• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jets vs Helos

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Even the super hornet is right on the boundary between turbojet and turbofan, IIRC.

[nerdalert]

It's a turbofan (GE F414). About 40% of the intake air bypasses the HP compressor and hot section, vs. a pure turbojet like the T-39 (TF39) or the A-6/EA-6B (J52) where nearly all the intake air goes through the combustor (minus a little for bleeds and engine cooling).

?

[/nerdalert]

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
or the A-6/EA-6B (J52) where nearly all the intake air goes through the combustor (minus a little for bleeds and engine cooling).

?

[/nerdalert]

My VAQ people say the intake air was too intense for the turbines, who went running along to have a party with their friends in the other engine......after saying hi to their hyd circuit friends and fire light friends, and saying bye to their 4 ejection seat friends

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My VAQ people say the intake air was too intense for the turbines, who went running along to have a party with their friends in the other engine......after saying hi to their hyd circuit friends and fire light friends, and saying bye to their 4 ejection seat friends

My XO to the P&W guy handing out beer mugs at their Hook booth years ago, "Is this going to shatter like one of your engines?".

PMPT

Does anyone know, or have any statistics, on the amount of jets spots there are vs helicopters once it's time to pick your specific airframe? Is it mostly helicopter spots with a few jets, or is it usually split down the middle? I know most people probably want fighters in the beginning, but I'm just trying to see how likely it is that someone would get a fighter vs a helicopter.
just do your best and pray. luck plays a role but you can minimize the size of that role by being as highly-ranked as you can be, thus meaning you're more likely to get what you want.