• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

July Boards 2010

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
Bah, give it two months.
I wouldn't be so sure. NROTC grads are scheduled to be placed in the IRR instead of active duty if their designators are SNA or SNFO for FY 2011 (meaning it starts this Dec class). It's not just the dec class, they're saying the same for the May 2011 class. I bet the Navy wants them active before they start freeing up OCS slots. The Navy bought their educations.

Good luck to those applying, and sorry things are the way they are.

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
Maybe. All depends on backlog. I turn 27 in October, I'm pretty much not going to have time to go aviation, which is fine. I want to be a naval officer. And I am eager to go SWO.

GreenLantern330

I wouldn't be so sure. NROTC grads are scheduled to be placed in the IRR instead of active duty if their designators are SNA or SNFO for FY 2011 (meaning it starts this Dec class). It's not just the dec class, they're saying the same for the May 2011 class. I bet the Navy wants them active before they start freeing up OCS slots. The Navy bought their educations.

Good luck to those applying, and sorry things are the way they are.

What exactly is IRR?

CenixOne

SNA FS, DA
Contributor
...and bad news people. Word just came down unambiguously. NFO/SNA boards are gone for the rest of the year. SWO only.

Sorry guys. I know this is going to hurt.

And word came down from whom? How accurate is this? Seems like speculation to me..

fjd24

Flight time is good time...
pilot
And word came down from whom? How accurate is this? Seems like speculation to me..

Agreed. I don't post much on this site, However observe and observe often. That being said, I do not see the point in discussing something until it is confirmed at every NRD across the country. Myself, along with many others seems to be in the dark about the cancellations of boards; While others are insisting it's true. Spoke with my recruiter before the weekend and I have heard nothing about this. I am also a July applicant.

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
This comes from three sources that I personally know about. My OR, my NRD CO, and a member of the RDML's staff at Navy Recruiting Command (was an NRD CO two weeks ago). I'm fairly certain this is more than just scuttlebutt at this point. The former CO and I are in a completely independent mode of communication than my NRD chain of command. I was not told there "might not be boards," I was told, "There will be no more boards, so let's take SNA and NFO off your package."

IRR is Inactive Ready Reserve.

EM1

IRR= INDIVIDUAL ready reserve.
It's basically a non-pay recall status. You're still "owned" by the military, and they can recall you to active duty, but you're not getting paid and not drilling.

GreenLantern330

IRR= INDIVIDUAL ready reserve.
It's basically a non-pay recall status. You're still "owned" by the military, and they can recall you to active duty, but you're not getting paid and not drilling.

Well, that sounds like crap, but thanks for the info. I tried looking it up on google but both Inactive and Individual came up, so I wasn't sure which it was.

EM1

If you read enlistment contracts carefully, all of them are for 8 years: it's some combination between active/active reserve/IRR time. The military will use this to bolster numbers of qualified individuals when needed quickly in times of war, until they have the funding and authorization to train more up to the military size they need.

They actually used this only a few years ago. People were whining it was a "back door draft" and they didnt sign for this, their contracts were up, yada yada. Apparently they didnt read their contracts.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
If you read enlistment contracts carefully, all of them are for 8 years: it's some combination between active/active reserve/IRR time. The military will use this to bolster numbers of qualified individuals when needed quickly in times of war, until they have the funding and authorization to train more up to the military size they need.

They actually used this only a few years ago. People were whining it was a "back door draft" and they didnt sign for this, their contracts were up, yada yada. Apparently they didnt read their contracts.

This isn't what people were "whining" about. The "whining" that was done was related to the Stop-Loss that was occurring. Under stop loss, even if your 8 year contract (or longer if you re-upped) was complete, the military was still holding people in the service. THAT is what the back door draft is/was. I was deployed with plenty of people who were 1. Called out of the IRR and then made to stay in Iraq well past their 8 year obligation. One of my friends was there 10 months past his 8 month date.

That, as what the "whining" was about.

EM1

I was hearing it from the other end, those still within the eight years. Politicians also called within the 8 the "back door".

The beyond the 8 stuff was......I dont have words for it.

edit:I do have words for it, it's just not something I can post publically.

rhinoh82

Spoke with my recruiter today, she confirmed that there appears to be some truth to the cancellation rumors. She said she knows for a fact that the NFO boards have been canceled and it appears that Pilot boards may be put on hold as well. I did not get the same doom and gloom "next calendar year" response though. I got the impression that September appears to be the target month for boards to resume. She was going to get concrete word and get back with me. So more to follow. Standing by to stand by.............

CenixOne

SNA FS, DA
Contributor
This comes from three sources that I personally know about. My OR, my NRD CO, and a member of the RDML's staff at Navy Recruiting Command (was an NRD CO two weeks ago). I'm fairly certain this is more than just scuttlebutt at this point. The former CO and I are in a completely independent mode of communication than my NRD chain of command. I was not told there "might not be boards," I was told, "There will be no more boards, so let's take SNA and NFO off your package."

IRR is Inactive Ready Reserve.

Well if thats truly the case, that sucks. But based on prior cases here on AW, it typically tends to be more of a hearsay situation (not saying it is for sure, just my observation). I guess only time will tell for sure.