• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jets v Helos

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
That sounds fishy. How do you just switch, especially after "thousands of hours?" Did he go through the HTs as an 04? I could be wrong but that would be the first I've ever heard of a transition such as that.

He mentioned 1600 or 1200 hours in fixed wing. less than 2000 but more than 1000.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This happened in the 70s and early 80s often as VMO and HMLA merged and inter-mixed. Huey/Cobra guys flew OV-10s and vice versa.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
He finally came to the realization he wasn't gay. :D

Maybe....BUT....

After switching to helos he did go for a ride in Blue Angel #3. Thats a one seater. So he sat on the guys lap. Sounds like a violation of don't ask don't tell to me.

And where, might I ask, did the stick go????

:icon_wink

phrogpilot73

After switching to helos he did go for a ride in Blue Angel #3. Thats a one seater. So he sat on the guys lap. Sounds like a violation of don't ask don't tell to me.

He started off gay, so it's not a huge surprise that he was tempted once more to ride the baloney pony. The important thing is that he saw the error of his ways, and stayed straight. :D

Ran into one of my IP's from South Field when I was at an airshow in Beaufort, and he had transitioned to F/A-18's. I was actually surprised to hear him say that he wished he hadn't.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Maybe....BUT....

lol! :blindfold

plc67

pilot
I was at HML 267 when VM02 split off. Most of the Navy trained IPs got their OV10 transition prior to the split while the Army trained couldn't be checked out until they attended the entire,minus VT1, jet syllabus. You had many multi thousand hour helo types trying for a
magic airplane checkout but I don't remember any Bronco drivers wanting a HUEY checkout, although a few of them were former helo drivers. We,HML267, got some A4 and F4 drivers who were force transitioned;they could hardly contain their joy. I don't recall any of them saying they volunteered and they were all experienced combat pilots with a minimum of one tour in Viet Nam so they were all high time. They all did a good job and one of them went on to the Shuttle program(then Captain Robert Springer).
When I was a student at VT1 all the Marines were combat vets and the vast majority of the navy types were former VS, plowbacks and other non tactical types so I didn't hold them in high regard(other than Medal of Honor winner Lt Lassen there weren't any HC7 or HAL3 types) . I was absolutely in awe of the Purple Fox veterans who wore their hair almost Navy length, were salty beyond belief wore the "Give A Shit" patch and flew the grunts into and out of some very anti American places. There were no Marine fixed wing types so it was a skewed presentation and I fell under the "If you ain't in the zone you ain't in the war" sell. Come orders time I get Hueys and am absolutely aghast but still wind up in a place I loved, but my buddies who flew jets were at a place they loved flying A4s and F4s. When I wound up on the market competing against them and their ilk it got less than handsome and I wound up instructing in Cessna 150/152s to build up my fixed wing time. It worked out great for me eventually but quite a few of my helo buddies wound up suits, quite successful suits, but still earthbound.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Get DAY VFR Traps only...

Not always the case. On my 2000 cruise on the the John C Stennis, our C-2s carrier qualified day and night.

They didn't carry pax at night, but did accept post sunset cat shots and some night traps to stay current all through deployment. Got us a lot more cargo transfered after daylight hours.

Nothing is written in stone...more like soft mud.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Not always the case. On my 2000 cruise on the the John C Stennis, our C-2s carrier qualified day and night.

They didn't carry pax at night, but did accept post sunset cat shots and some night traps to stay current all through deployment. Got us a lot more cargo transfered after daylight hours.

Yeah, VRC-30 did the night thing with all dets from 97-00 and carried on all the way through 03 with DET-5 in Japan. I did the day/night thing on my 99 cruise then as an IP at VAW-120. It is gone for now but like you say, soft mud.

either way....Still damn good living if you ask me.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
Being the statistically small number of people who've had a chance to sample both ...go jets.

Now, I don't define my person by my MWS/MDS, but life is so much easier for you if you're a pointy nose guy. If you're competent, smart, and have a good work ethic you will do well in the TACAIR community. There's just so many, many, many more doors open to you when your MDS starts with "F" or "F/A".

That's my only resentment. I actually put one choice down ages ago during selection, props. I got helos. All these years later I'm nearing more fixed wing, multi-engine, turbine and high-performance jet time than I have helo time. But I still think of myself as a helo guy.

I know where you're coming from though, I wanted AH-64s but the Army didn't have a commissioned officer aviation program and I didn't want to go warrant. So here I am.

I constantly tell my wife that I would fly helos again in a heartbeat if I could get airline salaries for EMS/PETRO/Etc. It's that much fun. Flying helos is a blast. I can only speak to flying "heavy/fat-boy" jets and that wasn't so much a blast. It was great being able to get from point A to B at .65 IMN and see the world. But the only fun to be had when flying is when you're tanking off another heavy and flying "form" on them for 100,000 pounds of gas (twice a sortie). And don't think flying with "other" people is all great either.

I've been on crews where everyone just fit and the dynamics were great. Both in helo and heavies. And I've been on crews where no one could agree that the sky was blue and everything that wasn't outlined in NATOPS was up to a "technedure" discussion or prolonged debrief post sortie. Those were the CRM nightmares when I kept thinking of what my best friend in Vipers tells me, "When the canopy goes down, you're the mayor". That's golden too.

I also wouldn't call 6.5 hours over Baby Whale Back looking through a SNIPER pod, conducting NTISR, doing SEAD, lasing or programming PGMs "boring holes" in the skies either.

Good luck.

Heloanjin

pilot
Anybody can zoom and boom. Anybody can yank and bank. But if you can't hover, you're queer.

I'd rather have my sister in a whore house than my brother in an F-18.

I think that pretty much digs up fire ant nest into a hornets nest while sitting on it.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Sorry should have clarified can only speak for east coast C-2's (I know AIRPAC and 5th Fleet do some night/pinky ops) but either way still pretty damn good living if you ask me.

It wasn't just pinky, it was dark as well....dark like a hairy ass crack. The majority of my night traps were unfortunetly not pinky. I certainly would have preferred it that way. But for now, no more night traps in the forseeable future for the COD drivers.