• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jets vs Helos

jakperlow

Does anyone know, or have any statistics, on the amount of jets spots there are vs helicopters once it's time to pick your specific airframe? Is it mostly helicopter spots with a few jets, or is it usually split down the middle? I know most people probably want fighters in the beginning, but I'm just trying to see how likely it is that someone would get a fighter vs a helicopter.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Does anyone know, or have any statistics, on the amount of jets spots there are vs helicopters once it's time to pick your specific airframe? Is it mostly helicopter spots with a few jets, or is it usually split down the middle? I know most people probably want fighters in the beginning, but I'm just trying to see how likely it is that someone would get a fighter vs a helicopter.

42%

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Totally depends on the week you select. There is no way to forecast what those numbers will be, or at least not in the way that it would affect you at selection time. Sometimes there will be zero spots for a certain airframe, sometimes a lot. The only for sure advice I can give is be #1 and you have a really good chance of getting what you want.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
The only for sure advice I can give is be #1 and you have a really good chance of getting what you want.

For #1 it is notably more painful to not getting what s/he wants for absolutely uncontrollable reasons, such as "Navy needs". Really, what in general would be an advise in such case? Hold your integrity and grow where you're planted?

Look, Lt Wes Van Dorn didn't want to be an aviator, he wanted SEALs instead but failed Hell Week, and being diverted to aviation when it came to selection he choose Sea Dragons as "most family-friendly community with rare and short deployments". He was about #1 in SEALs training but it didn't help, and seeing naval aviation as surely second best he seemingly didn't think he has to be #1 in aviation training pipeline: "family first" position is not career reinforcement. It is interesting whether he viewed SEALs as "family friendly" (if so, strange enough), but somehow #1 intention seems to be good in the black-and-white world only, isn't it?

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
@Max the Mad Russian , the point is, earning that #1 spot gives the SNA their best chance of selecting what they want. It's the closest thing to a variable they can control- performing as well as you can in Primary vs. just doing enough to pass. Whether or not the service has slots for their favorite platform that week is completely unknowable until selection day. The pain you allude to stings no matter what.

Which is why all of us say stay open minded, and bloom where you're planted. Nobody enjoys working with bitter people.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
the point is, #1 gives the SNA their best chance of selecting what they want
No objections and thanks for explanations. Just like in sport - I was the center (fifth) in college basketball team, I know how it works. The broader context is what you do and, most important, what you have to do if, despite you're #1, you don't reach your goal?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For #1 it is notably more painful to not getting what s/he wants for absolutely uncontrollable reasons, such as "Navy needs". Really, what in general would be an advise in such case? Hold your integrity and grow where you're planted?

Look, Lt Wes Van Dorn didn't want to be an aviator, he wanted SEALs instead but failed Hell Week, and being diverted to aviation when it came to selection he choose Sea Dragons as "most family-friendly community with rare and short deployments". He was about #1 in SEALs training but it didn't help, and seeing naval aviation as surely second best he seemingly didn't think he has to be #1 in aviation training pipeline: "family first" position is not career reinforcement. It is interesting whether he viewed SEALs as "family friendly" (if so, strange enough), but somehow #1 intention seems to be good in the black-and-white world only, isn't it?
Maybe take a knee on this one, Max. Just a smidge outside your swim lane.