the potatoe gun?... i gotta know :p

Well...about 7 years ago some friends and I designed a pretty cool potato gun on an AutoCAD program... we built it, went out to a large, dry lake bed to test fire it... turns out the dry lake bed was private property - there happened to be some county mounties patrolling the area looking for some dirt-bikers or something... so they found us instead and arrested us. I thought it wasn't really a big deal - until the cops said that a potato gun was an illegal weapon, told us that using hairspray as a combustion fuel was a federal offense, and asked us if we were training terrorists, etc, etc - the incident was a felony (armed trespass), but they were "nice" and dropped it to trespass other than a structure. The charges eventually were dropped completely and everyone got a good laugh, including the cops at the jail. Well.... FDLE mis-filed it as a felony (I had the court documents saying otherwise) - so I had to write a WTF letter to FDLE (just found out during the recruiting process) and they were actually very nice and understanding and changed it right away, and sent an apology letter, etc.

nate_j52

Well...about 7 years ago some friends and I designed a pretty cool potato gun on an AutoCAD program... we built it, went out to a large, dry lake bed to test fire it... turns out the dry lake bed was private property - there happened to be some county mounties patrolling the area looking for some dirt-bikers or something... so they found us instead and arrested us. I thought it wasn't really a big deal - until the cops said that a potato gun was an illegal weapon, told us that using hairspray as a combustion fuel was a federal offense, and asked us if we were training terrorists, etc, etc - the incident was a felony (armed trespass), but they were "nice" and dropped it to trespass other than a structure. The charges eventually were dropped completely and everyone got a good laugh, including the cops at the jail. Well.... FDLE mis-filed it as a felony (I had the court documents saying otherwise) - so I had to write a WTF letter to FDLE (just found out during the recruiting process) and they were actually very nice and understanding and changed it right away, and sent an apology letter, etc.

Thats crazy, must have been a bad ass potato gun to scare them that much, although i havent seen many potato guns fielded in combat zones :))

ryan1234

I don't know about you guys... but the waiting game has been a little easier by applying to Air National Guard units for pilot slots. They say any good aviator always has an out when planning. My first choice is far and away active duty Navy, but I'm tryin to keep as many options as possible on the table... just in case.

For those of you who don't know.. the ANG units hold hiring boards (generally every year) to send a guy or two(off the street in most cases) to AF Undergraduate Pilot Training. The application process is sorta is the same as the Navy - with a slightly different twist - if the unit happens to like you they'll ask you to interview... and you'll go out an party with the squadron that night... then if they really like you, they'll send you to UPT, etc. Each unit has a particular airframe, so you basically pick the unit and airframe you want to apply for... the fighter guys get on average about 130-150 apps for 1 or 2 positions, and heavy units get a little less applications. The overall process is more of a courtship than anything... and it's good because you can see who you'll be flying with for your commitment and possible further. Unlike the Navy process... prior flight time is weighed more heavily as well as prior military service... but no one holds your hand through the application process.. you are 100% on your own. A 'recruiter' e-mails you what's required for the packet.. you get it together, and if you're more aggressive, you'll call to arrange a visit to that unit before their board meets.

From the guys I've talked to... Navy and AF ... getting in sometimes just comes down to timing... so some of you guys looking to fly and serve may consider applying to a couple ANG units also.

By sheer luck, one particular unit has informally offered me an interview... at the end of this month...

All in all having other opportunities to serve may take the edge of getting rejected (should that happen)

nate_j52

Did you guys know about this facebook page? PERS-43... doesnt look like they update it too often but good intel none the less. Apparently this is the personnel dept that deal with aviation boards for advancement orders etc. From what ive been reading they are actively looking to decrease the amount of aviators in the pipeline up to the June boards. Looks like the bupers people are using facebook to ask and answer questions throughout the organization....

Go on tell me how kick ass this is...

Chachi

pilot
Contributor
Hey guys,

How do you upload a file? I want to upload the stats that some of you have been asking for...

I just opened the file and I don't know how to interpret it...

marmoset54

Final Select Supply Corps
I'm all one for official documents, but I think you could just type it in.

AND...that would be really gnarly.

jlil41

I don't know about you guys... but the waiting game has been a little easier by applying to Air National Guard units for pilot slots. They say any good aviator always has an out when planning. My first choice is far and away active duty Navy, but I'm tryin to keep as many options as possible on the table... just in case.

