• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

July Boards 2010

Lucy

If you want to be in for September your packet has to be in TN no later than the 24th of August, and there is speculation that the deadline will be moved to the 16th of every month. Just fyi.

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
Daniel: Would you mind PMing me some more information about your OR?

Not name, of course, but NRD, rank, and as verbatim as you can remember some of the things you were told, especially if they served to demoralise you, or otherwise be unprofessional.

My first experience with a recruiter was horrible, and I languished for months until I finally put my foot down and asked for another. I even had to get an NRD CO (from an entirely different NRD) involved. I was polite, respectful, and not a "tattle-taler" of any sort, but I was also firm that I either be taken seriously or that I be told specifically I wasn't wanted.

I got my new OR. My new OR is awesome. We got more done in three months than I had been able to get done with my previous OR in a year. Since I basically had to restart the process with my new OR and redo a lot of initial paperwork, that says something.

With the support of two O-5s, one of them at Navy Recruiting Command, I am putting together anecdotes of less than stellar behavior by officer recruiters. There are people interested in what is happening on the "deckplates" so to speak of the officer recruiting experience. Your experiences are not unique, and that has some people concerned.

pbrooks4

22/M/Non-prior

Suppo/SWO/Intel

OAR: 54 5/5/5

Psychology Major 3.41, Chemistry Minor 3.88

LOR's:
1 0-6, 3 0-5’s, 1 0-4, family friend, and my research advisor

PRT: 88s-u/88p-u/8:13 run

Chemistry Publication (Journal of Biochemistry)
Tutor At risk youth
Volunteer at local hospital

Fellowships:
Howard Hughes Biotechnology Scholars
Michigan State University Ronald E. McNair Scholars (Twice)
Society of Toxicology Student Scientist Award

Football, Basketball, and track in High School and 1 year of college football

Seafort

I've just been told my package is either being reviewed right now or will be reviewed shortly. I think I'm the only person on AW up for SWO/IP though, so I don't know who else will benefit from knowing that I guess the board is happening right now...

Goosed

You shouldn't have to wait 6 months as the aviation boards meet every month. I was non-select in April boards and am reapplying in August (only a 4 mo. difference). Good time to apply though. My recruiter says SWO and NFO have hit their quota for the year, but SNA is right on track with 25% quota remaining for the last quarter (July, August and September). Your scores meet the average select and your LOR's look great. Best of luck. Maybe I'll be seeing you in OCS (fingers crossed!).

Lucy

Anyone heard updates on when boards are meeting? Sometime this week I would think but cool if anyone actually heard.

Seafort

My OR just confirmed I was indeed seen last week, he expects results for me this coming week. Of course, I don't know about everyone else's board.

WEGL12

VT-28
Lucy
21/F
BDCP INTEL
ASTB 56 5/5/5- Oh the wonderfulness of math…:-/
I should be in for the July board.

School
Graduating in August 2012
B.A. in International Studies w/ European Focus, Social Sciences (focus in History and Geography), and Liberal Sciences
Overall a 3.35. (If I can get my winter/spring transcripts in time, then it’ll be a 3.45, and a 3.7 at my current university)
Study Abroad in France Wtr/Sp term 2010
Took college classes (running start) in high school

Volunteer/Extracurricular
Americorp Student-In-Service 900 hour participant- 2/3 completed so far (since Dec 08)
Writing tutor
Volunteer intern at my former community college where I established a study abroad department
Participated in Washington Business Week while in high school for both available years. Selected speaker for first year. Awarded scholarship for the second.
Phi Theta Kappa at my community college(academic and service society)

Awards/Honors
Award president’s Gold Award for service for 2009.
Gilman International Scholarship Recipient for Study Abroad
PEMCO scholarship from Advanced year of Washington business week (runner-up first year)
Jack Kent Cooke Transfer Scholarship nominee
Paper on morality up for award from my CC

Work
National Park Service with minor security check (7 yr) and a GS 3.3 rating
Work-study student at NPS and writing center summer
Target sales associate
Sears cashier/commission sales- (two promotions)

7 LOR's including O-3 USNR Intel and a GS 9

OR is setting up at least one O-5/O-6 Intel interview

Sorry this is rather long. Glad to share other info if others want to know/better idea of who is applying if I am get accepted.

Lucy
Best of Luck to everyone!

Lucy,
Have you already transferred to a university or are you applying straight from a community college? If you’re applying straight from CC, Phi Theta Kappa is a big plus according to my recruiter. I am a member of Phi Theta Kappa also and the scholarships available are worth looking into if you already haven’t. Good luck with the results of this month’s boards!

Lucy

I transferred last summer but was in Phi Theta Kappa for my sophmore year. I did look into the scholarships but didn't recieve notice of my membership(missed the first mailing?) until after most of the deadlines in Jan of '09. I have been at my university since last summer, but spent winter/spring term abroad so I only had 5 classes at my four year on record. However, if another submit is needed I will now have 20 or so classes with a GPA increase to 3.48 overall and 3.79 at my university so I should qualify for the honor society again and hopefully show a continued upswing in academics.
Thanks for the luck!