• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Job at Quantico prior to TBS?

Carno

Insane
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone had ever worked in Quantico as a newly minted 2nd Lt. several months before TBS? My girlfriend lives in DC, so I would really like to try and get a job in Quantico in January to be with her. I commission in December, but I don't know my TBS class date yet.

Is this a dumb idea? If it's even possible for me to go there several months earlier, am I going to get stuck doing **** jobs or put on working parties or something? To be honest, I really wouldn't even mind that because I would be near my girl, after four months of being apart due to school.

I know I should talk to my OSO, but I just had this thought and I can't talk to my OSO until Monday.

Any information would be much appreciated.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
There is a chance that they won't LET you check in early to do working parties and what not...then they would have to pay you. It is fairly dependant on your timing. Talk to your OSO, maybe he can hook you up...

usmcecho4

pilot
Friend of mine got a PTAD job at the Pentagon before he went to TBS (pretty sure he knew someone). From what I understand you basically just call up a unit you want to do PTAD with and ask if they have anything for you to do. As for checking in early to TBS, don't think that's too likely as BOQ space is in short supply. I do recommend living at your girlfriend's house while at TBS though, it makes life SO much better and the commute is no problem.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

GMan1976

Banned
Friend of mine got a PTAD job at the Pentagon before he went to TBS (pretty sure he knew someone). From what I understand you basically just call up a unit you want to do PTAD with and ask if they have anything for you to do. As for checking in early to TBS, don't think that's too likely as BOQ space is in short supply. I do recommend living at your girlfriend's house while at TBS though, it makes life SO much better and the commute is no problem.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

that's pretty much what I did as a new Ensign. I just called up the shop at the Pgon that i was interested in and asked if I could stash there no-cost TAD for a few months. They said sure and my ROTC unit cut me orders. I worked 4 hr days, 3 days a week, and took 2 hrs for PT each day!

Carno

Insane
Sorry, I didn't mean to say I wanted to check in early to TBS, just that I wanted to try and get a job with the Marines prior to TBS.

I do plan on living with my girlfriend if I go up there prior to TBS, and maybe during TBS. I doubt I will live with her during TBS though, because she works for the University of Maryland, which is on the opposite side of DC that Quantico is on.

The Pentagon sounds quite intriguing also. Let me get this straight though, PTAD = 60 days of duty directly before going to TBS?

Also, what is no-cost TAD? You didn't get paid?

hisairness

TBS won't let you check into Mike Co. early, you need a reason to be in it, i.e. injury sustained while in TBS or you got into trouble while in TBS. You can try the MASE if you don't mind going home beat down in the name of hand to hand combat. But it helps discipline you in prep for TBS. I would say enjoy your time at home and stay in really good shape. TBS is alot more physical than it was in the past. Most of all enjoy your freedom, you'll be giving up alot of your weekends at TBS. Don't make the mistake of thinking TBS is a good time for you and your GF to hang out cause you'll be in classes and training all day. Then in the field for even longer. My girlfriend was in DC also while I attended TBS and I was able to see her on weekends, but time was limited. Enjoy the freedom before TBS starts!!!

Carno

Insane
Sorry, I didn't mean check in early to TBS, just to try and get a job in Quantico until I have to check in for TBS.

Thanks for the replies so far.

hisairness

Don't try to drive from your girlfriend's in DC to Quantico during the week. I repeat "Don't try to drive from your girlfriend's in DC to Quantico during the week!" You'll definitely miss On deck Time often and if something happened to you on your way to TBS from there, your staff will cream you for lack of judgement. And it was a rule for us that unless your married your staying in the BOQ during the week.

usmcecho4

pilot
Don't try to drive from your girlfriend's in DC to Quantico during the week. I repeat "Don't try to drive from your girlfriend's in DC to Quantico during the week!" You'll definitely miss On deck Time often and if something happened to you on your way to TBS from there, your staff will cream you for lack of judgement. And it was a rule for us that unless your married your staying in the BOQ during the week.

Couldn't disagree more. 5 months and never missed an ondeck time (it's called time management :)). 37 min commute from Gtown to Qtown. There's a reason overnight liberty limit is 80 miles. Use it. If you do for some reason run late just suck it up and call your fireteam leader, squad leader, etc.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

GMan1976

Banned
The Pentagon sounds quite intriguing also. Let me get this straight though, PTAD = 60 days of duty directly before going to TBS?

Also, what is no-cost TAD? You didn't get paid?

No cost TAD means that the military doesn't pay you to relocate or per diem or anything extra above whatever your base pay is. You will still earn BAH (housing allowance), but only for the area in which you are currently "stationed". For instance, if you went No Cost TAD to DC but your current duty station is University of Colorado NROTC unit, then you would get paid BAH rates for Boulder even while you're in DC. Also, the military won't pay to fly you out or move your stuff or whatever.

Carno

Insane
Hmmm, so what happens if I'm just a PLC guy? No BAH?

****, I'd be more than happy with no cost TAD, so long as I got my base pay.

GMan1976

Banned
Hmmm, so what happens if I'm just a PLC guy? No BAH?

****, I'd be more than happy with no cost TAD, so long as I got my base pay.

I don't know enought about the USMC PLC thing (I'm USN, so most of this is from personal experience). but yes, you would get paid Base....

hisairness

All I'm saying is this, It's not worth the risk to go to DC during the week. I know from personal experience. That overnight liberty limit is used for special cases, visits to GFs isn't one.

usmcecho4

pilot
Sounds like the fun never stopped in your company. Yuck. The self-hazing is continuous.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4