For those of you who don't know.. the ANG units hold hiring boards (generally every year) to send a guy or two(off the street in most cases) to AF Undergraduate Pilot Training. The application process is sorta is the same as the Navy - with a slightly different twist - if the unit happens to like you they'll ask you to interview... and you'll go out an party with the squadron that night... then if they really like you, they'll send you to UPT, etc. Each unit has a particular airframe, so you basically pick the unit and airframe you want to apply for... the fighter guys get on average about 130-150 apps for 1 or 2 positions, and heavy units get a little less applications. The overall process is more of a courtship than anything... and it's good because you can see who you'll be flying with for your commitment and possible further. Unlike the Navy process... prior flight time is weighed more heavily as well as prior military service... but no one holds your hand through the application process.. you are 100% on your own. A 'recruiter' e-mails you what's required for the packet.. you get it together, and if you're more aggressive, you'll call to arrange a visit to that unit before their board meets.

From the guys I've talked to... Navy and AF ... getting in sometimes just comes down to timing... so some of you guys looking to fly and serve may consider applying to a couple ANG units also.

By sheer luck, one particular unit has informally offered me an interview... at the end of this month...

All in all having other opportunities to serve may take the edge of getting rejected (should that happen)

Ryan,

I know a Col. in the ANG and I have been in contact with him for a while. Do you have any contact info with someone in the ANG dealing with aviation? If so could you PM me or I could give you my email and send me the info? I just want to find out more about the AV side and talk with someone. Thanks man.

kitemen

Hello overlord243,
Sorry for the late response. Apparently all you need is a letter from your private optometrist showing that you passed one of the 3 accepted depth perception test. Make sure you have the letter in time after your selection. There is a very tight deadline for you to get all the medical paperwork before final select, or else they will disregard you selection.

I also bring good news, my package was reviewed by the board, and I was re-selected for SNA. I am back in the waiting game !!

Don’t feel bad about calling “annoying” your recruiter. Remember, that’s their job!!

Ps: this was my reconsideration letter.

May 22, 2010

Reconsideration Statement

To Whom It May Concern:

I was selected to become a Student of Naval Aviation (SNA) by the March board in 2010. My determination to become a Naval Officer has never wavered. I have been working closely with my Navy recruiter since the start of my application, back in July of 2009. Prior to my application, I was recommended by my recruiter to visit a private eye doctor to make sure I was qualified to become a SNA.

I did a full eye exam before I started studying for the ASTB. I satisfied all the requirements. However, at MEPS, I passed the depth perception test with corrected vision only. I was required by my recruiter to get a statement from my eye doctor to prove I was physically qualified. For reasons beyond my control, the letter from my doctor did not arrive on time for consideration.
I want to make it clear, that I have the physical, mental, and emotional ability to learn the skills to become an exceptional Naval Officer. I would like the honor to be reconsidered for the position.

Sincerely,
KITEMEN

aukonak

That's interesting...almost the exact same thing happened to met at MEPS. I didn't find out until mid-October after my package had been sent off for a Jan. ship date with the Marines. Someone in my office had missed it. I had another full physical and passed with flying colors, but my paperwork got stuck in the system somewhere and never made it through in time.

Overlord243

Final-Select SNA 20 Feb 2011 OCS Date
Thanks for the info Kitemen. I called up a local Lenscrafters to see what they could offer for depth perception test. Apparently all they offer is a "stereo" test for $50. Do you know the three accepted tests? I'll be sure to get on the horn with my recruiter to get more info as well.

Thanks again.

nate_j52

What is gonna be the first class up date for OCS in July? Because if i have a hope in hell of getting the prior SNA age waiver for priors im gonna have to go soon. And even then i would be turning 29 within weeks of commissioning.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
What is gonna be the first class up date for OCS in July? Because if i have a hope in hell of getting the prior SNA age waiver for priors im gonna have to go soon. And even then i would be turning 29 within weeks of commissioning.

I am in the same boat as you. However, I am hoping to be selected and going to OCS in Jan '11. I doubt that will happen now that I have been told I am in the July boards but according to the fleet processor the NA boards have been put on hold for July and Aug. I turn 29 in late Feb and was told it shouldn't be that difficult to get a little extra waiver time. So I hope that encourages you a little.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

From what I've heard and read, if you get selected from June forward, you won't be going to OCS until the new fiscal year in October due to them trying to cut down on SNAs in the pipeline. So, if I understand correctly, that means that all the guys classing up in July have already been selected months ago.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know when we're supposed to hear back from the selection board?

Sounds like there's some stiff competition for the June boards. Here's my info for those interested:

BS in Mechanical Engineering from VMI
GPA of 2.605
Certified EIT
ASTB scores of 6/7/7 59
3 LORs from our school's Sergeant Major, a former Army O-5 and family friend, and one of my professors.
A whole host of extracurricular activities too long to list.

Good luck everybody.

nate_j52

I dont think i am gonna get SNA, i will turn 29 in october, and theres no way ill get my commission before then. So im guessing hopefully ill get NFO and SWO. Think im gonna take SWO and then start bugging to go to OCS in September. Ticks me off, if it wasnt for my recruiting district i would have been in time and had a descent shot at SNA.