• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jonny Kim solos the T-6

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Interesting, I wonder if he would get winged out of his training. Always been curious what if any wings non-aviator/NFO Navy astronauts receive, if any. The USAF and Army just have standard astronaut wings for all their (officer) astronauts while the Navy is the only one that gives different wings to pilots and FO's. Strangely enough at least according to the internets the Coasties award their astronauts (they've had two) NFO Astronaut wings, even if they are pilots.
I have second-hand that he's going to head to Whiting after he's done in Corpus and he'll wing out of one of the HTs.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting, I wonder if he would get winged out of his training. Always been curious what if any wings non-aviator/NFO Navy astronauts receive, if any. The USAF and Army just have standard astronaut wings for all their (officer) astronauts while the Navy is the only one that gives different wings to pilots and FO's. Strangely enough at least according to the internets the Coasties award their astronauts (they've had two) NFO Astronaut wings, even if they are pilots.
I vaguely remember seeing a CNATRA syllabus pub for non-13XX astronauts or astronaut candidates back when I was a stash, so I’m sure it’s around somewhere.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Non-pilot Navy astronauts get NFO Astronaut wings once they've flown, but a lot of them continue to wear their "Fleet" warfare device on their flight suit name tags and on the rare occasions they're in uniform. View attachment 35621Kayla Barron just came back from ISS last month; remains to be seen if she still wears her Dolphins.

Huh, learn something new every day. Nice watch too.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
If a naval aviator goes up in the shuttle as a crew member but doesn’t get to pilot it, does he or she receive NFO astronaut wings too? Asking for a friend.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Non-pilot Navy astronauts get NFO Astronaut wings once they've flown, but a lot of them continue to wear their "Fleet" warfare device on their flight suit name tags and on the rare occasions they're in uniform.
Well, it makes sense. If they're in an aeronautically-focused job in space that doesn't involve direct manipulation of the spacecraft controls . . . they arguably really are an astronaut NFO. And who's going to tell a SEAL that they have to wear their Budweiser in the secondary position? Not this guy.
Kayla Barron just came back from ISS last month; remains to be seen if she still wears her Dolphins.
Why the hell would she not? She's a pioneer in that community and should be proud of it.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, it makes sense. If they're in an aeronautically-focused job in space that doesn't involve direct manipulation of the spacecraft controls . . . they arguably really are an astronaut NFO. And who's going to tell a SEAL that they have to wear their Budweiser in the secondary position? Not this guy.

His designator may not have changed, it doesn't for aviators.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
This fellow, Drew Morgan, is one of only two Army types to have army astronaut wings (attached to his flight surgeon wings). He also has a pretty impressive military resume with a ranger tab, combat medic badge, combat swimmer, HALO badge and UK parachute wings. Oh, and in his down time he went to medical school!

9E47A3CD-4068-4357-846B-BA48F2D1FB93.jpeg

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...the Army puts way too much stuff on uniforms.
uniform1.jpg
Met this guy a week or so ago. Most recently a Reserve JAG Officer. Yes, that is a Ranger tab. Can't make out the other shoulder tab. I met him in a flight suit. Had me scratching my head. There is a story, but it still makes me wonder.